Burning Powder

4Mesh,

YOUR the only one everyone is laughing at.

Well, I guess I must throw away the gas torch and just rub some copper/lead with some inbedded fouling on what I want to cut....

Hovis
Your such a dumbass...

Ok, the torch, sits on the part a while doesn't it? Not .002 seconds. That torch will also cut a piece of brass won't it? Faster than steel won't it? Especially if the brass is .012 thick and the steel is 1/2". We're not talking about giving the heat time to transfer. We're not heating the steel to the flash point...

The lower the conductivity the greater the localized heating, the greater the differential heating. Application of heat will always result in edges and corners heating up more than steel closer to the main mass. The lack of conductivity means that these edges heat and cool at a different rate than the main mass. This causes the "alligatoring" or "firecracking" in the bore which of course exposes more edges which are then mechanically removed.

This is different than ablation or the gasifying of surface material.

I've never considered why cases ejected from a semi-auto are hotter but my gut-guess is that it's because they don't have time to bleed off any heat to the chamber walls.

al

Al, at the point of sharp rifling edges, I could buy that they would clearly take more stress, wear, whatever. And would heat faster (if there was time). But, there really not that "sharp". And, let's take a 30cal as an example. 4 groove Kreiger barrel. A 308 is roughly 1" in circumference, so if half is groove half is land, each land is .125 (1/8") wide. (roughly now...). So, why if a groove is 1/8" wide, would it be less likely to firecrack than a land? We're only talking about .004 difference in height. It's not like it's a separate piece, it's just higher there. And not very much so. I am not buying that they accept heat when the rest of the barrel does not.

By estimates above, the area in front of the cartridge case mouth, in the neck, should wear out equally as fast as rifling does. In other words, the neck should bell mouth by .008 during the life of the barrel. But, it does not. Remove abrasive wear, and it doesn't wear. And, I'm not sure how much closer to the mouth of the case this has to be before effects of this gas are shown, but, jeez, I'd say this is ground zero.

I've never considered why cases ejected from a semi-auto are hotter but my gut-guess is that it's because they don't have time to bleed off any heat to the chamber walls.
Or possibly because of the friction of leaving the chamber while under significant pressure. When firing a 1K Hgun rapidly, from bang to eject isn't 1 sec for many, more like 1/2 or less, and they come out barely warm if at all. It can't loose that much heat in that small amount of time.

Not enough data

I think many of us are forgetting that all the mechanisms that occur when a cartridge is fired in the breach of a rifle cannot or perhaps have not at this time be measured. Things like how much more reduction potential does powder x have over powder y in that situation. What's the frequency of the burn, what's the pH of the by-rpoducts. The list is almost endless. Everyone will contribute to throat errosion.

As far as firecracking is concerned one of the causes can be differences in surface tension. When hard facing or metal spraying if you get a large enough mismatch in the surface tensions between the two the facing will sometimes reticulate and crack. Just like a poorly fitting claze on a ceramic pot. When a layer of barrel steel a few molecules deep gets vaporized it will errode some more metal before it recondenses. Its surface tension will be different because of the reduced axial tension between molecules. Vacuum coating in optics also does this. After a while the new layer reticulates and appears rough and cracked.
Andy.

Just for grins, I'll shoot an AR and try and get a "quick" read of the temp of the brass...as soon as it hits the ground. I know for a fact it's hot enough to leave a serious blister if it lays against your skin for more than a few seconds:(. I'l try it with an infrared thermometer.
As for the lands vs. grooves burning away....it is reasonable to assume that anything, be it a bur or a land in a barrel will not dissipate heat from it's edge to it's main surface fast enough to keep from melting. Try it with a torch over a saw cut piece of metal. The first thing to glow will be the rough edge of the cut end. The flame will travel over the smooth part much easier and not impart as much heat into it. Much like burning the hairs from your fingers but your skin not being hurt, if you pass your hand over a lighter.:eek:

Oh, don't leave me out of the loop....what topic was that, Charles?
See posts 36, 55, 57, 59, and 66.

