BR bullet thread?

B

BR guy

Searching for the thread on making BR bullets but can't find it anywhere. I hope it's not gone? Sam

That's too bad. I enjoyed reading it and wanted to go back and read it again.

Tim

Might be because it seems Stephen Perry must have went off of his meds again and was causing havoc. He started the post and a lot of his posts have been deleted now.

Maybe if someone talked nicely to Wilbur he might put the post back up if its not totally gone

Wibur deleted arguement brewing { rightly so also} I don't think it was stephens fault on the thread it just may have wondered from the initial intent, If theres something i can help with ask. Gerry

Last edited:
I have been been on my Meds for 15 years now. Doing fine feel great. How many of you guys on Meds? I never go off my Meds.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

making 118 30cal with steel dies and wondering , were should the lead core be in relation to the tip on the finished bullet?
or is there a 'optimum' core length (finished) in relation to jacket length?

The 1 .000 inch should be the proper one for the 118gr {at least with my dies.] max i can get is 115 on the .925
with an 8 ogive, Thats what works for me.

Coreplacement.jpg

Both are 118-7s both are on 1" Jackets yet placement is not the same, mine measures .590 from the base to the core and the BIB measures .555 from the base to the core just wondering If I should lighten my cores up to leave the area above the core a little more open?

making 118 30cal with steel dies and wondering , were should the lead core be in relation to the tip on the finished bullet?
or is there a 'optimum' core length (finished) in relation to jacket length?

Steve, the main thing I've found is that the core needs to be far enough forward to support the jacket as the ogive is formed during the point up process. Assuming this....and with any sort of 'in the ballpark' jacket length/core length/finished weight....where the distal end of the core ends up is simply where it ends up.

I would encourage you to trim the metplat of a finished bullet back enough to get a look at how the leading edges of the core responds to the point up process. Pay special attention to the outer edge of the core....where the lead line is after the core is seated. What I look for here, is that the core remains perfectly symetrical around the i.d. of the jacket during the point up step. This can also give some valuable insight into what works best for core seating pressure and core material. This might be overkill, but it's another control step you can take.

As an aside, I sure hope the original thread isn't gone or hasn't been deleted. The original poster can, in fact, delete an entire thread if they choose to do so. I really hope this isn't the case, here. Many, many people put a lot of time and effort into getting info out there for both beginning and experienced bullet makers to benefit from. I know I picked up some good, solid info.

I'll reserve further comments until we hear from Wilbur.

Coreplacement.jpg

Both are 118-7s both are on 1" Jackets yet placement is not the same, mine measures .590 from the base to the core and the BIB measures .555 from the base to the core just wondering If I should lighten my cores up to leave the area above the core a little more open?

Steve, assuming identical core lengths, a higher numbered ogive will result in the core 'migrating' further forward during the point up step. It has to....it's got no where else to go but forward. Your dies are probably closer to an 8 ogive than a 7. -Al

Al
I did not delete the BR Bullet Making Thread. It still appears on my Computer but it seems the Posting has stopped. Not my doing.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

I would just back the point die off a tad . There should be almost zero meplet. I agree with Al . Leave the core weight alone . If 118 is the weight you want. It looks like the point has plenty of support right now for a 118 Bullet.
Watch for swage marks The fewer the better. too much lube will leave deeper marks . OK?

Gerry I see your join date is 2010. Which means you may not have any first hand experience with Stephen on this board.
While he can have great input and really great post with a lot of zeal for the sport, he also seems to have trouble of other natures.
I have been on here for 7 years more or less and this is not the first time he has done this.
He has been banned from the sight numerous times for aggressive and belligerent posts and that is putting it mildly.
It seems he may have gone off of his meds again.

Vern I was on before name Gerry New name Gerry M Some kind of glitch signing in. I asked the moderator { no reply]
I just reregistered with an M after gerry

Last edited:
I'm wondering where the thread went myself. George ulrich was on al , and some of the regular bullet suppliers.
There was a lot of imput for new bullet makers. Nader made a reply also. Hes just starting and enjoying rolling his own. He did pretty well at the super shoot too.

Back