Bronze bore brush

338lm

When you clean your barrel with a bronze bore brush is it okay to stroke it back and forth without exiting the muzzle of the barrel?
For example in the throat area and first 1/3 of the barrel where the powder residue can be more stubborn to get out.

If the brush is any good

One will not be able to stroke it back and fourth without exiting the barrel. Once they get worn down it can be done by then the brush is no good.

Last edited:
A Suggestion

When you clean your barrel with a bronze bore brush is it okay to stroke it back and forth without exiting the muzzle of the barrel?
For example in the throat area and first 1/3 of the barrel where the powder residue can be more stubborn to get out.

I use a stiff nylon brush made by IOSSO for this task. I use their oil and paste for removing carbon build-up as needed. I do not let the brush exit the crown of the barrel.

Gary

To get out the carbon [or stubborn powder residue as referred to], just use 3 to 5 tight fitting patches with JB Bore Cleaning Compound. No need for a bronze brush.

Comments on JB Paste from a well known source:

"I personally believe in the use of JB Bore Cleaner... I use it after every yardage. 3 to 5 tight fitting patches with JB will get the powder fouling out... I do a full cleaning before I use JB and also after I use JB, to make certain I've got all the JB out of the barrel. ... Tony Boyer"

Source: The Benchrest Shooting Primer, ON THE TOPIC OF BARRELS, by Tony Boyer, Page 349, upper left.

Attachments

• JB Bore Cleaning Compound.jpg
    JB Bore Cleaning Compound.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 239
To my knowledge J-B is J-B. There is no substitute per say, although some might call IOSSO Bore Cleaner a sub. They're two different formulas.

Brownells is the exclusive licensee of J-B as stated on the side of the jar so you might give them a call and ask if the 40-X Bore Cleaner [formerly Remington Bore Cleaner] has any of the properties found in J-B. I suspect it doesn't. :)

I would advise to re-enter the barrel again after you have pushed the brush through! Not that it will harm the barrel, but the coppar brush can break and it can harm the brass....If you work the brush to hard in the barrel or, try to reverse the brush it can drop off coppar straws that can harm the brass when they expand when shooting. If this happen you need to clean thouroughly and take of the barrel.

Olsson

Back