Can you wear out Anschutz?

bigredplane

Hi I'm new to this forums. I looking to buy a Annie. But I can't do the $$$ for a new one. I was looking at a 1977 Match 54 it does have the Super Match Action. What I need to know is do you guys think you can wear one out. The guy don't know the history of the gun. He's only had it for 6 months but he needs money now. Its looks good on the outside but that don't make it shoot good. What do you think my chances are of it being a good one still?.
My other option is maybe a New 64MP.

Scott

Scott,
I don't think you will shoot one out, however you can destroy one by aggressive cleaning. A borescope would help decide. Only real way to find out if it still shoots is to go shoot it.
The SuperMatch is way better than a '64
Regards,
Don.H.

I have a 54 made in the 70,s like new give me a call at 812- 454-5643

Yes, you can wear it out, but it is unlikely that the one you're looking at is worn out. I bought one that had belonged to a United Kingdom rifle team and then was sold to a school team in the U.S. It looked like crap. The estimated rounds through it were around 75,000. The bore still looked good and it still shot good, but I had it rebarreled anyway. BTW, it only cost $243 and it was a 54.

77 Anschutz

Hi I'm new to this forums. I looking to buy a Annie. But I can't do the $$$ for a new one. I was looking at a 1977 Match 54 it does have the Super Match Action. What I need to know is do you guys think you can wear one out. The guy don't know the history of the gun. He's only had it for 6 months but he needs money now. Its looks good on the outside but that don't make it shoot good. What do you think my chances are of it being a good one still?.
My other option is maybe a New 64MP.

Scott

If the Anschutz you are looking at was made in '77 it should be an "X" gun. The serial number should end with an X. Most were very good shooting rifles with exceptional barrels.

So sounds like this could still be a good gun. There only one about the gun. It has a Super Match 54 bolt. So the gun has no safety because I thing would of originally came with a reg. Match 54 bolt with a wing safety. Are the bolts interchangeable ?

Thanks scott

They might interchange but I don't think I would consider them interchangable. So, I guess it has Super Match bolt but not an 5018 trigger?

1600 Series Anschutz

So sounds like this could still be a good gun. There only one about the gun. It has a Super Match 54 bolt. So the gun has no safety because I thing would of originally came with a reg. Match 54 bolt with a wing safety. Are the bolts interchangeable ?

Thanks scott

The gun you are looking at is a 1600 series Anschutz. This was the transition gun between the 1400 and 1800 series. The safety will be on the trigger, which will be the first edition of the 5018. If you remove the bolt you will see an open slot on the bottom that will allow you to see the the firing pin and spring. Anschutz said this produced a faster lock time. The 1600 or "X" series is very sought after in Europe and has been used by some of the top shooters in the world. The gun's reputation is talked about in the book "Ways of the Rifle". Anschutz attributes the legendary accuarcy of these rifles to an exceptional batch of British steel used for the barrels. Although the safety could have been removed, I imagine it is there, just not a wing safety. And, I seriously doubt the barrel (short of abuse) is shot out.

The gun you are looking at is a 1600 series Anschutz. This was the transition gun between the 1400 and 1800 series. The safety will be on the trigger, which will be the first edition of the 5018. If you remove the bolt you will see an open slot on the bottom that will allow you to see the the firing pin and spring. Anschutz said this produced a faster lock time. The 1600 or "X" series is very sought after in Europe and has been used by some of the top shooters in the world. The gun's reputation is talked about in the book "Ways of the Rifle". Anschutz attributes the legendary accuarcy of these rifles to an exceptional batch of British steel used for the barrels. Although the safety could have been removed, I imagine it is there, just not a wing safety. And, I seriously doubt the barrel (short of abuse) is shot out.

Thanks For the info. I didn't know all that. :eek: Sounds like this one should be a good gun. Man this Benchrest Central Forum is great. Were can a guy learn so much in a short time. :):):)

Thanks Scott

Yes I got the SN off the gun its 14@@@@X with a 77 stamp on the barrel. The safety is on the trigger, just the lever in missing.

Last edited:
Have you bought yet? If not, do you want to share the name of the person who has it? No tire kickers here.

This should be a good rifle. I won the UKBR22 'World' Championship with my 1613 147647X in 2004 (Only because there was nobody from USA shooting!).

Won the British Short Range prone Championship in 2006 with my 1607.

To quote someone on this forum 'Thems good guns'.

Walter

This should be a good rifle. I won the UKBR22 'World' Championship with my 1613 147647X in 2004 (Only because there was nobody from USA shooting!).

Won the British Short Range prone Championship in 2006 with my 1607.

To quote someone on this forum 'Thems good guns'.

Walter

I hope so too. I just got back from picking her up today. Well do a good inspection here soon. I need to throw down a cold one after 7 hrs. of driving to get her . By the way Walter do you know about how many rounds were through your gun before you won the Championship with it in 2004? You obviously how to take care of a gun. I was just wondering if you use a brush at all in it?

Thanks Scott

Last edited:
dude nice choice.......i would buy a used 54 than a new 64 any day of the week even if it was $1.50 a case...lol........i have a pic of my 1613 on rimfire central the annies pics page 5 check it out when you get a chance i got it from mac tilton mtguns.......well anyways congrats!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
dude nice choice.......i would buy a used 54 than a new 64 any day of the week even if it was $1.50 a case...lol........i have a pic of my 1613 on rimfire central the annies pics page 5 check it out when you get a chance i got it from mac tilton mtguns.......well anyways congrats!!!

I looked at yours, NICE GUN. :pMine must be like a 1611. It has what I would call prone stock. Look's just the one on rimcentral show us your annies page 7 post#96 of Dave 101. I will try to post some pictures later.

Scott

i was looking into a 1411 also but the stock on the xx13 series made the difference the look of the stock just got me hoooked:D....but yeah sweet rifle you got there its anschutz gonna be a pile driver!!!!.......try some wolfe match extra i have fine results with them and welcome to the annie family!!!!

Ya a XX13 would of been nicer. I'm hoping some day to go to a benchrest stock of somebody's. But $695.0 for a Anschutz one, I don't know about that. That's alot of jack. I already have some Wolf Match Extra. I get it from
Sinclair's, not the cheapest but I it's only about 2 miles from were I live. No shipping cost. I havn't had a chance to shoot it yet been helping the in-laws move can't get out of that. I'm hoping to shoot her Sunday.

Attachments

• Anschutz 009.jpg
    Anschutz 009.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,243
  • Anschutz 007.jpg
    Anschutz 007.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 919
  • Anschutz 012.jpg
    Anschutz 012.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 980
Looks like a fine example of an Anschutz. While you are waiting to get a real benchrest stock for it, you can make a 3" wide by 5" long piece of aluminum or delrin and bolt or screw it onto the forearm. That will ride the front rest much better than a rounded forearm (in the picture it appears to be rounded). Sinclair International also makes a plastic forearm adapter that clamps on with nylon screws. I've done them both ways, and the homemade is more solid, but the Sinclair is fast and easy and you don't have to poke any holes in the stock.

Just a thought..........

p.s. just checked Sinclairs on-line and I could not find that item anymore. Perhaps it is listed in the paper catalog.

Back