case trimming ?

I gave my new shiny PMA Case Trimmer a work out today.

The video and instructions show two ways to use it. If you have a Hardinge Turret Lathe laying around or know someone who does here is one more way.

First I bored a collet and then center a floating tool holder with a .375 piece of stock. I got my depth adjusted using the trimmer by hand, then I remove the adjustment knob and held it in the floating holder.

DSC06517sw.jpg

It ran pretty fast (slow RPM's), not that, that was really the point of the exercise. I completed 185 cases starting with the longest and moving in the cutter till each case set row glistened showing they had been trimmed.

Later I chamfered inside and out and lightly spun the case face on some steel wool.

It's been a long time since I trimmed any cases. Pretty satisfying seeing them looking all uniform the way they do.

Kind of trippy the way the little viewing port can be out of line where you can't see anything through it at first, then as soon as the cutter touches the case and starts to spin you can see through that whole area...

like magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerning the length to trim to... At least for factory barrels, I've heard .01" shorter than SAAMI spec. So for a case with a spec of 1.750" one would trim to 1.740" and not re-trim until they began to exceed 1.745" Is that reasonable?

I've also followed this for my custom chambers, but in that case, I know the reamer spec or measure from a chamber cast.
Again, is .01" shorter reasonable?

It was mentioned that cases generally shrink after fire-forming. So if a PPC chamber is reamed to accept a maximum case length of 1.515" then they can be fire-formed first and then trimmed...correct? Maybe to something like, 1.500"?

Like wilbur said shorter is better than too long. Doesnt really matter as long as its shorter just dont let it get too long!

Back