Bore cleaning, rimfire vs. CF

fishbone

I find it curious that .22 rimfire competitors avoid cleaning their bores for up to a whole season, where CF BR shooters clean multiple times during a match.
I'm sure both are correct for their application, but why is that?

Because one shoots a lead bullet just at or just under the speed of sound, the other shoots a copper jacketed bullet at 2.5x the speed of sound (or so).

I think that you'll find that the .22 rimfire competitors who compete at the highest level all clean their barrels after every shoot.

Club standard shooters probably wouldn't be able to see the benefit.
You might hear stories about the barrel requiring many rounds to recondition the bore - in my experience it's a myth.
After two or three rounds mine will group just fine but maybe I'm lucky...

I know people who clean there rimfires after ever 25 shot target. I know people who rarely clean there centerfire rifles. There are alot of opinions out there, how's that saying go?

Bore clean

Not that I am or have ever been interested in shooting a cartridge that I cannot reload but I have watched many rimfire matches. Seems down under the rimfire guys clean as regularly as the centrefire shooters. As quite a few of the centrefire shooters also shoot rimfire perhaps some of the cleaning phenomenon rubbed off on the rimfire people.
Andy.

It is a fact that the bullet lube the manufacturers put on lead rimfire bullets has a lot of influence on accuracy. As the old saw goes, rifles are individuals and have their preferences. One of my sporter-weight rimfire rifles showed a marked preference for Wolf Match Target ammo and usually gave me half-inch groups at 50 yards or better. I was surprised to learn that after firing several groups with the Wolf ammo, I could shoot much cheaper ammo and get similar groups until the Wolf lube was shot out of the bore...it seems that it usually took around 10 rounds or so for that to happen.

Anyway, I think this is one of the main reasons for not cleaning a rimfire rifle. For my part, I find it difficult to put a rifle back into the safe before cleaning. I don't mind firing 5 or 10 rounds for fouling the bore next time I shoot because shooting is FUN.

According to the Master, Karl Kenyon, pay attention to the first 2 " of the chanmer and be aware of the "gunk" ramp at the lead. After then push a couple of patches thru, and put it way untill next time. It should place the first shot 'dead on.

Chers

I find it curious that .22 rimfire competitors avoid cleaning their bores for up to a whole season, where CF BR shooters clean multiple times during a match.
I'm sure both are correct for their application, but why is that?

.22 competitors covers a lot of territory. If you're talking the most critical equipment as in BR .22's then most rarely go more than 1-2 targets without cleaning.

Back