Bore Tech Eliminator

D

Denver Dave

I've been using Bore Tech Eliminator to clean my custom barrels because the patches kept turning up blue long after patches from other solvents had quit turning blue, and I assumed it was doing a better job at getting rid of the copper fouling. (The patches eventually turned up white.)

But I was recently cleaning my Rem XR-100 factory barrel and the patches kept turning up blue no matter how many times I patched and brushed it. Then I tried Butches and Hoppes (separately) and no blue. Then I tried some Sweets 7.62, which I hadn't used in some time, and even it didn't leave any blue. Now if anything would turn a patch blue it would be Sweets, correct?

Is Bore Tech better than everything else, or is it putting blue food coloring in their solvent?

I've been using Bore Tech Eliminator to clean my custom barrels because the patches kept turning up blue long after patches from other solvents had quit turning blue, and I assumed it was doing a better job at getting rid of the copper fouling. (The patches eventually turned up white.)

But I was recently cleaning my Rem XR-100 factory barrel and the patches kept turning up blue no matter how many times I patched and brushed it. Then I tried Butches and Hoppes (separately) and no blue. Then I tried some Sweets 7.62, which I hadn't used in some time, and even it didn't leave any blue. Now if anything would turn a patch blue it would be Sweets, correct?

Is Bore Tech better than everything else, or is it putting blue food coloring in their solvent?

Did you change jags.

I used the same brush and jag with all the solvents. If the jag was leaching I don't know why it did it only with the Bore Tech (if that's what you're driving at).

Denver Dave,

The cleanest rifle barrels I have looked at with my borescope were cleaned with Eliminator. They were both factory Remingtons, one a .243, and one a shot-to-hell 22-250...both calibers noted for fouling. Both barrels were typical factory...looking like they had been rifled by a drunk 3 year old. However, they were both far cleaner than custom barrels (mine!) that had been cleaned with Butch's.

So...it is either a very effective bore cleaner, or my cleaning routine needs a tune up.

This topic was recently discussed over on the Gunsmiths forum. Might want to see if you can find it.

Justin

Kleen Bore brushes

Kleen Bore brushes are aluminum and nylon. They are the way to go with Bore Tech Copper Eliminator. I get them at Cabelas. If I use a jag or brush with any brass it shows up blue. here is Cabela's item description: Kleen Bore Nylon Rifle Brush Item:IK-224738

Tipton makes a jag nickel plated that does not give false reading on "blue" residues.

I just bought and will use next week to test.

I have used Eliminater

All that blue is from the jag.

For several years now. I use a Stainless small rod and plastic jags, I find the same colored patches as the poster for about a week or so after a match. I shoot coated bullets and clean at home.

I read someplace that the copper is laid down by the jackets melting a bit and the residue being laid on the barrel as a result; more like a plating. I have had barrels that ,when new, retained very little or no copper for a few hundred shots but eventually they will retain copper. The Eliminator will continue to remove copper after the amonia containing products stops.

There was an answer/ad on here a couple of months ago advertising some super copper eater. I wanted to buy some but their shipping and handeling for small quantities is opressive so I didn't buy any yet. If they would change their policy on shipping they might realize a lot more business in the end after the quaqlity of their product had shown itself to more people.

Used to have the same problem with Boretech Eliminator. Went to the Tipton Ultra jags and the problem went away.

Side note:

I bought the tipton nickel jags to see if the blue was a false positive, and can not use the jags as the patches come off the jag on the return stroke.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
i was taught to go only one way then remove patch and/or brush so as not to be draging anything back down the bore.

I have used Eliminator for a couple of years WITH the nickle plated jags. My experience is very simple if the patches are still coming back blue then you still have copper.

I recently swtiched to the Bore Tech, 2 cleaner system where the carbon cutter and the copper cutter are separate and I like it even better.

I don't have to wonder, I own a borescope and NEVER put away a dirty rifle.

Thanks all.

Thanks guys. Lots of good info, and I will chase it down. It sounds like Bore Tech is good stuff, which is good to hear since I have a large quantity of it.

Denver Dave,

The cleanest rifle barrels I have looked at with my borescope were cleaned with Eliminator. They were both factory Remingtons, one a .243, and one a shot-to-hell 22-250...both calibers noted for fouling. Both barrels were typical factory...looking like they had been rifled by a drunk 3 year old. However, they were both far cleaner than custom barrels (mine!) that had been cleaned with Butch's.

So...it is either a very effective bore cleaner, or my cleaning routine needs a tune up.

This topic was recently discussed over on the Gunsmiths forum. Might want to see if you can find it.

Justin

I believe that.

I used to use Butch's but Bore Tech Eliminator is the cats meow. ;)

Back