Case Trimmer

Y

Yesd Ied

I am a newbe, sort of. I just realized how important a bench type case trimmer is for what I want to do, and am looking for the best bang for the buck. Any recommendations, or even what not to get. Thanks

I have the Sinclair upgraded Wilson style trimmer with micrometer attachment and the shark fin case holder. Easy to set up and dead on for accuracy. I have had a few over the years and like this one the best.

I have the Sinclair upgraded Wilson style trimmer with micrometer attachment and the shark fin case holder. Easy to set up and dead on for accuracy. I have had a few over the years and like this one the best.

Ditto

Wilson trimmer with some sort of stand. I've got a stand that uses a toggle clamp to hold the case holder. Simple, relatively inexpensive, good as any and better than most. Alternatively, if your use is greater than about 20 cases (high power competition) go for a power cutter such as abintx mentioned.

I'll go 6 for the Sinclair-Wilson trimmer setup. The micrometer setup reading matches exactly with my caliper reading after trimming. Sure reduces the setup time and trial and error misses. Don

I've found this to be "spot on" day in and day out, and the easiest to set up and use: http://www.natchezshooterssupplies.... Trim-Pro Power Case Trimmer Kit&startRow=976 Watch the video.

There are three operations that you need to make to the mouth of the case: 1. length trim, 2. inside chamfer and 3. outside chamfer. This RCBS system and the similar Forster system can do all three simultaneously and repeatably. The Wilson only does the trimming, with the other two steps done by hand. The important question, given that trimming is accurate with any of these systems, is how accurate and repeatable are your chamfers, and how much difference does it make.

Cheers,
Keith

I use the Wilson with a micrometer. I hand crank mine. Only takes a couple of seconds as, unlike most folks, I trim every firing. But, isn't there an attachment that allows one to use the Wilson with a drill motor or similar?

But, isn't there an attachment that allows one to use the Wilson with a drill motor or similar?

Yep. It replaces the crank handle on the cutter shaft. I bought one but it's a bit more cumbersome to use unless you have a lot to remove. Hand cranking is usually more than good enough.

Wilson also makes an inside chamfering reamer (they call it deburring) that works much in the same way as their trimmer.
http://www.lewilson.com/uniformdeburringtool.html
I agree, if doing these operations without a "jig", the case can/will change length based on how much force you use when doing the chamfering/deburring. (not 100% sure it is enough to see on paper, but....) With the Wilson, when doing the trimming and inside chamfering, the case length stays the same from case to case. In terms of outside deburring, I still do that by hand without a "jig". If Wilson ever makes one for outside deburring, I will buy it.

Last edited:
There are three operations that you need to make to the mouth of the case: 1. length trim, 2. inside chamfer and 3. outside chamfer. The important question, given that trimming is accurate with any of these systems, is how accurate and repeatable are your chamfers, and how much difference does it make.

Page 157 of TB's book.

Tony Boyer chamfers cases by hand giving him more feel than doing it with a powered screwdriver or drill.

He does ONE turn [by hand]
, then checks the case mouth with his fingertip to feel if it is smooth.

He smooths chatter marks from the chamfering by turning the case mouth against xxxx steel wool.

Mr. B. keeps it simple. No rocket science tools or jigs required.

Last edited:
My Grandma is an great cook. She makes really good cookies/pies/etc. She has been baking since she was young. When she bakes; she doesn't use measuring cups or measuring spoons, she just dumps in what she thinks is right. Her stuff always turns out good. When I asked her for her recipe she just says - a little of this - and a little of that. I tried following it and the dogs wouldn't eat it. She wasn't being mean, she had just forgotten what it was like to not know something about baking. I guess there is no replacement for years and years of experience. Until I spend countless hours in front of the stove, I'll have to use measuring cups and measuring spoons to make something edible. You can connect the dots.

Back