Best 6.5X scope currently available?

Pete Wass

I am currently interested in purchasing the best light, ( under 16 oz ) 6X target scope available. Any opinions out there anyone might be willing to share?

Thanks

Pete

Pete,
For a Sporter Scope a Burris HBR II is the best you will ever find for under 16 oz!
Actually they are close to 15 oz.
Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pete, I use a Burris Compact, and have also used a Burris 6X HBRII, both have seemed to serve me well. If you aren't in a hurry and watch E-Bay, they show up from time to time and are mostly reasonable.

Pete, If you would want a Burris 6 X , I have a HBR -II with the dot . It has Kelbby rings on it as new in the box. I had it on a sporter that I sold.

A friend has one of these and reports

I know some use the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40. Only problem is they also then replace the reticle. But it has a 30mm tube which helps.
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/mark-4-lr-t-4-5-14x40mm

There is also a Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x40 with 30mm tube and fine duplex reticle. It is just under 16oz.
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-6-5-20x40mm-side-focus

They both have side parallax which is nice.

that the elevation and windage adjustments are just a bit too gross. According to the specs it comes out to .280", so it is not easily possible to get a true zero @ 50 YDS. I have heard the same from another shooter. Guess long range folks are ok with that but smaller is better for point blank. I have heard of some being able to get .125" turrets installed and some who have been denied as well. Wonder why a maker wouldn't want to provide customers with what they want and need if they have it available???? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Pete

Last edited:
I know some use the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40. Only problem is they also then replace the reticle. But it has a 30mm tube which helps.
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/mark-4-lr-t-4-5-14x40mm

There is also a Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x40 with 30mm tube and fine duplex reticle. It is just under 16oz.
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-6-5-20x40mm-side-focus

They both have side parallax which is nice.

You're spending several hundered for a scope, is $50 for a reticle change a real deal breaker ?
While there, they also, without charge, change the center of focus to 50 yards. Ask any of the fairly high percentage of Burris owners that cannot get all the parralax out how important that is.

You're spending several hundered for a scope, is $50 for a reticle change a real deal breaker ?
While there, they also, without charge, change the center of focus to 50 yards. Ask any of the fairly high percentage of Burris owners that cannot get all the parralax out how important that is.

Certainly not a deal breaker for many of us, but for those on a budget or always penny pinching, it is a consideration. Just wanted to provide the facts, they can decide what they want to do.

Several Record holding Sporters for sale !

Food for thought ! Several have sold already this year and more are up for sale now (250/23X) ! One is up that is priced right @ $3500,(scopes are available extra), which is about the cost of a decent one ! If I wanted to own a top sporter rifle ,this is a no brainer if you want to be competitive !

Last edited:
Spot on

Mr. Casey is right. Great sporters out there because of scope power. Top shelf 6x scopes are out there to. Todd

Record holding sporters for sale

When those sporters won. They were not in the hands of a broker. When David Cook won the sporter nationals with Jim Peppers old Sporter He called me and told me how much he liked the gun. By the way Pepper won the 50/50 3 Gun Nationals with the same gun. When it came up for sale after Daves Passing. Several shooters told me the dam thing would no shoot, IT was messed with. If Greg Davis sporter was not messed with (I nave my doubts } It might still shoot.

Tired of the phone calls Byers be ware

Gordon, my sporter has never had anything changed and it shoots as good as ever. I have always said and thought I proved it was one of if not the best in the world, this I feel has never needed to be changed because I don't know how I could expect anything better. I just have not been shooting much or bought any new ammo for it since World shoot in 2011. Thanks for the great job you did on it for me.

Greg Davis

Wellll

I'll report on it after I have possession.

Pete

it has enormous potential. It's a Burris 4.5-14, 1" tube weighs less than a a pound. Nice glass in it, 1/8" clicks. The only potential issue I see is the reticle is a duplex range finder type and I can't seem to find someone reliable to change it. I take it the scope makers are tired of we benchrest folks so they have severely limited what they make for us.

I also found a nice 6.5-16 Burris with the fine crosshairs and small dot, just over a pound so I am going to give that a whack also. If either don't work I can use them in Silhouette shooting.

Pete

Back