Can a 308 BF with SAKO extractor pull PPC?

Going to barrel my XP-100 to PPC. The XP-100 currently has a .700 diameter Kiff coned bolt with .308 bolt face equipped with a SAKO extractor. Can the extractor be tweeked to pull a PPC. Not wanting it to eject just reliably pull a PPC.

One other question about the Kiff bolt and it's firing pin protrusion. I have a one-piece Kiff bolt with Kiff firing pin assembly. The protrusion measues .044" and I am concerned it is not sufficient. Is there an easy way to get more protrusion? The obvious way is to take a little off the firing pin stop but wanted to see how others address this issue.

Thanks,
Kris

For those that are wondering

The Sako extractor did not reliably pull a PPC set up as a standard 308 bolt face. As you all know the difference in bolt face diameter between a 308 and PPC is about .032". I decided I needed to lower the Sako extractor into the bolt face by .016". I accomplished this by gently taking off .015" on the bottom side of the Sako extractor from the pivot bump towards the face of the extractor. I sloped it so the extractor would still lay flat. The thickness of the Sako extractor right at the bolt face was .110" so I took it down to .095". The Sako now reliably pulls a PPC without altering the bolt body. If I want to go back to a 308 all I have to do is insert a new Sako extractor into the unaltered slot. They say always alter the cheapest part first:D

The firing pin protrusion bothered me so I took .010" off the firing pin stop. Now it measures .054". I feel better!

The one-piece Kiff bolts are very nice. Thanks Dave for making these available for the XP-100.

Kris Whitman

The Sako extractor did not reliably pull a PPC set up as a standard 308 bolt face. As you all know the difference in bolt face diameter between a 308 and PPC is about .032". I decided I needed to lower the Sako extractor into the bolt face by .016". I accomplished this by gently taking off .015" on the bottom side of the Sako extractor from the pivot bump towards the face of the extractor. I sloped it so the extractor would still lay flat. The thickness of the Sako extractor right at the bolt face was .110" so I took it down to .095". The Sako now reliably pulls a PPC without altering the bolt body. If I want to go back to a 308 all I have to do is insert a new Sako extractor into the unaltered slot. They say always alter the cheapest part first:D

The firing pin protrusion bothered me so I took .010" off the firing pin stop. Now it measures .054". I feel better!

The one-piece Kiff bolts are very nice. Thanks Dave for making these available for the XP-100.

Kris Whitman

Kris, I've set sako style extractors to depth for PPC's before and used BR bolt faces. The end of the extractor needs to be beveled a little more to allow the case head to snap over the BR sized case head. Attached is a link to a paintbrush drawing that I made from an article of Bob Brackney's from Rifle magazine years ago for installing Sako extractors in Remington bolts. I've used Bob's dimensions and method from that article from the time it was published.

Mike

Back