Keith's Post #57:

These order of magnitude or "ball park" calculations can be very useful, particularly for identifying factors that may make a difference. It's important to have a threshold to compare to. For 1000 yd shooting, the bullet drops about 500", right? A factor would be important if it changed drop by say 0.5" or 0.1%. An order of magnitude less, 0.01%, we would call insignificant. If a kernel of powder weighs 0.02 grains and your load is 40 grains, that's 0.05%, so that's significant.

For bearing friction, the 25% of the pressure that ends up propelling the bullet would be 15 kpsi, so the 0.002" variance in bearing length would change that pressure by 7.2/15k = 0.05%. That's significant, too.

Changing a 0.5 BC by more than 0.00005 would be significant. At 1000 yd, it's difficult to find things that are NOT potentially significant.

Essentially, what is being called "significant" is really "significant for further testing." Couple of points, via stories. When Steve Shelp was working up his .338 Yogi a number of years ago, he became enamored with VV N-170, as it gave such low ES/SD numbers. Sadly, it didn't group very well. When he switched to H-1000, the groups got much smaller, even though ES was in the 20s.

The whole point with velocity variations is we deal with them by tuning the rifle. Whether or not one kernel of powder, or a .002 inch difference in bearing surface is significant depends in part on whether or not you can render it insignificant by tuning.

So, while a small difference in bearing surface, and the attendant pressure difference, may theoretically be significant, it is one of the smaller contributors to velocity variations and in any case, is tuned out with general (successful) tuning.

As to BC variations: along with Dave Tooley, I got the raw data from the testing Larry Bartholeme and Dr. Oehler did at 1,000 yards with a model 43. Data available included actual B.C. numbers with each shot, which let you see BC variations. All of a sudden, we had ES/SD for ballistic coefficients.

With the acoustic target, we also got a shot plot, which let you correlate B.C. with bullet strike. A number of their tests were three to five shots, but a number were also 10-shot groups. The best bullets for BC consistency were several of the Hornady A-Maxes. With that observation, I speculated that meplat consistency was, in mass produced bullets, the least well-controlled variable -- the plastic tips were, of course, very consistent.

That led Dave to make a meplat uniforming tool. (Aside from Charels Bailey's die & file, I believe Dave was the first, at least in post-1995 times, to make a meplat uniforming tool.) Dave also purchased a model 43, and tested the effects of both meplat trimming, and inserting plastic tips in non-tipped bullets. And sure enough, either technique brought the B.C variations way down. Remember, this was empirical testing, not calculations.

But it got me interested in the effect of mepalts, and using the formula in Vaughn's book, determined that a B.C. variation of .020 was worth 4-5 inches at 1,000 yards. That's a lot larger variation than what Keith is saying. The worst offender in the Bartholome tests was the 210 Berger VLD, but I'd hasten to point out this was at the time after Walt Berger had sold the company, and before he bought it back. As Eric Stecker stated, he & Walt worked very hard to restore the company's products when they bought it back.

Anyway, the 210 VLDs of that time were often fish-mouthed. Charles Bailey, a very inventive guy, made three sorts, using different measurements, of these bullets -- "A", "B", and "others." He could accurately predict the *general* performance of his sorts. And it turned out if he filed the fish-mouth of his "B"bullets, they performed as well as his "A" sort. The year he won Shooter of the Year he was shooting his "B" bullets, after removing the fish mouths.

OK, the point of all of this: it took a variation of .010 or .020 (on .610 nominal) in BC to have any significant effect on the target. Even the .010 variation (barely noticeable on target) amounts to a 1.3 percent change. That's a long way -- close to three orders of magnitude -- from Keith's suggestion
Changing a 0.5 BC by more than 0.00005 would be significant.
It does fit with the calculations I made using Vaughn's formula, however.

I admire & respect Keith (& Phil, too). What I really wanted to suggest, to new shooters at least, is that what's termed "significant" may not turn out to be so. As Keith said,
These order of magnitude or "ball park" calculations can be very useful, particularly for identifying factors that may make a difference. It's important to have a threshold to compare to.

