Browning Mountain Titanium A-Bolt Rifles

P

P Corncob Bob

Considering purchase of a lightweight hunting rifle for deer sized animals.

Getting to age that carrying a mag and walking canyons is becoming more difficult, but that is where the big bucks live in my area.

Browning Mountain Titanium A-Bolt rifle with advertised weight just less than 5-1/2 pounds is very appealing. With a hunting scope and sling I would guess rifle would weigh a couple of ounces either side of 7-1/2 pounds.

I don't see any other factory hunting rifle that weighs less, and as light and as fast handling as I can find with acceptable accuracy is what I am after.

Browning website only offers them in .243 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington , and .308 Winchester, and three short mag calibers.

Every short mag I have seen shoot to date in a out of box factory rifle, doesn't do so well for accuracy, even with handloads. I am sure there are exceptions but haven't seen it.

From those persons out there that own a Browning Mountain Titanium A-Bolt, is this rifle with MSRP of over $1900.00 worth the investment? What is accuracy like?

Others recommendations welcome.

Thanks!

Old Cob

Borden Basic Rifle

Can't comment on the Browning rifle quality, but for deer sized game, you can not go wrong with the 7-08 caliber, long-time favorite of silhouette shooters at 500 yds/mtrs, highly accurate and gets the job done.

Would suggest you take a look at Borden Rifles "Basic" rifles, yes spending about $800 more, but getting great quality in terms of action, stock and barrel. Bet you could work with them to come up with exactly what you want, in a package you'll be happy with. You'll likley end up spending that much or more getting the Browning to do what you want, and you get a great trigger with the "basic" to begin with.

At least take a look and give them a call.:rolleyes:

I will check with Borden to see if they can provide a rifle to match the 5-1/2 pound weight of the Browning Mountain Titanium.

In my limited experience with Browning A-Bolts, factory trigger is adequate and easy to reduce to a safe hunting rifle pull weight.

Although quality of Borden would be superior to the Browning Mountain Titanium in form, fit, and function, idea of factory rifle was lightweight and fast handling with acceptable accuracy. (less than or equal to 1-1/2 moa max), and fast delivery.

Possibly waiting a couple of lifetimes for a custom rifle is something I want to avoid.

After all, at my age I won't even buy green bananas.

Old Cob

Last edited by a moderator:
light hunting rifles

i carry a kimber 8400 montana in 300 wsm. i can group 1 moa all day with factory loads.the trigger is incredible. great rifle, weighs 7 with a burris 3-9*40. pack it for montana elk. great hunting rifle. but i have heard bad things on customer service.

You might check into Ultra Light Arms rifle.

From everything I've read they shoot great.

When Colt owned the Co. for a short period of time they made some rifles in 30-06.
They can be found in the $500-600.00 range.

Hal

...quality of Borden would be superior to the Browning Mountain Titanium in form, fit, and function...

Borden Rifles are the best, period. I strongly suggest the addition of a muzzle break especially when going with an extremely light weight rifle.

Adrian

Borden rifles sound good as far as accuracy goes and that they are custom made in the United States. Turnaround time is a concern.

Kimber rifles sound good as accuracy and weighing 5 pounds a 2 ounces.(5 ounces lighter than Browning Mountain Titanium) I understand QC varies widely. Service and parts are a concern as both would come from over seas.

Is there any one out there that owns a Browning Mountain Titanium A-Bolt that would share there opinion of this rifle?

Is there any on out there that is disappointed with performance or service on any Browning A-Bolt?

Thanks to those who have responded so far.

Old Cob

titanium rifles

my brother and i have several remngton 700's with factory barrels. . his 300rem short shoots awesome. . put a krieger barrel on any factory rifel and you are ready to shoot

I do have experience with Remington 700's.

They are great pieces but in my experience need tuning to shoot like I want them to, and traditionally heavy.

Don't think a person could build a 5-1/2 pound Remington 700 fast handling hunting rifle.

