Brass measurements confusing me!

Something to think about

Here’s another option that will allow you to use the same die without adjusting the die ring for multiple chambers. With my CoAx and shellholder adapter I like to have solid die-shellholder contact to act as the stop instead of the press linkage. So I’ve taken some shellholders that were laying around and 2 sets of Redding Comp shellholders, miced them with a depth mic, and then using a piece of emery cloth that is laid on a plate of glass, sanded some of them down so I have shellholders that cover a wide range in .001” increments. Then even if your smith is off by a couple thousands between barrels when headspacing or if you have different chambers that will work with the same die, all it takes is some measuring of fired cases from each chamber to find the shortest or longest headspace, set the die well off the press stops for either while using the appropriate shellholder, and do a little record keeping on the inside lid or wherever so you’ll know which shellholder to use for each chamber. No more PITA moving the die ring.

Attachments

• 006 (325x244).jpg
    006 (325x244).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 109
Another advantage to what you have done is that having the shell holder be the stop puts it in a more consistent position relative to the die than if it does not touch. We have determined the effectiveness of this approach by experimentation. It helps to eliminate the differences in linkage compression that result from slight variations in case lube and brass hardness that contribute to variations in shoulder bump within the same set of brass, at the same die setting. I have played with the idea of modifying a press so that it has an adjustable stop, so that it can slightly toggle all the time, even with no die in place. What do you think?

Yep, I found the shellholder to die stop makes for a more uniform bump.Heck I’m thinking on a short handle for the CoAx so the pressure I put on the die-shellholder would be more uniform just because it’d be less. Even thought on attaching a torque wrench to the handle somehow. Honestly gave only a little thought to my press that cams over. Just don’t know.

Now bullet seating is another story. There the arbor press with a Wilson seats more uniform than either of my other presses no matter what die I use and I don’t think it is just because of the Wilson’s seater cup or that most of my Wilsons are made with the chamber reamers. Not that I've tried shellholder to die stop with the CoAx or RCBS.

Wow

That's a whole lot of information. Now I need to distill out the action parts and organize them into a process. The firing pin removal tool is en route from Bat. So I want to be ready to start when it arrives. Thanks to all of you who passed on your insights. :)

Back