boresnake

There's strong support for the argument that you don't use a boresnake on any rifle, but that aside, the two critical parts of a precision barrel are both ends & there's every chance that use of such a flexible device might result in damage thereabouts.

There's strong support for the argument that you don't use a boresnake on any rifle, but that aside, the two critical parts of a precision barrel are both ends & there's every chance that use of such a flexible device might result in damage thereabouts.

TELL ME !!- Then if that is correct- Why every country including the U S have issued bore snakes for cleaning rifles both in wars past and present . What is there to a bore snake that will damage a barrel at both ends as you imply. The snake is made of woven cotton or rayon with a small bronze brush incorporated into the snake it's self. Would it not be an issue for any government to have to replace arms every six months or so . I can't understand how a bore snake would harm a barrel. Any company manufacturing such devices to clean a rifle barrel and it is proven to damage barrels would be liable. Please help me understand just how a soft material with a bronze brush will cause such a problem. garrisone.

TELL ME !!- Then if that is correct- Why every country including the U S have issued bore snakes for cleaning rifles both in wars past and present . What is there to a bore snake that will damage a barrel at both ends as you imply. The snake is made of woven cotton or rayon with a small bronze brush incorporated into the snake it's self. Would it not be an issue for any government to have to replace arms every six months or so . I can't understand how a bore snake would harm a barrel. Any company manufacturing such devices to clean a rifle barrel and it is proven to damage barrels would be liable. Please help me understand just how a soft material with a bronze brush will cause such a problem. garrisone.

It's the dirt and grit the bore snake accumulates in use or storage that would likely do damage to the barrel as it's pulled through it. How many times would you use the same patch?--Mike Ezell

Barrels on service rifles or not hand laped renchrest barrels

Do you really think it's practical to be carrying around a cleaning rod in the battlefield?

Use it as a Saber

You can also use it to skewer your opponent, when you Weapon misfires or jams, because of the dirt left behind by the bore snake.

Boresnake

You can also use it to skewer your opponent, when you Weapon misfires or jams, because of the dirt left behind by the bore snake.

Ever noticed the starter housing on a weedeater or pull start lawnmower? That's a good indication of what a boresnake could do to the crown or breech.
Gene

Remember that you're issuing to GI's, not the most exacting creature on this earth. It's been a while since I was there but I'll bet they haven't changed much. All they care about is a rifle that goes bang when it's needed. Minute of man is a somewhat larger bull than our x's or 100's. Wind don't mean much when your target is shooting back.;)

The cleaning rods that are issued are multi piece screw together types. Also not what we use on target rifles. Got to keep them practical to carry in the jungles and deserts of the world.

Ken

All this talk about ( do not use a bore snake )
How about some info on what we should be using, and how often.

Foosurdaddy

I use bore snakes and they dont hurt the barrel or crown ....but most are too short for rimfire benchrest.They dont do a total clean but they work ok. Do you really want to clean everything out of the barrel ? Run one threw 50 times and bore scope it no difference. Everybody has their own way of doing things use whats best for you.
If your worried about dirt run them thru the washer.And when you are shoot open sights in battle you damm sure better worry about the wind. The Marines at Parris Island qualify out to 600 meters ,open sights not a 50x scope..go figure

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever noticed the starter housing on a weedeater or pull start lawnmower? That's a good indication of what a boresnake could do to the crown or breech.
Gene

I call BS prove it. There are a 100 ways each one of you cleans a barrel and everytime someone asks a questions it's like there stupid. People come hear to learn and add not listen to this a 300 lbs test of mono going at 3000 rpms is not a bore snake . Use a coated rod or non coated ..What rest ect...Scores are posted fast enough ect ect geezzzzzzzzzzzzz grow up already

I call BS prove it. There are a 100 ways each one of you cleans a barrel and everytime someone asks a questions it's like there stupid. People come hear to learn and add not listen to this a 300 lbs test of mono going at 3000 rpms is not a bore snake . Use a coated rod or non coated ..What rest ect...Scores are posted fast enough ect ect geezzzzzzzzzzzzz grow up already

You need to read what I posted again. I never mentioned mono and I really don't believe the pull cord is going 3000 rpms unless you're a lot faster than I am.
Pull whatever the h#ll you want to thru your barrel, it's yours.:D
Gene

Mr Tuna

At least we know who Gene is and his track record for shooting, what's your's??? He's giving a good example, just in a little different way, but it must be nothing but BS according to you. Am I correct? )chill(

If you believe that pulling one of these things with even a little fouling in them over your nice match crown on your nice soft stainless barrel time after time will do nothing, I'd welcome you to do it for a season and then come up and I'll introduce you to my borescope. Bring fresh shorts, your gonna have a surprise moment.

C'mon guys, one is talking Bore Snake , the other is talking Patch Worm, they're not the same, just a misunderstanding.

I use bore snakes and they dont hurt the barrel or crown ....but most are too short for rimfire benchrest.They dont do a total clean but they work ok. Do you really want to clean everything out of the barrel ? Run one threw 50 times and bore scope it no difference. Everybody has their own way of doing things use whats best for you.
If your worried about dirt run them thru the washer.And when you are shoot open sights in battle you damm sure better worry about the wind. The Marines at Parris Island qualify out to 600 meters ,open sights not a 50x scope..go figure

Jim

You can do what you want, I don't care. Some things erode over time and are not noticable until the damage is done. New guys that ask these questions will have to read and make their own choices on what to believe. As a case in point, ask the Grand Canyon how soft water is.

My experience has been that when the lead is flying, I've never seen a GI dope the wind. Now a sniper at long range is a different matter. And yes I've shot 1000 yards with iron sights and yes, I did dope the wind.

Ken Henderson

Let me give a few examples of goverment procurement.

1. A company sends some of it's product(s) to a branch(or branches) of service for them to try out. It doesn't even matter whether or not the branch throws them in the trash or even tries them out, the company will immediately start claiming "Used by XYX in combat" or some other slogan.

2. During the kickoff of the Afghan war, the pentagon found itself very short on a lot of items. Sometimes, the procurement of certain items (especially holsters and cleaning items) were left to a divisional or brigade MMC to procure. Most of these officers knew nothing of what they were buying and proceded to try and save money. This is how we ended up with holsters that pistols would fall out of and magazines that the bottoms would fall off and your rounds would fall out on the ground at the most inconvient time. That's why I used the same mags that I had used during my first deployment in 1985 all the way through to 2005, except for changing springs.

I had never seen a boresnake in combat but maybe some units bought them...I don't know...but I do know that every unit I was with still used the basic GI cleaning kit. I did carry a sinclair AR cleaning link and a modified stoney point to clean with, along with my own cleaning fluid and lube. I also knew tricks of using cling wrap to keep the damn dust and sand out of things without hindering weapon use in the heat of things.

I will also say this, some things must be looked at with a little reality. One, out of all the years that I was in the service, I may have met a handfull of soldiers that could hit a paper plate at 100 meters off hand in a combat situation.

Hovis

Back