Bib 108's in a dasher.

Larry M

Bib 108's in a dasher?

I have some questions for anyone shooting this combination or similar cartridge with these bullets. It has an 8 twist 28" barrel. I just got a batch and almost ready to start testing. What seating depth and velocity is working for you with these bullets? I know each rifle is different and I will have to do some work I'm just looking for a a starting point and a range within witch to work in hope of saving some time and barrel life.
Thanks.
Larry

Last edited:
I am using CCI 450s, REL15 running 2950. Seating Depth is .006" Jam. Dasher with a Krieger 8" Twist, .236" Bore and a 31" Finish length. It will shoot.

Seems to me that i was told the only way to successfully shoot 108 bibs in a dasher is to have a very long free bore. Something around .180 and not the normal .104 I may be wrong about this but i am pretty sure i am not. Maybe someone else can chime in on the subject. Good luck. Randy sure makes some fine bullets!! Lee

The .104” FB will work fine. I think that all of the FB numbers being thrown around are way overrated. Originally My Dasher with a .104” FB using the 108 BIB seated .006” Jam had an OAL of 2.835” using a comparator. Today after approx. 600 rounds down the tube the number is 2.926”! That is .091” of erosion.
IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Hey Larry, we missed ya this winter. I shot them all winter in an 8 twist Bartlein, and I like them a lot. I jumped them a touch for a while, but ended up with more consistency when into the lands just a few thousandths. Anyhow, I shot them with Varget and Re15 in my BRX running just shy of 3000.

Hey Larry, we missed ya this winter. I shot them all winter in an 8 twist Bartlein, and I like them a lot. I jumped them a touch for a while, but ended up with more consistency when into the lands just a few thousandths. Anyhow, I shot them with Varget and Re15 in my BRX running just shy of 3000.

Hal, what would you speculate the 108 would do in a 6BR velocity wise, say 28" bbl, better than 2800?

The .104” FB will work fine. I think that all of the FB numbers being thrown around are way overrated. Originally My Dasher with a .104” FB using the 108 BIB seated .006” Jam had an OAL of 2.835” using a comparator. Today after approx. 600 rounds down the tube the number is 2.926”! That is .091” of erosion.
IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Baron, nice group! :)

The pic is worth the proverbial 1,000 words! I agree, sans a 'donut', freebore IS highly over-rated.

I have shot 121 Gr. FB (6mm) bullets via my Broughton (6mm DASHER) barrel, which is 'throated' to position the base of a 108 Gr. FB bullet right at the [outside] neck/shoulder junction - this places the base of the 121 FB somewhat below the case-body/shoulder junction - with that set-up, and a case FULL of (very compressed) IMR 4007, this barrel, in local point-blank BR events, at both 100 and 200 yd., has proven competitive with the 6PPCs.:eek::D
Oh, I'm straying . . . how could a DASHER case have a donut? For the interested, the IMR 4007 produced MVs in the low 2800s of FPS - this via a 24" barrel, on my old Borden trued Time-Precision ALV actioned 13.5 LB. (HV) rifle. RG

P.S. NO, I will not make any more of the 121s . . . or, the 116s either - those are "just for me.":p

Thanks everybody. I'm gonna get to work on this soon.

Hal I set this up last year at tax time but never got the Berg. VLD's working. SOOO I'm gonna take another crack at it sell the Bergs. Whats your opinion on the freebore issue for these bullets?

I was setup for Berg. VLD's but the tail still resided in the case. By my measurements from the point on the ogive where the bullet is .243 as measured by a Stoney Point comparator to the base of the bullet is a few thou. longer on the Berger than on the Bib.

The Berger boat tail is much longer than the Bib. So while Bib's bearing surface is longer the base of the bullet will still be in relatively the same place.

If it shoots that is all I care about. To heck with where the tail is or capacity loss.

The other issue is getting the Lawton to eject the short cases. Worst case I'll need a new bolt with extractor and ejector in the proper places.

Larry

P.S. Randy popped in while i was typing. Thanks RG I got your mail and with any luck I'll get out this weekend and see what happens.

Last edited:
So it doesn't make a hoot that the BT of the bullet is below the shoulder neck junction? Very interesting. Its funny how so many say and believe a certain thing " that being the Bt needs to be at or above the shoulder neck junction" Only to find out it isnt. One thing is for sure though. if randy says it will work, then it will probably work. thanks fellas learned a little today. lee

I think to some it will matter. There are a lot of variables. If your setup is prone to doughnuts, Some neck tension issues, If capacity is important to you. The reason for going with the dasher in the first place was for the extra powder. But at this point getting it to shoot competitively with the least expenditure is my goal.

R.G.,
Thanks for the compliment. But I can only take credit for the equipment and the ammo. The Bullet credit is yours. My Girl Friend India Greene shot that group last year at Midwest Benchrest. Funny thing was that at lunch before Targets 3 & 4 got measured, she told me that the 3rd round went off while she was setting the rifle back up. She was not even looking through the scope when it went off. She said that she thought about quitting her string then. I told her to never quit and that the group was probably in the 1’s, which it was.
Skeet,
Bearing Surface/BT junction of the bullet being below the NK/Shoulder junction does not amount to Diddley Squat, unless you have a Donut or there is a case capacity issue. There is plenty of room in the Dasher Case and I don’t have Donuts. With the .104”FB it means that I can chase the lands a lot longer than anyone with a .130”FB.
Baron

108 bib

Larry, I use the Berger method of starting in the lands then 50,000 off then 90,000 then 120,000 off. Whichever one does best I then try it 20,000 in and out from there and so on according to how much fine tuning you have time for. Cary just sticks 108 Bergers in the lands and beats me most of the time, so pick your poison.

Bobby

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to shoot some this weekend.
:D:D:D:D

To quote Lee "doesn't make a hoot that the BT of the bullet is below the shoulder neck junction"

Not to me.

I coulda had this shooting a long time ago if I hadn't been so stubborn and trying to force the VLD's to work!

Couldn't get my chrono to read though still a little more to do yet but I got the egg cracked. Thanks again yall.
Larry

Back