Brass Neck Thickness

Jeffreytooker

My gun is teal blue
I am building a 260 Rem. Will be making brass from Lapua 308 Palma. In sizing down the neck, it will get thicker and a bit longer. I would like to just clean up the necks. This should come out around .015". Is this too thick? I know Jackie S. likes to keep the brass. I will use final neck thickness to determine reamer neck diameter when I order my reamer.

Thank you.

Jeffrey

Jeffery,

I load for both the 25-08 and the 260 AI. For both I use 246 Lapua and neck it up.

I have had better results with the neck up process than the neck down. Necked up my 25-08 usually comes up to a 0.0120 to 0.0123 neck wall with Laupa depending on the lot of brass.

Octopus:

The reasons for the neck down are two. First I would like to try Lapua Palma brass, small primer. Second the neck gets a bit longer when necking down. The 260 case is actually about .5 mm longer than the 308W case.
Thank you for the info.

Jeffrey

Interesting. I had missed that.

I made my 25-08 by running in my 25BR reamer deeper. So its not an issue on this one. I will have to double check on the 260 AI.

How much neck clearance are you running on your 260?

I have not decided neck clearance yet, but it will be between .001 - .0015" on each side. My 6 BR is a no turn and it is about .00125" on a side. It seems to work well and the neck thickness is ~.013". I have about a .266" die for a good bit of neck tension.

Jeffrey

Back