Building vs buying proven rifle

L

LHH

While the building process is satisfying, I wondered about the wisdom of buying a proven rifle instead.
I might not get exactly what I want if I buy a used rifle, but I could get one that shoots great.
Compared with building and getting exactly what I want, but not knowing how well it will shoot when finished.

Any thoughts?

While the building process is satisfying, I wondered about the wisdom of buying a proven rifle instead.
I might not get exactly what I want if I buy a used rifle, but I could get one that shoots great.
Compared with building and getting exactly what I want, but not knowing how well it will shoot when finished.

Any thoughts?

If it is your desire to compete, buy a built rifle, shoot it before you buy, and you will be off to the races.

On the other hand, it is really satisfying to build just what you want, but it isn't the fast track to the winners circle.

So the decision is yours, build what you like, or become competitive quicker. Very few can do both.

Whatever you do, make it fun and enjoy, in the end fun is what shooting sports is all about.

TKH

I think the bottom line is money.
If you are just staring out, finances are touchy and you just want to shoot and have fun, then a used rifle can be the answer.
You might luck out and find a fine rifle that someone is selling because they're financing a new build; or they're dropping out of the game.
Or the used gun might be off just a bit, and in the hands of a good gunsmith; a new barrel and some machine work might bring it in line.
If many cases, a used rifle is not necessarily going to get you into the top winning ranks, but it could provide you with a high "fun" factor.

Building a new rifle brings it's own set of challenges. Working with a proven gunsmith is a must. The initial investment is high. Getting the right components in the best configuration is the goal. Yet, this is no guarantee that you'll be sitting at the top of the ranks. The barrel may not be right - the "right" lot of ammunition has to be found, etc.

And then, it all boils down to the person pulling the trigger. You can have the best rifle ever built, with the perfect lot of ammo and still not hit the winner's circle.

But that's the challenge of this wonderful sport. When everything works together it's a thrill.

Best,
Michael

Thoughts indeed!

Every good rifle was once just parts but I really believe the better buy is to go with an already built, good, rifle. I think, and almost know, that money is saved by paying whatever the guy wants for a winner. That does two things - you have a good rifle and the guy you bought it from does not. All you have to do is determine how good the rifle actually is...which ain't the easiest thing to do sometimes.

Added this - Look at some match reports and decide how many folks were just "there". Those are the folks that built rifles rather than bought a proven winner. Some of them actually think the winner knows how to shoot better than they do. Some of them just like to go shoot.

Yes, I know I'm leaving out about 2 million things...but what if I'm generally right?

Last edited:
You can't buy winning

For someone just beginning, don't expect success simply by buying a proven winning rifle. There are a number of other things one must do to learn to win. I have built and bought a number of rifles over my years of shooting Benchrest matches. One observation seems to keep coming to mind. It has been my observation that most of the new rifles I have seen come from guys who know how to chamber and bed rifles is, the first barrel on a build is most often a good one. I have personally never had nor seen a "DOG" in a new build. Used rifles, on the other hand, can hide defects and not be competitive. I have often wondered if rifles develop problems over time and give up shooting gradually, eventually falling off in their performance. Either the stock or bedding become funky perhaps. There are lots of little things mechanical that can hinder performance.

If you know the configuration of the components you wish to use and have the funds necessary to build a new one, I would recommend that route. Find a good Smith or if you are a machinist and handy, do the rifle yourself. There are plenty of folks who have put together their own rifles that shoot as well or better than rifles from high priced Smiths. There is no magic to it. It's simply good machining practices and there is plenty of information on these forums to steer one in the right direction. I also recommend learning as much as you can about the mechanics involved with rifles. Don't become hostage to waiting times for it's a short summer.

Pete

Last edited:
So if I understand you there Pete ( a challange I know) you contact a good smith, and then build it yourself.....so you're not at the mercy of waiting on a smith.

To the OP , Tony Harper gave you the best answer you're ever gonna get to this question, listen to the guy.

Last edited:
Two thoughts

First, when taking advice on this or any other forum, judge the advice by the history of the poster. You can easily track past performance of any shooter and figure out who knows what they are talking about. Second, no matter how much you think you know about shooting, if you are just starting rimfire benchrest, you have some learning to do. You can not learn rimfire benchrest with a gun that will not shoot and you will never know if it will shoot with a new gun and ammo. When you buy a used gun, try to get a brick or more of good ammo with it so you will have a benchmark.

Apparently Tim

So if I understand you there Pete ( a challange I know) you contact a good smith, and then build it yourself.....so you're not at the mercy of waiting on a smith.

To the OP , Tony Harper gave you the best answer you're ever gonna get to this question, listen to the guy.

You skimmed what I wrote or has the Single Malt had it's effect you this early? Listen, I and others realize you are one of these people who are or become Fans of others. Some of us happen to be more forward thinking.

Pete

Back