Bukys T.S.I Tuner Pix

333smitty

Tomball Gun Club
Here's a couple pix of my Bukys T.S.I tuner some of you were asking for.

Bukyssnubber.jpg

Bukyssnubberfour.jpg

Bukyssnubberthree.jpg

Bukyssnubbertwo.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. I get the weight thing and the split ring for clamping but I am not sure about the rubber? Is it for a better grip of the tuner or is it supposed to dampen? Just wondering out loud because Gene has forgotten more about accuracy shooting than I will ever know. I tend to over think things at times. I read his thoughts on the use of the tuner and it makes sense. Certainly can't argue with his success.

Kris Whitman

Tuners and Rubber

Thanks for the pics. I get the weight thing and the split ring for clamping but I am not sure about the rubber? Is it for a better grip of the tuner or is it supposed to dampen? Just wondering out loud because Gene has forgotten more about accuracy shooting than I will ever know. I tend to over think things at times. I read his thoughts on the use of the tuner and it makes sense. Certainly can't argue with his success.

Kris Whitman

Your right Kris the rubber is engineered into the tuner for its dampening qualities.

Hope to see you at the Bluebonnet. =)

v

It may be there "for it's damping qualities," but what it does is provide a good grip ;)

The barrel can't feel it at all.

lol

Now that anti-rattle clamping screw is serious juju, THAT the barrel can feel.

al

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit edit edit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had to edit this post. I'm leaving my knee-jerk reaction up so that all can see it, and am revising my opinion.

................."damping qualities" ..................

I read this to mean that the rubber "damped or attenuated the oscillations of the barrel during firing." Which I believe it DOESN'T. But this may well be irrelevant, it certainly DOES damp the barrel from shot to shot so that it's (hopefully) not ringing from shot to shot during a high speed run. I "kills" the vibration more quickly eliminating residual krapp....

friggin' genius...

(wiping egg from my face)

alagain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit edit edit edit again
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the second edit..... third edition

My first post is poorly worded, poorly thought out and in retrospect, WRONG. I'm leaving it up only because without it this post makes no sense if I remove the original thought. As Boyd has kindly pointed out there are a host of dissonances associated with the firing event, all of which may be disruptive.

Thank you Boyd,

Sorry Gene,

I shouldn't have commented..........

but I did :)

revisedopinionsby

al

Last edited:
Al,
I have read that the vibration from the striker assembly has time to travel back and forth from the muzzle several times before the bullet exits. Additionally, there has been some discussion of the effects of shroud, bolt body, and lug to action fit on accuracy, that may be vibration related. Years back, I did some informal testing of a rubber piece that is designed to be put on barrels, to improve accuracy. Since then I have heard from fellows that have tested them on various rifles. Some saw noticeable improvement, some did not. From my own experience I can say that the Sims Deresonator does a very good job of damping audible vibrations that are produced when a barrel is tapped with a metallic object, turning the typical ringing sound into something more akin to a thud. When I spoke with Gene Buckys about the rubber on his tuner, he told me that he had tested several different kinds before choosing what he uses. It would seem to me that if there was no effect, that there would have been no difference in the tests, and no reason to choose one over the other. Years back, I shot one of Jackie's tuners throughout a match weekend at Visalia. The rifle did much better than its previous record with that barrel. Part of the setup was a Deresonator that was immediately behind the tuner threads. this was something that I added, not a part of his tuner. It was an earlier version, that was lighter than his current one and without rubber. I had done some testing, and came to the conclusion that it it was an advantage to have it on the barrel. Admittedly, one may speculate as to why this was, and quite logically challenge my ability to make an absolute determination. I should also mention that Jackie has added a rubber element to his tuners, and he has done some excellent work with his. Obviously, tuners that are made entirely of metal have been shown to work, but the addition of some sort of damping material may offer some advantage. I think that Gene has demonstrated his shooting ability and with it the credentials to be able to test various tuner configurations, and make that determination.

