BR to F-Class. Possible fisrt timmer questions.

Larry M

I have 6Dasher setup for 600yd IBS. But only 1 place to shoot it, while there are 3 places within driving distance that shoot F-Class. Bridgeville, New Holland and Cumberland Riflemen. I have read some of the rules but have never witnessed a match. I know they pull the target after each shot, 2 sighters and 20 rounds for score 3 times. I read something about squading, don't know what that is. I know how BR matches run in relays how do these F-Class matches run. Last how do most people setup their rests and rear bags stably on grass, gravel, dirt, ECT? Does anyone have pics of how their rests are setup? TIA
Larry

Good morning, Larry - am responding by quoting parts of your post
I have read some of the rules but have never witnessed a match.
You know where the matches are - go see one. Helps explain things far more than reading about one. Don't be surprised if you get drafted into shooting in the match though! As for rules, the complete NRA highpower rulebook is available online at http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf . While Section 22 is listed as being F-Class rules, it is NOT the entire set of rules for F-Class. Other procedures required when participating in a match are contained within the rest of the rulebook.

I read something about squading, don't know what that is. I know how BR matches run in relays how do these F-Class matches run.
Squadding = assigning people in relays as either a shooter, a scorekeeper, or someone servicing targets in the pits. Once all shooters finish firing, there is a rotation. Scorekeepers become shooters; and previous set of shooters may either score or exchange duties with the pit crew (who usually become scorekeepers).

Can't help you with gear setup, as I don't shoot F-Class. Others here may. Another resource for asking questions about F-Class is the forum at www.long-range.com. Membership is required to read or post, but is free.

Hope this helps.

Asa

DISCLAIMER: I am an admin at Long-Range.com, but derive no financial or material benefits from this role.

As for how do we set up on grass. We still use the same rests front and rear as in benchrest. A lot of people have F class feet on the front rest legs to stop the posts from sinking into the dirt, If you dont have these feet, just use a thin peice of wood, or as I have had to resort to on the line, some coins under the legs.
For your rear bag, just dont sit it on the padded part of your shooting mat.

Squading usualy means you share a target with another shooter. One of you shoots your shots first, while the other one markes your scores as you go. Then after one shooter has finished, they do the scoring as the other one shoots.

As for the targets. After each shot, the target is pulled down and a spotting peg placed in the bullet hole. The spotting peg is a wood dowel with a corflute or cardbourd disc on it to help you see where the bullet hit.
Once you get there and finish one target, it all makes sense and goes well.
But there is one major problem.

It is very addictive. Be warned.

Are you a member at bridge ville? They have some F-class practices up there from time to time. It's alot of fun, I just picked up a 308 to shoot in the TR class. I've only shot one match and had a blast. The biggest plus in my book over 600 yard IBS is I get to shoot alot more. But, I still plan to shoot the IBS there in the winter.

Thank you everyone this is a big help in my understanding. With the price of gas there is no way I'm driving to a match just to WATCH ! I'd be pulling my hair out.

Racinready: I'm not a member there but shoot the 600 IBS there. Did not shoot at all last season though had trouble with my rifle but I got it worked out now and my trigger finger is getting twitchy. I am anxious to back into competition and I'm looking for something to do till the BR season starts back up over there. I think I get more rounds in at the Br though because I shoot a Light gun in both classes but there are more places that offer F-Class. I have a 308 too but would need to get a bipod Is it possible to shoot both classes or would it mess up the rotation?
Thanks again.
Larry

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anyone shooting more than one class. Unless you have paid target service it wouldn't work at all because you have to go down and pull targets. It *might* work with paid service and another shooter or two interested in doing the same. To say the least its highly unusual; I wouldn't bank on being able to do it. Most match directors would just look at you like you have a third eyeball in the middle of your forehead if you even asked - having to do special squadding to accommodate one or two people is not usually high on their list of priorities...

Thank you everyone this is a big help in my understanding. With the price of gas there is no way I'm driving to a match just to WATCH ! I'd be pulling my hair out.

Racinready: I'm not a member there but shoot the 600 IBS there. Did not shoot at all last season though had trouble with my rifle but I got it worked out now and my trigger finger is getting twitchy. I am anxious to back into competition and I'm looking for something to do till the BR season starts back up over there. I think I get more rounds in at the Br though because I shoot a Light gun in both classes but there are more places that offer F-Class. I have a 308 too but would need to get a bipod Is it possible to shoot both classes or would it mess up the rotation?
Thanks again.
Larry

I just started shooting IBS there this past fall. And decided to shoot F-class for the same reason your looking at it basicly. I just wanted to keep shooting 600 yards through the summer. It's nice knowing where you hit after every shot, and you get to do a decent amount of shooting, with 60 shots for score. IBS I shot light and heavy and that still only 40 shots that count. There also not really any sitting around like in the BR shoots, your always doing something. I guess that's good and bad. lol

I just started shooting IBS there this past fall. And decided to shoot F-class for the same reason your looking at it basicly. I just wanted to keep shooting 600 yards through the summer. It's nice knowing where you hit after every shot, and you get to do a decent amount of shooting, with 60 shots for score. IBS I shot light and heavy and that still only 40 shots that count. There also not really any sitting around like in the BR shoots, your always doing something. I guess that's good and bad. lol

Witch do you like better?

It's a bit of a toss up for me, both have there ups and downs. In F-Class it's kind of tough to get your equipment all set up to shoot off a rest on the ground. The target is bigger, but no wind flags make it trickey. And you get to do more shooting in F-Class. They mark everyshot, so you know where you hit after each shot. This really helps, nothing like getting a crappy sighter period in IBS and then just guessing and throughing 5 shots down range. But, in F-class you only get 2 sighters, so you need to get on target quick.

At the IBS shoot, in B-ville they put together a hell of a meal to go with your shoot. Hard to beat that.

I've only shot one F-class shoot so far, ask me again at the end of the summer I may be able to give you a better answer. Right now, I'd probably lean more toward the F-Class.

Well I went I saw I learned I shot I won I came home and typed a great big ol post about my first F-class experience and my PC crashed before I got to post it. I am now heartily discouraged. But I wanted to talk about all I learned the people I shot with and everyone who taught me about what I need to do and scoring and help with my come-ups and generally pointed me in the right direction. I had fun, I now have a new game to play, a lot more places and matches to shoot. I wanted to thank everyone and the folks from Cumberland Riflemen in south New Jersey.

Br guys if your on the fence "Try it you'll like it"
Larry

Back