Old Cob

bob

take a rem "mtn rifle" (short action) and just add a Brown precision kevlar "1lber" stock, change to an alum. shroud, use some lt. wt. rings like talleys or S&K's Mine weighs 6-3/4 lbs with a leu 2.5x8. Not custom, and relatively inexpensive for the result.

Remington Ti Alaskan 6 1/4# 24" tube which is better for longer range/slower powders. Can be had in short or long action Rem 700 action is still the most desired for an after market build if you decide to sell. I don't understand how 2#s of rifle weight will make you more comfortable. It will definately not be fun at the bench or load testing.
There are better ways to cut weight imho. Look at the weight of your boots and clothing. How about a simple outdoor edge whitetail skinner instead of the traditional 5-7" drop point knife. A better pack fit or even a smaller fanny pack on a kidney type belt. When I worked in a shop along time ago we would sell alot of the light weight guns in the summer. Around the new year we would take alot of the same rifles we sold in as trades for heavier or magnum depending on what was written in the mags ie F&S Sports Afield, Peterson's etc. It was too funny really. Just food for thought good luck

titanium remington 700

my brother and i have several remngton 700's with factory barrels. . his 300rem short shoots awesome. . put a krieger barrel on any factory rifel and you are ready to shoot

the current model is heavier and expensive. the ones my brother and i have a weigh less than a browning. 5.25#

You might look into the Custom "Stalking Rifle" which showed some promise but never really caught on.
I may have a book with a photo spread on these here somewhere.

The idea was to trim a standard rifle of all un necessary weight , and they did so in a pretty radical fashion.

One example I remember was a Springfield with full length barrel, the barrel was turned down below even a light sporter profile, the mag was shortened to hold about three rounds and action screws and trigger shortened to match, not sure if the floor plate was retained or if a blind box was used.

The goal was to maintain a good grouping for at least three shots, but not more. The butt stock was trimmed radically as well, very slim straight grip small buttplate. The finished rifle was almost a walking stick, and for climbing it was often used in that manner.

I've seen a few 18th and 19th century poachers guns built along these lines, sometimes the butt is cutaway in a skeleton profile.

Possibly adding a slightly heavier contour custom barrel at a later date is my concern with attempting to stay as with as light a rifle as possible.

Turnaround time from gunsmith I use to tune an action and rebarrel is very acceptable.

Associated cost and turnaround time for custom work involved with lightening existing action, action components, and stock, in my experience is something I want to avoid.

Old Cob

Bob,
It sounds to me like you have talked yourself into the Browning. You have all the arguments to not go with anything else...go ahead and get one! It won't be the most accurate, nor the lightest most likely, but for the most part they are reliable rifles and will do the job for you just fine.
Mark

Chopper:

Yes I did pretty much decide on the Browning Mountain Titanium A-Bolt, just wanted to see what else might be out there may be as accurate and light and fast handling.

Custom rifles no doubt would be ultimately the way to go, but traditional delivery time can range from acceptable to a couple of life times.

Son's Browning A-Bolt 30.06 shoot very well, and my gunsmith says he has tuned fewer A-Bolts than any other popular hunting rifle. He also tells me there isn't alot of correction to be made when tuning an A-Bolt.

I have not heard, (but I am sure there are some exceptions) that A-Bolts don't shoot and function well.

Old Cob

Purchase a Rem Seven Stainless Syn,
sell the tupperware stock for $40,
pillar/bed a synthetic stock -
you'll have $1K+ in your pocket to purchase other hunting gear/ammo.

The Rem 700Ti S/A's & L/A's in my possession shoot/pack quite well.

The Ultra-lite Arms Co. started the popularity of extreme lightweight hunting arms in the '80's. I have had through the years several rifles that were in the same class.
The one draw-back for me is they are difficult to use on running game. The local clubs holding running deer shoots are always won by mid- weight sporters.

My Vote

Reminton Model 7, SS, 7-08, bedded in a McMillan ultra light, use Tally Light Weight Scope Mounts and a Leupold ultralight 3-9x33mm scope.

Back