Bore guide

ebb

Is there any other option for an affordable bore guide than a Possum Hollow or a Mike Lucas? I love the Ivy my friend has but don't want to spend the money it takes to get one of them. I am having trouble getting ahold of anybody from the aforementioned places. I have both of their products but in common guns and calibers. This time I need some thing a little different.

Don't know what your definition of "affordable" is, but Sinclair has many selections for less that $20.

one thing to consider...

unless Sinclair has recently changed things, they make bore guides by families. meaning that you order a bore guide for a 6.5 Creedmoor and they send you one that is labeled to work for: 243 Winchester, 6 mm Remington, 250 Savage, 25-06 Remington, 257 Roberts, 270 Winchester, 280 Remington, 7 mm - 08 Remington, 7 mm BR (Benchrest) Remington, 7 mm IHMSA, 7 x 57 mm R, 8 x 57 mm JR.

ask me how i know.

if it's something in which you'd like to protect the throat, i'd look elsewhere. I have several Lucas guides. email him, he'll get back with you in a few hours.

TK Nollan is a real good option along with lucas. Main thing to consider and i see this alot- if you can put your brush thru it then its not working. I know alot work that way like sinclairs and possum hollow

Well there's this option....

bore guide.jpg

Which I think is better than all others, having owned all others.....

And it's certainly cheaper, especially if you buy a hunk of 1/2" AL conduit from the hardware store for the tube.

This is the only bore guide I've ever used which actually keeps all the solvent out of the chamber and allows the rag to wring out properly..

al

TK Nollan is a real good option along with lucas. Main thing to consider and i see this alot- if you can put your brush thru it then its not working. I know alot work that way like sinclairs and possum hollow

I agree and have a TK Nollan to use with my Ivy rods. However, the OP said he didn't want to spend much money so that limits his options.

Call steve at benchrite. He will have an option that will work with your budget and is a stellar individual at that.

Mistake....

I just looked at that pixture I pulled out of my hat and noticed that it doesn't fit my description..... that pertickler setup is for either a 6BR or a 6X47L (looks to be a BR but I've a long-nekkid 6X47L too) so it obviously can't be made with "a 1/2" diameter piece of AL conduit"

Lately I've been making them for bigger stuff, buying 1/2" pipe... and I just stream-a-conscioused it.

ANY road, the outfit is a hunka' pipe with a fireformed case glued on.

It fits perfectly because it's from your own rifle.

al

I have and use several Lucas Rod guides. They all fit the chamber very well and have noticed no leakage into the action/trigger. As a matter of routine, I dry mop the chamber area with a mop and run an action swab down the recesses of the action after each cleaning. The guide is a two part apparatus so that the outer part fits the action and chamber and the inner part fits the rod. Properly. The bore brush does not easily pass through the inner part and it isn't made so that it will. Mike Lucas is a good guy and a Southeast Region shooter. Being a shooter is important to me as the maker/vendor isare apt to know what does and doesn't work and they know what the shooters need and want. TK Nollan makes the best guide on the market but it doesn't fit the bill of the guy who is looking to save a buck on a guide.

ebb,
You can buy a bore guide and then you can buy a "Mike Lucas bore guide". I have two from Mike, one Stolle, one Hall. Both work very good and Mike is great to work with.

john
Mims, Fl.

I have the Lucas guides in .308 and 6mm and am very happy with the way they work. Not sure they are worth what they cost, but they really do work well.

Well there's this option....

View attachment 15513

Which I think is better than all others, having owned all others.....

And it's certainly cheaper, especially if you buy a hunk of 1/2" AL conduit from the hardware store for the tube.

This is the only bore guide I've ever used which actually keeps all the solvent out of the chamber and allows the rag to wring out properly..

al
Thank you! Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I think that it should be mentioned that a cleaning rod guide (or bore guide) has a couple of purposes, to keep solvent out of the action, so that it does not get into, and soften the bedding, and to keep the rod from rubbing against the chamber's throat. It is for the latter reason that for the rifles that I use and clean a lot, that I have guides that are similar to TK Nolan's (made by Chet Whitebread). The inner tubes, that stay on the rods create a much better fit and do a better job of keeping the rods off of my barrels throats.

Speedy Gonzales, Benchrest Hall of Fame member, and well known gunsmith, has said that a rod guide that has a hole in the back that is big enough to admit a brush can't do much more than keep solvent out of the action. That is the reason that the Lucas guides have always had bushings that ride on the rods, that plug into the back of the guide. Possum Hollow also offers this as an option.

Of course technique is also an issue. I have seen lots of shooters, including very talented benchrest competitors, that were seemingly oblivious to the potential effects of their cleaning rod handles being well off of their bores' center lines as they cycled the rods back and forth. In recent years, I have made an effort to pay more attention to technique when cycling cleaning rods in rifle bores. If I have to use a guide that does not have a bushing or tube on the rod, I pay particular care to keep the rod in the center of the guide as I use it. If I manage to do that, I know that I will be in pretty good shape regardless.

bore guide -

Hodwy !

I DK just how " cheap " or universal in style, you might accept in a bore guide ?

MTM makes plastic one(s), that wil do in a pinch.

With regards,
.357Mag

ebb,
You can buy a bore guide and then you can buy a "Mike Lucas bore guide". I have two from Mike, one Stolle, one Hall. Both work very good and Mike is great to work with.

john
Mims, Fl.

I have way past half a dozen of Mikes guides, all first class.
Dick

Last edited:
I'm still stuck on what wears more, a piece of cloth wrapped around brass and pushed by a carbon fiber rod with some rub from a loose guide at a tenth of a mile per hour or a copper jacketed bullet at 2000 miles per hour. Keeping the solvent out part I do understand.

That is easy. I have friends that have seen barrels that were worn unevenly at their throats by improper cleaning, but I have never seen a barrel that was worn out in its front third, where the bullets were going their fastest. Generally, they have come to their ends from being burned out from the throat forward.

Bore Guide

I have called the Possum Hollow site several times and Emailed Mike Lucas twice. Then I realized its hunting season!The guides at Sinclair are Possum Hollow and the website has 10 pages of guides. The have a big mess where all the guides are listed over and over and over, some are listed as out of stock and on the next page the same guide is listed in stock. So I finally just ordered what I wanted and it has told me its on the way. I don't know if it really is or not, but in the mean time its out of my hair. I got a new rifle for my anniversary and didn't want to shoot a whole lot of bullets through it without being able to clean it. I shot it 7 shots and cleaned several times with out a guide (carefully and very slowly). I shows some promise as 2 shots after sight in were almost touching at 200yds. Its an DPMS AR10 in 260 Remington, after reading JP Rifles site on 260s in gas guns, I think going to 123 grain bullets may be best. Thanks for all your helpful replies and hints. I have other guides , PH and Lucas and the AR10 was not going to work with a common guide like I got when I was in St Lewis at Ron's shop. It may have been something he stocks or would have to be made I dont know. I have often wanted to do a custom guide but until a saw the picture one of you posted I had no idea how to make one. Now I get to make some wont that be fun!!!! Ive been using a Dewey that's a fits all fits nothing on my 338 but they say one that fits right is on the way with the one for the AR10. One of the best I own is an all aluminum hand made job that came with my 6PPC, its an older Hall action rifle that has Selly Masker engraved on the guide and it locks in the action with the bolt release catch. I used one of the Nolan guides that my friend Jon let me try, and boy are they the best, he does a real good job on them. Thanks for all replies Mark

Thanks Dusty I went to the Benchrite site he has a lot of good stuff. I saved that one to my favorites.

Back