best .22br 52grain powder ? survey

S

stevelong

Hello, new 22BR hart barrell, running 52 grain starke BR bullets, or gentners, or Bibs, for 200 yard matches, what is the absolute best consensus powder out there?
I first grabbed varget off the shelf because I have it, and it shot great both just off max load & also at max book load, Bib's 52 jammed. Shot 5 at 200 yards into 1/2" and then 5 more barely swelled the group any.
I don't have any benchmark, might need to get some, people say it's great also. I also have h-322, imr-4895 & rel-7 & ww-748.
Tell me your thoughts, I know each barrell is different, this is my first .22BR so I'm looking for the greatest % of users all liking the same powder.
Steve.

I have used N135 and N140 with very good results. The N140 has better case fill. I have shot the N140 to around 3800fps in my Rem 700 varmint rifle (26 inch Krieger 14 twist) with no pressure sign on the brass and only the light cratering on 205M primers that is usual for Remington's sloppy firing pin fit. This is not the max vel. that could be achieved even in the Rem. I have not chambered a 22BR barrel for any of my Farleys or BATs to test the case to it's fullest potential but it is very acurate in the Rem. With almost no load work-up it will shoot in the high 1's off the rest and around .200-.250 off the bipod.

Brian Moore

powder and load

I found a 52-grain Knight bullet with 30.5 grains of H322 to be 3720 FPS out of a 24-inch Krieger, 14-twist barrel. It's a varmint rifle with Remington action and round HS Precision stock. Aggs in the high 2s.

survey 22br powders

Thanks for the excellent responses, guys, I've got all of these except for the VV powders & Benchmark, so I'll grab those & begin testing.
Steve.

I have used alot of what the others have with all good sucess, also tried some Varget around the 32.5gr area and it shot very good also. I have lots of Varget since I use it in my 6BR, 22-250 and 308's. Good luck with a super fun cartridge.

Another great powder for the 22BR that is over looked a lot is IMR4320. It is small grained and gives great accuracy in my 22BR. Somewhere around 33.0gr. is close to max in my gun, but this is with the cheaper Remington brass. Lapua brass can run higher pressures.

Michael

Back