Bushing Dies

R

rozinc

Is it possible to use a bushing die to neck size a different cartridge with a longer neck than the original caliber? ie does the neck just protrude through the bushing , or is there a stop above the bushing that limits the length that can be resized? I would like to purchase a ,say, 30BR and then use it for 6mmBR and 22BR by just using the appropriate bushings for the caliber, if this is feasible.

Ron

Redding bushings are .375 tall. If you size more than .375 of the neck it will hit the stop that Redding uses to hold the bushing in the die. It should work as
long as you only size .375 or less.

Ron, I'm prolly tighter than you......It's hard for me to use a whole sheet of paper toweling...... and I have tried what you're planning to do ;)

It doesn't work well.

Draw a picture on a sheet of paper of a cutaway view of the 30BR die, nor draw in the 6 and 22 and you'll see an unsupported section in the shoulder-to-neck area.

FWIW it is possible to use 22 bushings in a 6BR die, not GOOD but possible because they're closer in size.

I'll vote no though, in all cases of mix-N-match. IMO you will lose accuracy and caselife. Case life you _could_ live with I guess but accuracy????

nahhh

:)

al

Thanks guys!
I might give it a try, I can always use the bushings anyway in the correct dies. Do need the 30 BR die and 6BR die in any event.

Thanks for the length info on the Redding bushing, that will work with my Wilson Arrow, which is my cheap way to get the 30 degree shoulder and longer neck than the Swift sized (To cheap to get a custom Wilson Arrow die made) The 6PPC die is very close to the Arrow dimensions in the shoulder area, but of course the OAL is considerable different , as well as the taper, but the PPC has less taper than the Arrow so that should work.
Ron

I have good results using a 340 WBY bushing die for 300 WBY and 300 H&H. I also use the same die body for 260, 7-08 and 308 buying only the bushings I need. Runnout is no different for any of them. I have no idea about the 30 BR switch.

Thanks for the info Dennis!
I'm starting to get a handle on this bushing die stuff now. Like Al says, it could get to be a problem with runout and maybe bulging at the shoulder/body/neck junction if I have to start bumping the shoulder back . I'm new to this bushing stuff, so all these little tips are very helpful. I suppose I could just buy the dies, but there wouldn't be any fun in just doing that right away.

Are the tolerances in the actual body part of the die any different because of the different sizes of bushings used for tension, or is that a sort of non issue. I have read that there is a radius at the bottom of the redding bushings that has to be accounted for when adjusting the length of sizing on the neck?
Ron

typical bushing dies- my experience is limited to Redding products, do not resize the body, although I think you can get a die that does resize the body but allows for bushings to adjust the neck tension. Because of this, I can't image that the die for a 243 is any different than the die for a 358 Win or anything in between OTHER THAN the markings on the die.

I use mis-matched dies all the time. I reload for a 300 that is somewhat tight so I use a 375 H&H die to size the body because it is the tightest of all the magnum dies I have. I use a 7-08 die to size down 308 in the first step to 260 Rem.

The bushings will ONLY size part of the neck on MOST cases. You typically can't use them to case form for this reason. For a hunting round where lots of bullet pull is desired, they are not the best way to size your neck as they only get a portion of it.

For my hunting calibers, I have sent brand new full-length sizing dies back to the manufacturer to have them hone the necks to the size best suited for a particular chamber- this way you get total case support and the entire neck size. For BR stuff, this is not necessary.

You can buy the bushing and try it-the same bushings fit all dies whether Wilson, Redding, Forster or whatever. They are .500x.375 with just a difference in the whole and radius.

Typically, carbide is only available in BR sizes, ie; 6mm and some 308. I have tried to buy some in .289, 290 and 291 to no avail.

Back