calibre questions

Edward Ashley

Local shop has a couple of Remington 700's, a VLS and VSSF, both in 22-250. Is this an appropriate F-class calibre? Get blown around at longer distances? (PS- does anyone else find all the variety of different Remington 700 models confusing?)

They also have a Savage 12-LRPV in .223 Rem., but no indication of whether the twist is 1:7 or 1:9. The former would be fine I would think, but if it is 1:9, will that present a problem at longer distances? My impression is that for 80 or 90 grain bullets you need 1:7.

Thanks, newbie questions, but I gotta start somewhere.

A 22/250 would be OK to get you going at short to mid ranges, say out to 600yds, though the 55gn pills will be blowing around a bit by then. Once the barrel has burnt out (barrels are a consumable) you will know by then what sort of caliber you want to rebarrel it to. A better option would be to look for a 2nd hand Savage F class rifle in either 6BR or 6.5x284. It might have a shot out barrel but will have a more suitable stock and a stiff singleshot action.

As for the 223. I would definitely prefer a 7" twist. I do use a 9" twist 22BR, but I wish it was an 8" twist so I could use the good 80gn pills. You should be able to use 70 or 75gn Bergers in a 9" twist if you end up getting it.

Last edited:
A better option would be to look for a 2nd hand Savage F class rifle in either 6BR or 6.5x284. It might have a shot out barrel but will have a more suitable stock and a stiff singleshot action.

I have a Savage 12 LRPV, LH port, and like it very much, but it is in .204 Ruger, and I am not sure how far out that is good for if there is any wind. I have noticed drift at just 100 yards when it is gusty.
I have looked at the Savage website, and am curious about that F-Class stock, why the flat bottom? I would associate that with benchrest rifles. Why wouldn't an LRPV do as well for F-class, less weight?
thanks for your comments.

Yes, I have reviewed those rules. And am still confused about the Savage F-class (open) butt design with its flat bottom, looks like it is ready to drop right down onto bench surface. As I read the rule, no contact with hard surface for butt is permitted.
"A front rest may be employed for either the rifle’s fore-end of (or?) for the forward hand. If attached, clamped,
or held to the rifle, the front rest must be included in the rifle’s overall weight (Rule 3.4(a)).
(4) No portion of the rifle’s butt or pistol grip shall rest directly on the ground or on any hard surface.
Furthermore, any rear rest employed shall not be attached, clamped, or held onto the rifle in any
manner. Mechanically adjustable rear rests are not allowed.
(5) As an alternative to (3) or (4), the rifle may be rested on a simple central support such as a rolled jacket,
towel, blanket, or groundsheet, or upon a sandbag or beanbag. "
That is an extract from the open class rule for rests.
So I don't see how that long flat bottom on the rear of the stock of the model 12 F class rifle fits in, does it just slide on a rabbit eared rear bag?

Belly Benchrest is a common name for F class, but it differs in that targets are pulled and marked with a spotter between shots, so you can't machine gun like in benchrest. Look in the U.S F Open team website for pictures of set ups.

Last edited:
Charles E, are you sure your not Mrs Prichard my old English teacher. yes a few dyslexic typos in there. All fixed up now.

ED- depends on how far your f class matches are. i have shot my 22-250 vssf at 500 yards with great results. at 600 and 1000 the wind here gives me $&&777^ even with my 6.5-284.

Back