Cataracts

I'm going to have cataract surgery soon and I'd like to know how will this affect using a scope. The surgeon said the usual replacement lens correct for distance and most people will need glasses to read. I can opt for multifocal lens which would most likely eliminate needing glasses. What kind of experiences have you all had?

I had cataracts removed in both eyes as well as some additional surgery to deal with glaucoma in December and January. Before the surgery I could not identify what wind flags were doing past 80 yards. All things considered, I am fairly satisfied. As you have been told, distance vision is probably better than at any point in my life. I started wearing glasses when I was twelve years old. I now wear progressive bifocals most of the time, since I need them for any close up work. I am used to wearing glasses, so I do most of the time, but could easily do without them except for reading. I am more sensitive to light and need sunglasses whenever I'm out doors or driving. I have no trouble with scopes and I main use NF Competition 15x55 and March 10x60 or 40x60. I suspect you will be pleased with the results although it will take a few weeks for things to settle in. One other thing. If you're having both eyes done, they will only do one at a time. When you have the first one done, it will screw up your vision all around. The now good eye won't work with glasses and the "bad" eye will need them. You will learn to drive with one eye. I am 74 years old.

Rick

I had the surgery done last year in both eyes about a month apart, I opted for the standard or basic surgery without the enhanced replacement fluids. After the
first eye was done, which was painless, my eye was sensitive to light on the way home. The next morning was amazing how clear and bright everything was. After
the second eye surgery I could read without my reading glasses for the first time in 50+ years! I simply cannot believe the change in vision and my vision is 20-20.
Regards,

JDM

Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses and hope my surgery turns out as well as yours. Is the light sensitivity a side effect or the new lens being so much clearer?

Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses and hope my surgery turns out as well as yours. Is the light sensitivity a side effect or the new lens being so much clearer?

I can't say what the light sensitivity comes from. It just is. I'll add that my vision is now 20/20 in my right eye and 20/25 in the left. I had no discomfort from either procedure and would recommend it to anyone. If you choose the knife over the lazer Medicare will pay for nearly everything if you are old enough. The total was a little more than $10,000 for both eyes and both procedures. My out of pocket was less than $300.

Rick

good info on the knife vs laser and medicare, thanks, 71 and cats are getting in the way some. about the only thing left eye is good for is depth perception, brain doing the auto compensation thing - after repair takes awhile for re-programing i am told.

To answer your question on scope usage after cataract surgery, there was no discernable difference that I noticed after surgery. I wear corrective lens but can't wear them while looking through a scope. I never could as the image looks egg shaped. I'm sure I had to adjust the side focus somewhat after surgery but I really don't think it was very much. I'm using a March 48X52 High Master.

Last edited:
good info on the knife vs laser and medicare, thanks, 71 and cats are getting in the way some. about the only thing left eye is good for is depth perception, brain doing the auto compensation thing - after repair takes awhile for re-programing i am told.

I'll encourage you to get it done. I did have some difficulty between the first and the second and a short period of readjustment afterward. One upside is that I no longer even need glasses much of the time and I've worn them since age twelve. Downside is that close work isn't always easy. Bifocals work, but sometimes aren't enough. As far as using a scope, I would never shoot without glasses. I know of more that one who lost vision in an eye when a hot load did irreversible damage.

Rick

Since my cataracts were right in the center of my lenses, I had a hard time with the cross hairs being in focus regardless what I did with glasses or scope adjustment . Had both eyes done and paid the extra not covered by medicare to have the lazer used to remove the old lenses. Now am back to 20/20 in each eye, but the new color clarity was amazing. Hard to believe that things that I thought were OFF WHITE, were now bright white.

The first few days I did have haloing of lights at night, which soon went away.

My need for reading glasses was more from tired focusing muscles than from the cataracts, so I still need reading glasses, though not as critical as it had been.

Re-adjusted the focus on all my scopes and than no issues at all. Much easier to get on target and stay there.

Bob

Back