boring bar

Jerry should like a close up of the grind. When I click on the picture to enlarge it, it gets smaller?

J.Louis

Lets try it again.

This is a quite common hand ground boring tool ground to be used in a block type turret or in an Aloris type holder

Note the undercut ground on the front bottom corner. This is to clear the wall of a small bore. The lip (cutting tip) is relieved to make a positive rake cutting action.

Admittedly it is not pretty but I can't see well enough any more to make pretty, but it works great.

2q03xvc.jpg

Thanks Jerry thats perfect. I can now clearing understand how to grind one and I can also see the stiffness advantage over the round shanks.

Thanks Again!
J.Louis

Pardon me guys....but being a part time casual target shooter who doesn't engage in this kind of craft to ever use these terms, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the OP would choose to place this topic here instead of posting it in the general discussion forum.

Before clicking into this topic to read its content, I couldn't imagine why there were 3 pages of threads generated on the subject about somebody saying that they were bored at the local bar.

Last edited:
I'd stay out of one's with a lot of ferns hanging from the ceiling.... People there are usually very boring.

Another thing to watch out for is to go bare hunting in a quiet neighborhood. They don't want you to use a muzzle break...

Last edited:
Lets try it again.

This is a quite common hand ground boring tool ground to be used in a block type turret or in an Aloris type holder

Note the undercut ground on the front bottom corner. This is to clear the wall of a small bore. The lip (cutting tip) is relieved to make a positive rake cutting action.

Admittedly it is not pretty but I can't see well enough any more to make pretty, but it works great.

2q03xvc.jpg

This boring tool is meant to be run with the shank more or less parallel with the spindle axis, correct?

This boring tool is meant to be run with the shank more or less parallel with the spindle axis, correct?

Yep! The long axis of this tool should be almost parallel to the lathes rotational axis. (Z-axis in CNC terms). It should be a degree or two off to allow chip clearance.

The tools cutting tip should be on center or just slightly above center.

Just looked at my most used one. It is a Micro 100 model# 1801500. It has a .250 shank with a depth capability of 1.500". The width of the cutting part is .180.

I make my small boring bars by brazing HSS pieces on the end of the bar.
This makes for very little grinding. A good method for making bars for threading small holes also.
I find it easy to bore under 1/4" diameter up to 1" depth. My time has little value also. Kenny

Back