Best Rest Top

N

nightsniper

What is the best rest top for 600yd and 1000yd competition benchrests?

I'm in the process of building my own base for a front benchrest top. I was wondering what is the best rest top for 600yd and 1000yd competitions in the light gun 17lb limit class.

I have narrowed my choices to two--the Sinclair Windage Benchrest Top and the Farley Coaxle Compact. (I have heard of some problems with the Farley Compact regarding weight issues.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

R.W Hart http://rwhart.com carries 3 and 6 inch tops made by Straightline Customs. I have one and it's awesome. Awesome machine work and works awesome. All aluminum so it's lightweight. Give it a try and you'll like it.

Good Luck, :D
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean "best" of the two candidates you've selected, right? I can't remember seeing either of them on the line, which might just mean I didn't *see* them. Neither would be close to "most used."

I do use a regular Farley rest for LG, and am quite happy with it. A friend has a Farley Coax Compact top, and had issues with it even for point-blank benchrest. He's a machinist; he rebuilt it, and is now more or less satisfied.

If you are going to shoot benchrest as opposed to F-class, you could just learn to squeeze the rear bag. This is as fast or faster than a Coax top. A number of the older shooters still do this; it was my preferred method until arthritis set in, and my hands started cramping. I'll refrain from commenting on why the younger, buy-whats-advertised generation never learned to squeeze the rear bag. Oh. I just did.

I can still shoot by squeezing the bag for a couple targets, & wouldn't hesitate to recommend that until you can observe, ON THE FIRING LINE, other tops. If you take your time before buying, likely you'll have an opportunity to try them.

FWIW

Back