Al,
I have read that the vibration from the striker assembly has time to travel back and forth from the muzzle several times before the bullet exits. Additionally, there has been some discussion of the effects of shroud, bolt body, and lug to action fit on accuracy, that may be vibration related. Years back, I did some informal testing of a rubber piece that is designed to be put on barrels, to improve accuracy. Since then I have heard from fellows that have tested them on various rifles. Some saw noticeable improvement, some did not. From my own experience I can say that the Sims Deresonator does a very good job of damping audible vibrations that are produced when a barrel is tapped with a metallic object, turning the typical ringing sound into something more akin to a thud. When I spoke with Gene Buckys about the rubber on his tuner, he told me that he had tested several different kinds before choosing what he uses. It would seem to me that if there was no effect, that there would have been no difference in the tests, and no reason to choose one over the other. Years back, I shot one of Jackie's tuners throughout a match weekend at Visalia. The rifle did much better than its previous record with that barrel. Part of the setup was a Deresonator that was immediately behind the tuner threads. this was something that I added, not a part of his tuner. It was an earlier version, that was lighter than his current one and without rubber. I had done some testing, and came to the conclusion that it it was an advantage to have it on the barrel. Admittedly, one may speculate as to why this was, and quite logically challenge my ability to make an absolute determination. I should also mention that Jackie has added a rubber element to his tuners, and he has done some excellent work with his. Obviously, tuners that are made entirely of metal have been shown to work, but the addition of some sort of damping material may offer some advantage. I think that Gene has demonstrated his shooting ability and with it the credentials to be able to test various tuner configurations, and make that determination.

All true Boyd, my comment was poorly thought out. I'm revising my post again. :)

Has anyone tried plying with the resonance of a boring bar in a lathe with a rubber band? I remember reading about this in an old machining tips book.

How much does the tuner weigh?......Ian

Given that changes in tune can be achieved with small adjustments of tuners, I would believe
that very light tuners would be effective , without being overly sensitive.

tune width question?

In the past Gene has made prototype aluminum/rubber tuners as light as 2.5oz that were quite effective.

v

Smitty sir,Thanks for the posts.May I ask how wide your tune is or when do you have to change up the load once the tuner is set in one spot ?Or will it hold a tune for the complete day ussually without adjusting anything?Thanks Tim in Tx

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing for sure the rubber sleeve provides is weight. A tuner must have weight (mass) to function.
True enough. But like I've been preaching - it needs much more than that to function in an optimum manner. I'll admit though that I had not even begun to address attenuation of the higher frequencies like this direction will do. But I'm happy to see that creative thinkers are just as unconvinced that "it's just a properly positioned mass" that causes a tuner to function as it does. It's not about "stopping the muzzle" so much as it is putting it into active service toward helping the trajectory end up where you want it. Since a "stopped muzzle" will not help correct for the unexpected at all.

Smitty sir,Thanks for the posts.May I ask how wide your tune is or when do you have to change up the load once the tuner is set in one spot ?Or will it hold a tune for the complete day ussually without adjusting anything?Thanks Tim in Tx

Gene has told me that once you find your optimum tuner setting lock the tuner down and leave it alone. When swings in temperature and humidity dictate change make them via powder charges.

I must admit that I do not change anything in my tuneup until my groups force me to make an adjustment.

Gene has told me that once you find your optimum tuner setting lock the tuner down and leave it alone. When swings in temperature and humidity dictate change make them via powder charges.

I must admit that I do not change anything in my tuneup until my groups force me to make an adjustment.

Smitty sir ,Would it be fair to say that your tune is in the area of 15 degrees wide? Or is it more like 10 degree change in temp before you have to change your powder charge? The reason I ask is that I am trying to get an idea of when your groups dictate the change with behind the muzzle tuners.My rifle starts tio show vertucal at 12-15 degree change with 3 ounces behind the muzzle,with 11 ounces way out in front the change is needed in the area of 23 degrees of temp change . Thanks for the reply. Tim in Tx

Just thinking here. If you lock the tuner down and make tem/hum changes by powder charges..........isn't this what we have been doing for years before tuners showed up? Personally I use my tuners to take the verticle out when the temp changes, and yes I might make a powder change too.

Donald

If you ask Gene Buckys, he will tell yo that tuners broaden the node, making it easier to stay in tune throughout the day.

I remember years back, when muzzle brakes were just starting to be used on hunting rifles, the fellows in the back room of a local gun shop, and the smith all agreed that they would never have one of those ugly things on the ends of their barrels, this in spite of the fact they were all having lightweight magnums built, and getting beat up in the process. A few years later, in the same group, they had become common.

When I look at all of the really pretty benchrest rifles out there, many of which perform very well, I think that they are an indication that their owners are willing to spend their hard earned cash on something that does more than just shoot well, and I will admit that tuners may detract from a rifle's classic lines. On the other hand, I can use all the help that I can get....and a little bit more ;-)

Back