Caldwell The Rock BR

P

PRS

Can anyone comment on the above rest? Looking for a sturdy rest for load testing and precision groups at 100 yards. How does it compare with respect to sturdiness when compared to premium rests? I know it won't have the features but I'm simply looking at shooting from a sturdy repeatable rest.

Thanks
Si

I use one quite a bit. The main problem I've had with mine is when you push the rifle against the stop after shooting a round the rifle won't return to the prior aiming point. After looking it over I decided the main problem was the bushing that goes between the base and the post. It's just too sloppy. I turned a new bushing for it to tighter tolerances and it's much better. Having said that, it isn't as good as a premium rest. I have a Farley on order after using one for a while. The Farley is real nice!

Rest

Can anyone comment on the above rest? Looking for a sturdy rest for load testing and precision groups at 100 yards. How does it compare with respect to sturdiness when compared to premium rests? I know it won't have the features but I'm simply looking at shooting from a sturdy repeatable rest.

Thanks
Si
I have the bald eagle cast iron version with the Windage top. Works good, mine seams to be really steady and tight, not much wobble at all. Definitely helped me cut down on the occasional flyers I had when working up a load. Been shooting short range benchrest with it and my scores went up, not getting that flyer helped a lot. I put an add on accurateshooter and bought one new in the box unopened for 150.00 and shipping, think I got an extremely good deal on it, used ones usually go for around that. There is certainly better out there but it's hard to beat for the price. I added a whidden front bag rider to fit the bag. It's not as fast as a joystick but a good solid rest .

I use the bottom only and had a Greenlaw top made and threaded to be able to use with the Caldwell base. Top is inadequate at best and I ain't that fussy.

If you go the Bald Eagle route, I strongly suggest the cast iron slingshot model. I had the cast iron triangle type Bald Eagle and it was easy to tip the rear leg upward with not much pressure against the front stop. I sold it and purchased the slingshot model. It's proven to be much more steady with forward pressure.

For the money, the Bald Eagle rests are excellent IMO. I know there are better rests but they are more expensive.

Like others have stated, the lower is good and sturdy, but the upper windage adjustment is not good. That is because the adjustment goes in an arc, not a side-to-side movement, like for example, a Sinclair. The arc type adjustment is not repeatable, nor steady.
Having said that, I continue to use it and compensate until I can afford a better quality front rest. I can shoot sub-MOA with the Caldwell Rock BR rest. But there is much better out there.

Can anyone comment on the above rest? Looking for a sturdy rest for load testing and precision groups at 100 yards. How does it compare with respect to sturdiness when compared to premium rests? I know it won't have the features but I'm simply looking at shooting from a sturdy repeatable rest. monkey mart

Thanks
Si

I own the cast iron Bald Eagle model with the Windage top. Works well; mine appears to be incredibly tight and steady with very no wobble. Definitely helped me reduce the number of flyers I occasionally had when building up a load. With it, I've been benchrest shooting at close range, and my scores have improved; not getting that flier was a big assist. I placed an ad on AccurateShooter and paid $15.00 plus delivery for a brand-new, unopened unit. I believe I got a great deal as secondhand units typically cost around that much. Although there are undoubtedly better options available, the pricing is hard to beat. To suit the bag, I installed a Whidden front bag rider. It's a decent solid rest but not as quick as a joystick.

Back