Building Loaner Rifles - Caliber

M

mountaineer067

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am currently working on building two benchrest/F-Class rifles that folks who would like to try their hand at 1000 yard BR and F/Class shooting, but don't want to plunk down the dollars needed to get into the sport then find out it isn't their cup of tea. Just another way to help bring in new members to IBS.

What I am asking is what would be a good caliber to use...that would not be cost prohibitive for ammo...and still capable of shooting reasonably good scores? Cost is also a factor...as my checkbook is limited. Also, these rifles may be shot by stocky individuals and by petite women.

Dick Whiting
White Horse Center
email: mountaineer063@yahoo.com
Peeltree in Wild Wonderful West Virginia

Dick
I shoot a 6.5X47 Lapua. I do good with it at 1000 yd and I see some people shooting the 6X47 also.

Gary

6.5 wssm

I have a friend shooting a 6.5 wssm and loves it, It shoots dang good and low recoil. I have read of others shooting it as well and with great results

Dick,

Consider the various 6mm platforms. In the 6BR, you have good brass available, and charge weights in and around 30 grains. The Dasher will load a bit heavier on powder thus a bit more performance. The 6x47 is a good choice also.

All these cartridges use the small rifle primer. Recoil in most 6/.243 bore cartridges can be managed by small stature shooters.

I guess what I'm saying is.. Small primers, small powder charges, small projectiles, small brass cartridges = smaller $ amonts per shot and smaller recoil.

Mike

Barrel Life

How about a 300WSM and a 6.5-284? Neither recoils all that hard with a brake and the 300WSM will last a few seasons. I feel giving a rookie a straight 6BR to shoot at Whitehorse may be borderline sadistic!

Rob

info on caliber choice

I think you should do a 6/47 lapua and as dave suggested a 6.5x284 no turn in which i have reamers for both cartridges and i got approvable to provide the douglas barrels for Bill shehane said he would provide one of his tracker stocks for one of your projects all you have to do is get a couple of actions in which i would get a rem. long and a short 308 bolt face we will gitter done.
thanks stan :D

Dick

A no turn 6.5-284 gets my vote. Second choice would be a no turn 6BR.
Or one of each.

Dave

I'll 2nd this motion...6.5-284 is perfect for this application, especially with no turn necks.

Jeff in OH

Stan

Stan

Got a number I can reach you at? Need to make a trip south and pick up that 7WSM. Also talk to you about another project.

Thanks
Rob

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am currently working on building two benchrest/F-Class rifles that folks who would like to try their hand at 1000 yard BR and F/Class shooting, but don't want to plunk down the dollars needed to get into the sport then find out it isn't their cup of tea. Just another way to help bring in new members to IBS.

Seems like the Savage F-Class rigs would be just the ticket.

Man

Ouch! That's just mean Dave! Besides some of those WV rookies cleaned house this year.

By the way.....Happy New Year!

Take care
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone...and may 2009 smile on each of you. My contact information is: mountaineer063@yahoo.com for email...and you can reach me at White Horse (two words)...at 304-623-6093.

It is settled...one 6/47 Lapua and a 6.5-284. Now to find brass and components. Your comments are truly appreciated...and if you are down or up this way...please stop in and say howdy.

WVRedneck, can you give me a call...so I can tell you what I have to work with.

The .22 6mm Ackley Improved shoots 80 grain Sierras into a 1.105 group (elevation) and 1.950 (horizontal) in a heavy wind at 300 yards. It holds a 3 inch group at 500 yards. Stan the Man WVRedneck provided this caliber for an F-Class rifle and I have been duly impressed. Thanks

Dick Whiting

rob

Hey rob my email is stansrifles@msn.com i will give you my number and i would like yours also. By the way im just a little guy but i have broad shoulders Ha Ha. thanks rob.
thanks stan
happy new year to you and yor family my friend

Email Sent

Email sent Stan. Many thanks and Happy New Year to you and the family as well.

Thanks
Rob

Thank You!

Charles

Thank you very much for that link. Very nice of you to keep in mind the struggles my son goes thru everyday. It still amazes me when I look at what he has done vs the prognosis he was given. He certainly has more then his share of hurdles to go, but my wife and I are grateful everyday for the progress he has made.

As I type this I sit in awe that you remember this about him as I dont talk about it all that much! Warms my heart to the nth degree. Thank you very much and a very Happy New Year to you and your's Charles!

Your friend
Rob

Back