Can a 6mmBR Be Magazine Fed?

here is a picture of my howa action, the sleve is machined in just behind the threads

sleve.jpg

I know what you are saying. You would be much better off installing split sleeves on your bolt body. You did get my PM I trust?

I got your pm, everyone is entitled their opinion, doesn't make it right ;)

I am not a gunsmith, all my gunsmith work is done by a professional gunsmith that is considered the best one in the country, I trust his opinion and work more than what I read on the internet...

dansig so your gunsmith is using the outside surface of the lugs to center the bolt?)chill(

dansig so your gunsmith is using the outside surface of the lugs to center the bolt?)chill(

if you put a sleve in the action and turn down the lugs in a lathe to center the bolt and get a tight fit then the bolt can't move out of the center line..

so it's an easy thing to do and it works.

I sent you a few PMs from well known gunsmiths. They will remain un named, but they are as respected as any in the USA and Canada. Yes we are all entitled to an opinion, I just trust a well know group of gunsmiths.

Howas have a counterbore in the breech end of the barrel...very much like a Remington. I can only assume that you gunsmith is doing this to eliminate the od of the bolt nose from touching the id of the counterbore. If that is the case, what I don't understand is how it's better for the lugs to contact the sleeve than for the bolt nose to touch the counterbore id. As for holding the bolt body, as to help maintain lug contact, the cocking piece is indeed 90°, so that's much better in this regard than a Remington. Also, JMHO, but sleeving the back and front of the bolt can be done to set the clearance wherever you want it to be. This makes more sense to me, but I'm sure I could learn something.--Mike

So....After looking at all the pictures and such and finally seeing what you're talking about with the Howa.....

I can only come to the conclusion that your bolt MIGHT be centered as well as sleeving the bolt to tighten it up.

What I DON'T see is a good clean surface on the face of the action to mate with the shoulder of the barrel.

the action recenty got painted, the face of the action was trued in a lathe, it just has a thin coat of paint that I will remove when I put a new barrel on the action.

If you are looking for a detachable magazine assembly for the Remington (all calibers) or a Howa short action look at Wyatt's Outdoor Inc. www.wyattoutdoor.com they have a very well made unit.
DanO

I like that idea on the Howa, it looks easier to do than sleeving the bolt, adds support/centering closer to the bolt face, and is a pretty intersting idea (to me anyway). The bolt nose counterbore cannot be a tighter tolerace because of the extractor, it has to have clearance to allow the extractor to snap over the rim of the case. Wondering if the barrel tenon is cut to just slip inside the ID of the sleeve and obviously it must have clearance between the end of the bushing and the barrel...you said it's pressed in?

Now whether or not it's overall better than a 700 Rem would be a tough argument in the US where the 700 holds a popularity vote many times greater than any other action. The factory Howa trigger is pretty decent with a little work to get the creep out and safety working properly but not nearly as common as the 700 stuff.

Thanks for posting that pic, I may try that someday.

Back