Build It Yourself?

double tap..see below

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a really good deal on a used gun here for $1600 (panda, jewell trigger,kelby's stock ,3 barrels, dies, rings and brass).

I've been lurking here following with great interest, as I am at the same point.

I'm not at the point that I'm going to invest 3k in a rig. I was looking at a Remington action rather than Savage, but that's a moot point.

I just looked at the classifieds here. There are some PPC's, but I think I'd like to get to a 6BR as I'm looking for longer range, maybe 500 yards and up.

If someone has a 6BR rifle for sale that is even close to the one just listed above this post, e-mail hepler3838@yahoo.com

And, thanks for the patient and thorough replies. I know this is old hat to most of you.

The short-range (100-300yd) and long-range (600-1000yd) BR games play by different rules (rifle weight, stock toe angle, etc.) and, as you've noticed, use different cartridges. Since the short-range game is dominated by the PPC boltface, to get a 6BR you can:

1. Buy a PPC-based rifle and have the bolt face opened up to fit a 0.473 cartridge like the 6BR;

2. Rebate the rims on a 6BR to fit the PPC bolt face;

3. Find a short-range score rifle, which very often have a 0.473 bolt face already; or,

4. Find a long-range BR rifle in 6BR (or one its improved derivatives).

Option 4 may be your best bet, since Options 1-3 will come with barrels having twist rates too slow for the high-BC bullets usually shot at >300yd. But there don't seem to be as many long-range BR rifles for sale -- probably a reflection of the more widespread availability of short-range places to shoot.

If you haven't already, check the classifieds at 6mmbr.com

And, finally, used BR rifles may have an asking price of $2.5-$3K, but a very serviceable NEW short-range rifle (less optics) can be put together for less than that:

Action (BAT, Panda, Viper, etc.): $900-$1200
Trigger (Jewell): $160
Barrel, fitted and chambered: $420
Stock: $325

It's no big deal to bed and glue in your own action yourself for $30 in materials.

Your new rifle may not win a beauty contest, but it will shoot like a dream.

Heck, I just put together a pronghorn rifle in 6BR with a custom action (Stiller PredatorV) and all brand-new parts for less than $2K including the scope, and it will hit a golf ball 5 times out of 5 at 300yd shooting off a bipod (attached).

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

Attachments

• Pronghorn rifle with 300yd target small.jpg
    Pronghorn rifle with 300yd target small.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 169
Nice rifle and nice shooting Tony.

On the other hand my box stock Savage 12VLP in 204 Ruger has hit 15 eggs with 15 shots at a 300yd egg shoot. Just so happens no custom gun out shot it that day. Lots of long faces and rock kicking;)

Phil Do whatever makes you happy.

While you're scrambling eggs with your .204 and I'm collecting chili meat with my 6BR (attached), here's what my "real" BR rifle can do at 300yd (also attached) -- that's a 0.367 with 4 in 0.104. This same 10.5lb LV shot a few groups in the zeros in registered competition, and many, many 10-shot groups under 1" at 300yd in my local matches. :)

Phil said that he has $1500 to spend and wants the most accurate rifle (without scope) he can buy for that price. A used BR rifle is (still) the answer.

But I agree completely that "to each his own."

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

Attachments

• exit wound BIB 95 FB small.jpg
    exit wound BIB 95 FB small.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Borden 6PPC 300yd small.jpg
    Borden 6PPC 300yd small.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 191
I saw that ad...basic newbie question...what is a "Teddy RR"?

I'm the guy that my friends come to for answers on most shooting questions. As previously noted, BR has it's own lingo.

FWIW...I have a CZ in .204 already. Guess I can have chili and eggs at the same time.

thanks

Right bolt Right port

Stolle Teddy, Right Bolt, Right loading port. An extremely fine action in my personal opinion. a Little longer than a Stolle Panda with longer barrel tenon and more bedding area. Discontinued when Kelblys went to CNC probably because it was just too redundant with the Panda. I used to own two Pandas and a Teddy, I still own the Teddy because I think it was the best.

Last edited:
And I agree with you Toby. I have just one full blown custom PPC. Used it cost me quite a bit more than $1500 but it came with a whole bunch of trinkets too boot.
It is the most accurate close range gun I own. Seems pretty easy to load for. Of course its a ppc and you can't inherit more accuracy than that easily;)

I also have four Sav actions and a whole pile of custom and factory barrels I can screw on at will to try something different. Theres a lot to be said for variety on a budget.

