Bullet Sorting

F

fdobson3

I am a newbie at 600yds, shot last 2 seasons at local club in Oregon. One of our shooters(holds two world records at 600yds NBRSA) gave a seminar on advanced reloading. He talked about sorting bullets by base to ogive or bearing surface before meplat trimming and repointing. You get sorting piles based on thousandths of an inch or mm's. Then he recommended further sorting of these piles by weight into thousandths of a grain or mg's for which you need a lab scale not just a scale that weighs powder charges to tenths of a grain like an RCBS or Lyman etc. After all this you end up with match, sighter and fouler piles. Does anybody else do this? What sorts of comparators or scales have you used? Can a spread of 10mm base to ogive or bearing surface sorted into groups of 3mm diffrences in B to O or bearing surface show up in different impact points on a 600yd target. This gentleman shoots lights out with his 6mm Dasher. Hard to argue with results like his. Anys comments?

I am a newbie at 600yds, shot last 2 seasons at local club in Oregon. One of our shooters(holds two world records at 600yds NBRSA) gave a seminar on advanced reloading. He talked about sorting bullets by base to ogive or bearing surface before meplat trimming and repointing. You get sorting piles based on thousandths of an inch or mm's. Then he recommended further sorting of these piles by weight into thousandths of a grain or mg's for which you need a lab scale not just a scale that weighs powder charges to tenths of a grain like an RCBS or Lyman etc. After all this you end up with match, sighter and fouler piles. Does anybody else do this? What sorts of comparators or scales have you used? Can a spread of 10mm base to ogive or bearing surface sorted into groups of 3mm diffrences in B to O or bearing surface show up in different impact points on a 600yd target. This gentleman shoots lights out with his 6mm Dasher. Hard to argue with results like his. Anys comments?

I think you might have your measurements mixed up. 10mm in base to ogive is .400" or nearly 1/2 inch while 3mm is still .120". Either of these measurements would cause MAJOR problems in different points of impact.

In sorting by bearing surface length, I always grouped them with .002" of each other. When you get a batch that goes as far as .010" apart, I feel you have a bad lot. most of my good lots of Bergers were within .005" of each other. Plus I did this type of sorting after spinning on a Jeunke machine. And I always checked the weight consistency.

Danny

You folks are right. The comapartor variance I am getting with Berger hybrids 105grain bullets is 0.006inch or .15mm. So what kind of groups would I sort in this spread. 3 groups of 0.002 inch? Will this show up on impact point when shooting groups at 600yds?

Back