Best Action

rkittine

What would be the best action for a .22 LR build for shooting 200 yard rimfire Benchrest?

Thanks, Bob

Actions:

Really have more to do with shooter preference in functionality than anything else if one thinks about it a bit. There are plenty of one lug Anschutz actions, for instance, that are competative. The best is what tickles one's preference bone.

Thanks for the comments. Looking at the list that the link went too, it is very telling.

I will probably stop over at The Shooters Corner and see what Bob has on the shelf.

Bob

fwiw - at our club we've been shooting 200yd rimfire benchrest for years, shooting at a MR-42 center. The top score for these matches is a 200-17X. One was shot with a Win 52, one with a custom rifle, two with a 40X, and I don't know what the other rifle was.

While a good rifle (and very consistent ammo) is essential, winning matches is usually decided by reading the wind and technique.

iow, at that range, a bazillion dollar top-of-the line custom rifle isn't going to mean diddly if the shooter can't read the (changing) wind conditions and doesn't have a solid technique.

That certainly makes sense and holds true for the 1,000 yard shooting I do. Of course if your rifle is not capable of really good accuracy, then no matter how good your shooting ability and technique is, you won't do well either. If I get a quality rifle built then the rest is on me.

It will be nice to buy ammo and work out which works best in a particular rifle compared to hours of brass prep and loading for my other Benchrest guns.

Bob

Bob, I can see you never had the joy of lot testing ammo only to have your preferred lot be all gone by the time you go to order it. The rimfire ammo selection process/experience will make you appreciate loading your own centerfire ammo more and more.

This is my best 5 shot group shot with a rebarreled Rem 40X.
B2619rp.jpg

Back