Bush 40X? What dia, & pitch?

Boy! talk about getting good answers. How much difference have you seen, with a good barrel, comparing the best point of rotation with the worst? While I am at it, not worrying about weight (within reason) what barrel contour and length would you suggest, and why?

You’re correct. They got together and made two prototype rifles utilizing an indexing bushing with a Turbo action and Gene’s “Ultralight” stock. Gene kept one and the other was sent to me.

This is passing strange. When I got up with Gene about an Ultralight for a 40-X centerfire, he said he didn't have one. He sold me a prototype he'd made for a Diamondback. It took some work to get it to fit the 40-X (actually, a Stiller Predator). This recently, in the middle of 2010. Is there something different about the 40-X rimfire as far as the stock would go?

Melvin,
You’re right. It’s a little shaky, but by keeping it lightweight (3,500 lbs) I can easily move it anywhere I want with one of my smaller tractors. LOL
Bring one of your pistols to Nebraska someday and I’ll give you the 10 cent tour.

Rputzbach,
The barrel shoulder always tightens against the face of the receiver, but as the bushing is turned the barrel will mate with the action in any direction you want the bore curve indexed to.

Joe,
The barrel is pretty much a standard reverse taper. It’s a Benchmark 2 groove with 17” twist.
A year or two ago, Don Matzeder said he was going to plant it in his garden because he was tired of shooting keyholes with it in cooler weather. Since I was interested in doing some ballistic testing with poorly stabilized projectiles, I offered to buy it.
Being the nice guy he is, Don sent me the barrel free of charge and wouldn’t even accept the shipping costs. I sent him a check anyway and I expect him to buy the first beer when we see each other again.

Boyd,
I don’t want to derail your thread with a discussion of indexing. If you’re interested, I’ve done some very preliminary testing and expect to spend maybe the next 6 months or so investigating it. Here’s a link to what I’ve done thus far and what my future plans are:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/Smallbore/messages/?msg=285.1
The site requires registration and no posting is allowed unless you provide your full name.
Regarding barrel length and contours....I have opinions, but they'd cause another train derailment in your thread. Ask the experts. LOL

Charles,
Give Gene a call. The last 40X I owned was built by Seeley Masker and that was a long time ago if you’re familiar with his name. The last rimfire 40X I had was a collectable sporter that I foolishly sold too cheap. I don’t have the slightest idea about what difficulties there might be over fitting Gene’s stock to other actions.

Landy

Landy...

Howdy,
REEEAAAALLY nice looking setup for testing!! And a fine looking Swindlehurst too! I saw Nesika Chad's thread about that rifle, very nice.

Landy, if I had a testing setup like that, I would never get anything done around the house and the Mrs. would end up trying to kill me. I hope you enjoy that place immensely!

Last thing, ol' boy in that picture does NOT in ANY way resemble any statistics semi-nerd I have EVER seen! That guy sorta looks like Hulk Hogan's kid brother with a very high IQ!

Again, enjoy that mighty fine testing facility and the rifles you put to work in it!

Greg

Boyd, I'd like to know who this gunsmith is and more detail. My next project is a 40X benchrest rifle and I have been debating with myself whether to get a straight barrel and use a bushing; or just get a barrel with a fat chamber end and thus make the whole process easier. The big hole is why some gunsmiths don't like 40X, but I never really understood the issues. Thanks, Douglas

Douglas, not being a smart axx, but if you read page 97 through 100 of the book you published, you will have the answer.

And by the way, thank you for publishing it.

Bill

thanks Landy for the reply... I just thought it had a flat at least on this one side -i assumed it had another matching flat on the other side. joe

SwindlehurstBushing.jpg

wlb Bill, yes, thanks for the reference, I've had that article in the back of my mind since Calfee wrote it 8yrs ago. i think this thread turned into a discussion about indexing and how to accomplish it with a 40X, and I ain't so sure that was the OP's question, but that's okay too. As Boyd pointed out to me, the new cut rifle barrels may make a Rem-Bo obsolete. I should start a new thread to see what folks think about 40X now. As I understand it, the new Falcon action is a 40X with a skinny hole, so maybe 40X is still alive, with a twist. Thanks, Douglas

Back