From testing on these matters though, I do believe he's about one to two order of magnitude off. So for the new-to-long range shooters, I'd say while making a bearing surface sort at the .002 level won't hurt, I don't believe it will help either, at least in terms of diminishing the effect of velocity variation. I have no data on whether or not it can play a significant factor in drag. My guess is that at the .002 level it will not. It would be easy enough to compute using the JBM program, but it would take a re-testing with the Oehler, after careful measuring, to confirm.

Last edited:
Al, at the point of sharp rifling edges, I could buy that they would clearly take more stress, wear, whatever. And would heat faster (if there was time). But, there really not that "sharp". And, let's take a 30cal as an example. 4 groove Kreiger barrel. A 308 is roughly 1" in circumference, so if half is groove half is land, each land is .125 (1/8") wide. (roughly now...). So, why if a groove is 1/8" wide, would it be less likely to firecrack than a land? We're only talking about .004 difference in height. It's not like it's a separate piece, it's just higher there. And not very much so. I am not buying that they accept heat when the rest of the barrel does not.

I agree, depending on number and width of grooves/lands the firecracking does occur differently, sometimes it's as apparent in the grooves as in the lands. But the accepted mechanism is still differential heating altho Andy's "surface tension" description may be even more apt. Where the wear really accelerates is once the firecracking actually starts, this produces edges.

BTW the reason internal combustion engine cylinders don't firecrack is because they run much cooler.

My information isn't from first hand testing but just from reading of others' work.

al

4MESH,

The only dumbass here is you.

You even called the people at Sierra bozo's, they know more than all of us combined about bullets, barrels and wear. It just shows your mental abilities are quite limited.

Maybe read a little of http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/barrel_life3.pdf Here is another http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=826

I can supply facts all day long.

You have been presented with facts from subject matter experts and you still think you shadetree theory is best.
Hovis

Last edited:
yep they build great bullets but are not the best in all things gun.
they declared no benefits from moly in a published article, even tho actual testing by other showed them wrong, and they sell moly bullets....
mike in co
Actually, no, they don't. They are nice people, though.

HovisKM I for one can tell you years ago at or World Open, when trying to explain how some of there 240 gr. Sierra's were long and fat . we were told we were to fussy! So no not even the Experts know everything. But I believe everyone here that has contributed something is worth looking into.

Joe Salt

I dont have a dog in this hunt but I do have a question.
I am not asking it in regards to erosion just in regard to heat itself.

If burning powder only creates heat for .002 and creates negligible heat then why is it when I fire cases with only pistol powder that after 5 shots my barrel is hot and after 10-15 its almost to hot to hold on to for any length of time?

Oh well, I guess maybe they aren't so worldly when it comes to guns, I just know everything they seemed to have told me ends up panning out the way they said. I haven't spoke to anyone there is over 10yrs so it sounds like it has changed. The first time I called, I asked about BR shooting and they hooked me up with Fred Sinclair and the Supershoot. Now that I think about it....them B**tards have cost me tens of thousands of dollars....I've been blind sided.

Fussy.....shooters....I'd say not, all we ask for is guns, ammo, components that we can put together any way we want and be able to shoot zeros or at least buy factory ammo and guns that can. How dare we be called fussy... :D

Oh Well, I'm gonna need medication after this thread....where's MR. D when we need him....wait a second....maybe he's here already.

Hovis

Oh Well, I'm gonna need medication after this thread....where's MR. D when we need him....wait a second....maybe he's here already.

Hovis

That "fav'rite song" thread scared you too eh???

"Ohh NOOOOO!!!!! It's another election cycle!!!"

LOL

al

Well guys I guess we can leave this one at all of the above. Heat , unburned powder,dirt from said powder, then the friction from the bullet in that dirt and unburnt crud so lets face it its going to wear out eventually. So my answer is put money aside for next barrel.

Joe Salt

Back