Bulllet sorting

L.G

Hello,
I got a Batch of 300 Grain .338 Berger Hybrids, and was wondering what you guys would recommend as far as sorting them by Weight and Bearing surface.

I dont know about the hybrids, but with the 300gr .338cal SMK's it is an absolute must to sort by bearing surface. best advice I can give is take a handful and weigh and measure carefully, a grain or so weight wise will not make a difference but more than .002" in bearing surface will.

UncleB,
Thanks for your reply. I have been using two Comparators to measure the BS not really sure if that is accurate enough though as it is hard to apply the same pressure each time.
I know my cheap digital scales drift too much, but it would really suck to weigh them on Beams. I have been working on this build for a while, as expensive as these .338s are I was hoping to squeeze
all i could out of it.
Thanks, L.G

Out of curiosity I went and opened up a new 250 count box of the Berger 300gr Hybrids lot#2617, I took out 25 and weighed. all were between 299.9gr and 300.2gr ..........excellent no need to weigh.

I then measured bearing surface with a tool I bought from Bill Shehane years back (cant think of the name of the tool) but it has a micrometer dial and is made just for .338 bullets (I also have attachments for .243 bullets). All bullets were within .002" .......excellent no need to measure. things may change slightly from lot to lot but it looks like Berger has them dialed in quite well.

I bought the measuring tool years ago when the 300gr SMK was the only game in town, great bullet still but the bearing surface could vary .008" to .014" on a bad lot making sorting mandatory.

I've had similar experiences with Sierra and Berger .308s. Sierra required many lots of length and bearing surface. Berger did not need to be sorted.

How is the best way to measure bearing surfice ?

Get two bullet comparators of same caliber. Clamp them to and line them up best you can on the calipers. Place a bullet in the comparator either point down or up, just make sure you're consistent with them all, either up or down and take a measurement. Not rocket science, just time!

Get two bullet comparators of same caliber. Clamp them to and line them up best you can on the calipers. Place a bullet in the comparator either point down or up, just make sure you're consistent with them all, either up or down and take a measurement. Not rocket science, just time!

The problem is "consistency" with hand held calipers. If you are serious about it, get the Buhay Ogive Comparator. Consistency issues are gone. I know I have used the handheld and then run the bullets thru Johns device and the handheld was all over the place.

The problem is "consistency" with hand held calipers. If you are serious about it, get the Buhay Ogive Comparator. Consistency issues are gone. I know I have used the handheld and then run the bullets thru Johns device and the handheld was all over the place.
I don't have a problem with consistency. I've been using Starrett calipers with Davidson comparators for a few years and have measured my share of bullets. I have one of John's Ogive comparators and use it occasionally. I find it to be no better than my caliper/comparator combo.
To each his own I guess

Back