Heres an opinion. I think a new shooter can be well served by starting with a half way decent factory barrel. The reason I say this is cuz they will need to learn to listen to the gun and feed it what it wants. Thats a skill that needs to be developed. It takes time but its worth it in the long run.
A good custom will shoot just about anything well. A factory tube is quite different. Takes a willingness to suceed and the courage to try something totally different to get them hummin good.
That skill will serve a shooter well even once he goes custom.
As I said, just my opinion;)

Heres an opinion. I think a new shooter can be well served by starting with a half way decent factory barrel. The reason I say this is cuz they will need to learn to listen to the gun and feed it what it wants. Thats a skill that needs to be developed. It takes time but its worth it in the long run.

I'd do just the opposite -- start with a rifle that never, ever lies. If the bullets aren't in the same hole it is never the rifle's fault if it is a top-shelf BR rig, which means that the shooter learns more with every shot. More about reloading, more about bench and gun handling technique, and, especially, more about wind reading. You can't get that from a factory rifle whose barrel, stock, bedding, and trigger just aren't up to the task of putting the bullets on top of each other.

Plus, getting a really good factory rifle off the shelf is a total crapshoot, whereas a purpose-built BR rifle is predictably a good shooter. A used BR rifle may have a barrel that has seen better days, but will still outshoot a factory offering, and is fine for breaking in a new shooter.

There is absolutely no difference in cost between shooting a factory and a custom rifle, so those expensive components should be fired from the best possible platform to shorten the learning curve. IMO. :)

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

Toby

I still agree. A custom will teach you how to shoot.
A factory will teach you how to handload and diagnose problems.

Just so happens I cut my teeth with factory tubes. Maybe thats biased:D

My first post on this forum was when I stated my goal was to get my Sav 204R to shoot a 10 shot group at 200yds at .25 moa.
Sure got a lot of laughs and hecklers.

Reached that goal and then some. Four barrels later I still have a fondness for my little 204 that started me on this journey. Three of those barrels performed into the .25 moa regularily. One was a bummer. I've shot a handful of 0's with those 204's A whole lot more hoops to jump thru to get there as opposed to a custom tube. But thats what I do for fun. Mostly because most people say it can't be done.

Cost? My original VLP cost $648.00 I think. A Shilen ready to screw on tube costs around $260. Not sure about the Rifle Basix triggers. I think they went up quite a bit. Lets say $120. Throw in a bolthead if needed and a forend stabilizer and your done.
My NF 12X42 cost more than a basic Sav semi custom.

Throw in a barrel wrench, barrel and maybe another bolthead and I can shoot just about any cartridge known to man.
FWIW my 6BR 14 twist is not that far behind my custom ppc in accuracy. Might even rival it if I were to screw it back on today. I've learned a bit since then.

I am new to bench rest also and had considered building a savage as well. However it simply did not make sense to. Fred will charge you $300 to tune and put a 2oz trigger on it ( he does really good work) a good barrel fitted and chambered is $450 to $500 a bench rest stock from Fred is $300. So no matter how you add you will have $1000 plus not counting the action the action.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. I can get a new action for $300 (local deal). The rifle referred to is $1,650. If I can have my local guy build one for maybe $1,400 (assuming the above quote isn't missing something), how is this http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-bin/cla...uery=retrieval rifle a deal at $1,650? I'm most probably missing something. I know I am if it cost $1,800.

After reading the above posts, I'm getting pushed more towards the custom thing. The idea of stacking five on top of each other sounds more appealing by the day. If a used custom will do that for the same price as a reworked factory, it's pretty easy to go the custom route.

Thanks again.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. I can get a new action for $300 (local deal). The rifle referred to is $1,650. If I can have my local guy build one for maybe $1,400 (assuming the above quote isn't missing something), how is this http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-bin/cla...uery=retrieval rifle a deal at $1,650?

It isn't a deal, and I'd be surprised if it sells for anything like the asking price.

I'm most probably missing something. I know I am if it cost $1,800.

That's about what it costs to build off a factory action if you pay for all the work, and if the action is really brought up to par.

After reading the above posts, I'm getting pushed more towards the custom thing. The idea of stacking five on top of each other sounds more appealing by the day.

Here's a group (see attached) I shot with my first BR rifle (bought used for $1K). That's an 0.028 @ 100yd -- a .30 cal bullet won't fit through the hole made by five 6mm bullets. :)

I shot that rifle for 2 years, won some hardware with it, and sold it for -- $1000.

If a used custom will do that for the same price as a reworked factory, it's pretty easy to go the custom route.

Many of us reached the same conclusion after wasting money upgrading factory rifles.

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

Attachments

• Masker 6PPC 100yd.jpg
    Masker 6PPC 100yd.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 158
Back