Bore guide

I'm still stuck on what wears more, a piece of cloth wrapped around brass and pushed by a carbon fiber rod with some rub from a loose guide at a tenth of a mile per hour or a copper jacketed bullet at 2000 miles per hour. Keeping the solvent out part I do understand.
The bullet wear is inevitable, that is the purpose of the barrel in the first place. There are a heck of a lotta guys in this Benchrest game (myself included) that are convinced you do not want to damage your a barrel with poor cleaning techniques. If you do not want to buy into this idea good luck to you.

When you email Mike, put "bore guide" in the title. His system sends a lot of other titles to the spam box.

There are some things you can go cheap on - bore guides aren't one of them.
Regards,
Ron

I'm still stuck on what wears more, a piece of cloth wrapped around brass and pushed by a carbon fiber rod with some rub from a loose guide at a tenth of a mile per hour or a copper jacketed bullet at 2000 miles per hour. Keeping the solvent out part I do understand.
It's not the cloth that wears. it is the rod going over the throat. I wonder why the bore scope always shows more wear on the bottom. Matt

Some people don't know that Mike Lucas also makes a really fine rod caddie to carry your rod or rods in. They fit up perfectly with the insert on the rod of the guide and so you don't need to fumble around so much while brushing and then using the jag. A proper brush does not slide through the insert.

The bullet wear is inevitable, that is the purpose of the barrel in the first place. There are a heck of a lotta guys in this Benchrest game (myself included) that are convinced you do not want to damage your a barrel with poor cleaning techniques. If you do not want to buy into this idea good luck to you.
Indeed , thank you for the luck. Beside all the luck I can use being new to this sport it would be my pleasure to see a few pictures on bullet wear with gas pressures whit comparison to bad cleaning practice if any have one. Thanks , Tom

It's not the cloth that wears. it is the rod going over the throat. I wonder why the bore scope always shows more wear on the bottom. Matt
Do you have the equiptment to take a snap shot and post? I don't but would love to see. Thanks, Tom

"It's not the cloth that wears. it is the rod going over the throat. I wonder why the bore scope always shows more wear on the bottom. Matt"

It might be caused by bending the rod up to clear the comb of the stock with a loose bore guide.
Ron

Well there's this option....

View attachment 15513

Which I think is better than all others, having owned all others.....

And it's certainly cheaper, especially if you buy a hunk of 1/2" AL conduit from the hardware store for the tube.

This is the only bore guide I've ever used which actually keeps all the solvent out of the chamber and allows the rag to wring out properly..

al

I like what you've done with the brass case on the end there. I sort of has my brain working on a new bore guide.

Back