Bullet In Neck

M

mothball10x

I have a couple of good rifles that happen to have very long throats in them. This makes me pick certain bullets that have a good amount of the bullet base in the case neck. That is my question to you all,what is considered the proper amount of bullet body in the case neck ? Some of the bullets that I would like to use almost fall out of the neck , their is that little bullet body in the neck.
Tom

As long as they don't actually fall out, I don't think it matters much. Had a rail gun barrel that shot like a laser beam with 62 grain bullets just BARELY stuck in the case. In fact, every now and then one of them fell out.

I've heard here and there that you should have at least the bullets diameter in the neck. If you're shooting a 6mm then supposedly you need .243" of bullet in the neck. Just what I've heard. Like Wilbur, I've shot some bullets that were hanging on by a thread to get to the rifling and they shot very well. If these are hunting guns, you most likely would want them deep enough not to come out in the field.

HI Tom....most .243 (6mm) cal ctgs dont even have a neck that is .243 long!!!!.....MY rule of thum is a min. of .050 (and then you gota handle them like eggs) once you get .080 of grip things are real good .....and 100-150 and you cant get em out without a puller unless your not usin enuff neck tension....Roger

Thanks to all for the input,I did fail to state the calipers which are 6mm's. I was concerned about so little grip on the bullet,but it sounds like as long as it's in there and holding , it is o.K.
Tom

I for a long time I shot Schuetzen matches when and if I could find one. It is a very common loading technique in this sport to Breach Seat your bullets. My Breach Seater is one made by one of the finest Schuetzen shooters of all time Harry Pope and is one of my most prized possesions.

I mention this only to comment on your bullet in the case. In Breach Seating there is no bullet in the case, a little extreme in most circumstances granted. Harry Pope was a great shooter and student of Schuetzen, and was quoted as saying " The only consistant neck tension is no neck tension"

Roland

Remember the Wolf Pup. The entire neck is only .085 long. Here, enjoy...

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?71958-Wolf-Pup-Al-Nyhus&highlight=Wolf

If the Schuetzen guys didn't have iron sights as a part of their format (& maybe offhand), I'd have loved it. I followed it enough to read, as Roland says, that breech seating the bullets was the preferred method. I often wondered what it would take to breech seat a jacketed bullet. Might not be possible, and the shooting would be slow, of course.

A guy who posts here, 4Mesh, for a time held the 1,000 yard 10-shot group record. The day he fired it, some of his necks were split -- well, not just that day, *that* day he just happened to get a record.

A lot of what we do doesn't matter. But you can't rule it out, because in combination with other things, it can matter. See the thread of the dreaded 2&1, where one side says a rifle riding on the stitches of the rear bag is just ideal; the other says it's terrible. Now something is going on here. What's really interesting is what that other factor(s) is (are). Neck length & neck tension are, I suspect, like that.

If you were around before the N-133 days, you'd remember that most people didn't use much neck tension. I never needed an arbor press, thumb pressure was enough. But N-133 "likes" a lot of neck tension, so the say. Or ... maybe it's just harder to set off. I wonder what a lot of bullet jam, a 2-degree half cone angle for the leade, and CCI magnum primers would do combined with light neck tension?

Lots of etcs.

Last edited:
I for a long time I shot Schuetzen matches when and if I could find one. It is a very common loading technique in this sport to Breach Seat your bullets. My Breach Seater is one made by one of the finest Schuetzen shooters of all time Harry Pope and is one of my most prized possesions.

I mention this only to comment on your bullet in the case. In Breach Seating there is no bullet in the case, a little extreme in most circumstances granted. Harry Pope was a great shooter and student of Schuetzen, and was quoted as saying " The only consistant neck tension is no neck tension"

Roland

Red Cornelison used to shoot what was a stepped neck. Many a time I'd watch him seat his bullets with his fingertips. He'd place the bullet in the neck with no tension at all resting on top of the step where he had quit turning his necks. Not too good if you try to hurry, but Red didn't hurry when he shot or anything else except his driving. I rode out from the motel to the nationals in DeSota from Lenexa, KS. He was running 90 mph going to the range every morning.

Back