Borden B or BR for HV Rifle?

I'm considering building a HV group gun to complement my primary LV group gun. I've zeroed in on a Borden because I like how my Left Bolt BRM cycles in my 17# 6BRA. While I understand the Borden BR has a shorter bolt throw, I'm leaning towards the B model because of the likelihood of more consistent ignition with the longer/heavier firing pin. Weight difference between the 2 actions is less than 2 oz.

I'd be interested in hearing feedback from the community in regards to these 2 Borden actions. Thanks!

Last edited:
HV Group Gun

Of the 2 actions you have narrowed it down to, I would pick the B for the reasons you already listed. Be aware that the B has 2 action screws, One mid and One towards the chamber with no screw in the tang area. Might make a difference to you with regards to glue in or screwed and glued.

But, for the sake of familiarity, the BRM can also be used to make 13.5# class. Using the BRM will more than likely limit your scope choices though.

Of the 2 actions you have narrowed it down to, I would pick the B for the reasons you already listed. Be aware that the B has 2 action screws, One mid and One towards the chamber with no screw in the tang area. Might make a difference to you with regards to glue in or screwed and glued.But, for the sake of familiarity, the BRM can also be used to make 13.5# class. Using the BRM will more than likely limit your scope choices though.

Thanks for the feedback. We're planning to glue this action. So would I be correct in thinking the Model B action screws would simply be eliminated?

I actually spoke to Jim Borden on Friday and he also mentioned the BRM as a HV candidate. But, as I want to preserve the option of using this action in a LV gun in the future, we agreed that intent eliminated the BRM as an option.

Last edited:
your

Thanks for the feedback. We're planning to glue this action. So would I be correct in thinking the Model B action screws would simply be eliminated?

I actually spoke to Jim Borden on Friday and he also mentioned the BRM as a HV candidate. But, as I want to preserve the option of using this action in a LV gun in the future, we agreed that intent eliminated the BRM as an option.

stocker could glue in then provide for the action screws to just barely tighten as a safety should the glue in ever fail. I have seen that done but you can't torque the screws and flex the action.

Of the 2 actions you have narrowed it down to, I would pick the B for the reasons you already listed. Be aware that the B has 2 action screws, One mid and One towards the chamber with no screw in the tang area. Might make a difference to you with regards to glue in or screwed and glued.

But, for the sake of familiarity, the BRM can also be used to make 13.5# class. Using the BRM will more than likely limit your scope choices though.

I own four Borden B actions - all, including the newest one, are "traditional" two screw actions: receiver-ring, and tang screw-holes. What am I missing? :confused: If you're going to glue, I recommend that you pillar, screw, & glue.:eek:;) RG

Last edited:
I own four Borden B actions - all, including the newest one, are have "traditional" two screw actions: receiver-ring, and tang screw-holes. What am I missing? :confused: If you're going to glue, I recommend that you pillar, screw, & glue.:eek:;) RG

On March 21st 2018 I asked the following:

Good morning to the Borden crew,

Can you provide me with a picture of the bottom of a Model B action? I'd like to see how many action screws there are and where they are located.

This is the response I received:

James Borden <bordenrifles@gmail.com>

Mar 21, 2018, 11:37 AM

There are 2 screws. One in front under receiver ring and one about midway up action<END>

I could be wrong, but I thought the reason for the absence of a tang screw hole is lack of "real estate" resulting from the "Bobbed" action tang to save weight. BUT, it sure is interesting that your model B has a tang screw hole and I stand corrected. I would not want to spread false information, so thank you for clearing that up Randy!

Last edited:
On March 21st 2018 I asked the following:

Good morning to the Borden crew,

Can you provide me with a picture of the bottom of a Model B action? I'd like to see how many action screws there are and where they are located.

This is the response I received:

James Borden <bordenrifles@gmail.com>

Mar 21, 2018, 11:37 AM

There are 2 screws. One in front under receiver ring and one about midway up action<END>

I could be wrong, but I thought the reason for the absence of a tang screw hole is lack of "real estate" resulting from the "Bobbed" action tang to save weight. BUT, it sure is interesting that your model B has a tang screw hole and I stand corrected. I would not want to spread false information, so thank you for clearing that up Randy!

I could be wrong too - model numbers are something I'm not good at!:eek: The serial numbers all begin, "B0xxx", therefore presume they are "B" actions. Perhaps this has changes in the last couple of months.:confused: I can say this - they have all proven excellent.:DRG

Jim made me a BRM action with an enlarge ejection port. Took some weight out while also allowing an unfired 6.5x47 Lapua to be removed unfired, without removing the bolt.

Bob

Oooops - I stand corrected! Need to halt my misinformation!

I was incorrect regarding my Borden Rimrock actions: they are BR, not B. :eek: I was incorrectly supposing that the serial #s, beginning with B, identified the model.:eek: The model (BR) is clearly and largely "engraved" on the right side of the receiver-ring, following Rimrock, as in, Rimrock BR. My apology for confusing the topic. RG

Back