Buying new Model 12, Twist choice?

K

kayakid

buying a model 12lrpv. In .223, Can get in 1in9 or 1in7 twist rate. I am looking for info on the lightest bullets that will shoot well in the 1in7 twist. I am leaning toward the 1in9 barrel because I plan to shoot 50 to 69 gr. bullets the most. I will get the 1in7 if these bullets also shoot very well in it. Any experience with this? Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a model 12? Ive never seen one on the line. We usually shoot 65-68 gr bullets in a 13-14 twist 6mm

He's referring to the Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter (LRPV) in 6BR.

Have never used one, but if it lets you shoot, go for it. Higher twist == lighter bullets and lesser range. If you plan on using it under 300 yard/meters, then the < 70gr bullets are fine. If you plan on shooting at 300m or longer, heavier bullets are required, which means a faster twist barrel.

Last edited:
1 in 7 shoot Lapua 77 gr very nice. 69 SMK okay. 200y.
1 in 9 will shoot a Sierra 52 good. A custom 52 gn flat base very good. 200y all in the 10 ring.

I forgot to mention an important item.

I am getting the model 12 in .223

I like a 9 twist for the @65 gr bullets. 10tw for 52. Some say a 12 is good for the 50's too. 223 is lite for a big 70+ but youll need the 7 for that

buying a model 12lrpv. In .223, Can get in 1in9 or 1in7 twist rate. I am looking for info on the lightest bullets that will shoot well in the 1in7 twist. I am leaning toward the 1in9 barrel because I plan to shoot 50 to 69 gr. bullets the most. I will get the 1in7 if these bullets also shoot very well in it. Any experience with this? Please help.

Go with the 1 in 9 and then shoot some of Ronnie Cheek's 63 grain 22 caliber bullets: http://rcheek.com/page3.shtml But only if you shed the factory barrel. :)

My apologies Lojak.
I was gonna delete my post but that would just confuse things more.
Dick

No worries :) It's Google & posterity that concerns me, not so much your comment, you just pointed it out.

Back on topic, just get out there and shoot. If you find you like the caliber, think about a custom barrel sometime. If you do grab some of the custom bullets, do report back on how they perform in a factory barrel :)

I have a Savage model 12 circa 1998 that I shoot from time to time. As mentioned in a post above the 1/9 twist is a good one for the .223 rem and that is what I have in both my savage and AR. They both shoot Berger 60-ish bullets quite well. Mainly I use the 65gr WEB bullets because I have a lifetime supply- not sure those are still made, but the rifles also shoot the Berger 64 gr FB quite well, too. Lapua 69 gr. Scenars work ok as do Berger 68 gr BTs and 70 gr. VLDs.I have tried more expensive custom bullets in both rifles since I had some on hand (used in my 22BR) and can't say I thought that the rifles were shooting any better with them. I think I had reached the point where any further refinements were wasted on factory actions amd stocks, even though the barrels had been replaced with Shilen select match tubes.

If you want more opinions from people who shoot savages a lot, you might want to look at the Savage Shooters Forum Dot Com..........................

Last edited:
Back