Bullet choice strictly for 100 yards score matches.

treece

I wanted to check y'all out over here, been looking at a few of y'all's discussions and, this seems right. I'm new to short range and that's all my interests are at this point. I got 2 6brs with a 13.5 twist and another with 12 twist.
Iv been shooting some 68g boat tails. And the gun likes them. But up to a certain point. Iv done a full load development with them. And shot a dozen or so .150 5 shot groups. I sort these bullets by length to 3 thousandths increments.
But still have a shot that falls out the ten ring on match day. The bullet's I got are from 3 different lots. So, in hopes to get a more consistent bullet,
I'm thinking of buying some flat based bullet's.
Would this help in bullet constantly? I'm thinking of buying some Barts 68 ultra's.
Any suggestions welcomed and or experience from going from a Boat tail to FB bullet.

well you left out one real important bit of info..what are you shooting? score with ibs or nbrsa ? club matches ?
the bottom line, in heads up( real benchrest score, not handicap shooting) ya do best with a 30 br, get one of those rechambered and move forward.
buy some custom, not production bullets...barts 112 works well

In the near future, maybe next year,vI will go to a 30 br. I'm shooting club matches for score. But it's 6mn against 6mn. The 30s shoot against the 30s. I'm very interested in what others have experienced in short range with Boat tail verses flat based bullets. Would they be more consistent? And how could you sort them. In 5 thousandths increments or smaller?
My goal is to shoot a perfect card, which would be a 100-10x. My best so far is a 100-8x. And that was not that easy. But the misses were close too.

I wanted to check y'all out over here, been looking at a few of y'all's discussions and, this seems right. I'm new to short range and that's all my interests are at this point. I got 2 6brs with a 13.5 twist and another with 12 twist.
Iv been shooting some 68g boat tails. And the gun likes them. But up to a certain point. Iv done a full load development with them. And shot a dozen or so .150 5 shot groups. I sort these bullets by length to 3 thousandths increments.
But still have a shot that falls out the ten ring on match day. The bullet's I got are from 3 different lots. So, in hopes to get a more consistent bullet
It may not be the bullet. It could be the tune (do those .150 groups have a verticle shape?), gun handling, a bag/rest issue, etc. But I would try some other bullets, too. A flat based bullet on the .790" jacket rather than the .825" jacket would be what I'd try. The BIB 67gr would be an excellent choice. 👌

Yes, if you have flags, great but if not, they will be just as much or even more important than any other piece of equipment you will own at improving your scores. Get some flags and never shoot without them.

Up here in the NW we recently held a Varmint for Score match, and had some of the best conditions to shoot in I have ever experienced. Of the 15 shooterers, only 4 shot a 30BR. With one exception all the rest were firing a 6mm. There were 8 250's at 100 yds, and 4 250s at 200yds, and 3 500's in the grand . There was one 30 BR in the top five of the grand agg. the other four were 6mm. If the conditions a good, a 6mm for score shooting will compete with the 30's. My shooting partner, Larry Boers, really showed us on one 200 yd target, 50/5X, with a 6mm!
So,Treece It can be done with a 6mm, when conditions allow, and get some wind flags like Mike Ezell says.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

THE QUALITY OF THE SHOOTER AND THE GUN COUNT!...BUT A 30 CAL HOLE IS A PLUS IN SCORE IF YOU CAN HANDLE THE RECOIL.

I have been using rebbons at home. They do help. I set three of them up. And have noticed that groups sure are better when they are all doing the same thing.
Like I had mentioned. This one gun I got that's been doing good. It likes 30.2 of of v133. The groups are round. Iv seen the flat groups, the horizontal groups. I guess I had already made my mind up, on the bullets, because I know the ones I got came from at least three different lots.
Iv also noticed maybe the Boat tail part of the bullet looks different on some of them. But Iv not separated them on that, only by length.
I' got some more bullets on the way now.
Wonder what the charge difference will be going from a BT to a FB?

I would go with the 12 twist barrel unless it's a tomato stake, and the 68bt's will be fine. A shooter I know says that most competitors he shoots with in score are using LT-32 since it's more forgiving on the tune.

Back