Can I just swap out a Remington 7mmMag bolt for a 270 Remington bolt?

VaniB

Geees.....it seems each day opens up another possible alternative and question. Have patience with me guys. :confused:

I want to buy a stainless Remington BDL long action and have a smith install a 280AI barrel onto it. I want the repeater mode to function. I'm trying to get rid of my stainless steel BDL synthetic 7mmMag rifle and trade it for (or sell it and use the funds) for the same kind of rifle in a standard none-belted cartridge like a 30-06, 25-06, 270, or 280 cartridge. That rifle will be used as the donor action.

A guy contacted me to tell me that he would be willing to swap out the bolt from his 270 rifle for my bolt from my 7mmMag rifle. Will this work? Is it really an easy cookie-cutter fit like that to just swap out bolts and receivers? Are their fine tolerances that have to be checked and possibly adjusted at the factory during production, or is a swap out all their is to it and I need not worry? Also, do you think there will be much difference between the 270 and 7mmMag followers and other parts in the magazine box that might cause feeding problems between the different cartridges?

VaniB

If you're going to fit a new barrel, swapping the bolt before-hand will not matter. As said earlier, the "feed rails" on a Rem are part of the box magazine and it would be a good idea to swap it out too.

BTW, "fine tolerances" and "Remington 700" are a contradiction in terms. ;) ;)

P.S. - If your new action has the guide rail on the right lug raceway, make sure his bolt has the corresponding groove. Otherwise your smith will have to cut one. No big deal, though.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Test the feeding with your present 7mm Mag with some 06 based ammo... if it loads into the magazine and feeds up and out of the magazine you won't need those parts...

I think the bolt swap is all you need to do...

Test the feeding with your present 7mm Mag with some 06 based ammo... if it loads into the magazine and feeds up and out of the magazine you won't need those parts...

I think the bolt swap is all you need to do...

Dennis,
Gosh, how simple a test was that!? I don't know why I didn't thnk of that. Yes, I've just now loaded a couple of dummy 30-06 rounds in my 7mmMag magazine and the bolt swept them right up into the chamber. Thanks.

QUOTE;

BTW, "fine tolerances" and "Remington 700" are a contradiction in terms.

Ray,
As Larry the cable guy would say; "Now that there is funny." Almost choked the soda out of my nose when I read that.

No, I don't much really know about the gunsmithing particulars of the Remington 700 mechanics, but have heard that too about the tolerances not always being real consistant. I have a little bit of trouble in visualizing the technicals of the "lug raceway" and the "cooresponding groove" you described. But, I suppose as long as Dennis's test worked OK, then I shouldn't too much worry about it now.

HOWEVER...... I did have a gentleman a little while ago email me to ask me whether or not my 7mmMag Remington 700 from 1995 has the kind of bolt that locks in the chamber when the safety is applied. Well, wouldn't that be a kick in the butt to trade bolts through the mail with somebody and then have that rude little awakening that the bolts don't operate the same!! :( Perhaps I better go dig up a Remington short action in the safe and see if I have a locking bolt that does that. It seems many years ago back in the 60's I owned a Remington that did that, and I have since forgotten all about the Rem 700 rifles that have the feature.....or the rifles that do not.

Last edited:
I thought that all Rem 700s had the bolt locking feature, but what do I know.

Regardless, it's a simple arrangement and any smith can mill the slot in the bolt in 5 minutes time, or simply grind off the ear on the safety which takes about 1 minute. Either way will work. Some guys grind off the ear even if it's not necessary in order to operate the bolt with the safety on.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the reply I got at another websight;

QUOTE;

If the bolt that you are trading for does not have a cut in the left locking lug a cut will have to be made in the bolt lug if your receiver has the anti bind feature. Also, I believe there are different cuts in the receiver for belted cartridges so feeding could possibly be an issue. Otherwise it should work. Dennis

No surprise that nothing comes easy. I haven't a clue what I'm looking at in my receiver nor the difference in bolts and receivers from one Remingto 700 to another. Think I'll play it safe and stick to the original plan to sell my 7mmMag rifle and buy a whole new one. Can you imagine me swapping the bolts out via mail with some guy in Wyoming only to find that the bolt I get doesn't work. Wouldn't my ad look just dandy "For Sale; Like new Remington stainless 700 7mmMag. Rifle looks to be unfired. Bolt doesn't fit. $600 firm"

This is the reply I got at another websight;

QUOTE;

If the bolt that you are trading for does not have a cut in the left locking lug a cut will have to be made in the bolt lug if your receiver has the anti bind feature. Also, I believe there are different cuts in the receiver for belted cartridges so feeding could possibly be an issue. Otherwise it should work. Dennis

No surprise that nothing comes easy. I haven't a clue what I'm looking at in my receiver nor the difference in bolts and receivers from one Remingto 700 to another. Think I'll play it safe and stick to the original plan to sell my 7mmMag rifle and buy a whole new one. Can you imagine me swapping the bolts out via mail with some guy in Wyoming only to find that the bolt I get doesn't work. Wouldn't my ad look just dandy "For Sale; Like new Remington stainless 700 7mmMag. Rifle looks to be unfired. Bolt doesn't fit. $600 firm"

Obviously you will be using a gunsmith for your build...

He can;
Remove the 'ear' of the old safety that locks the bolt down... It is so simple to do
It is almost as easy to make the cut in the locking lug if it needs it...

VaniB

These things sound a lot more complicated than they actually are. The chances are that none of them will have to be done assuming that the bolts are the same approximate age. If they are needed, any smith can do them in a couple of minutes. I've done them with nothing more than a hacksaw and a file to smooth the rough edges. But, it's your decision.

Ray

Vani
I read a post by you on another forum and thought I would reply here.
My local gunsmith is Jim Ketchum at 707-762-3014 he isn't cheap but he can ream your Wilson die and install the groove in your bolt should it need it and even install your barrel.
If your smith isn't cooperating give him a call and tell him Lynn sent you.
Lynn

Back