Bernoulli Effect

Frey #4 post- Not Jim Frey once in Toledo by chance?? I see-frey is just shortened Jeffrey, most likely.

Since your bullets dont behave in the 'normal' manner perhaps your barrel has a Left twist??

Frey #4 post- Not Jim Frey once in Toledo by chance?? I see-frey is just shortened Jeffrey, most likely.

Correct. frey is just shortened from Jeffrey.

But I did grow up in Sylvania, a suburb on the west side of Toledo.
Moved to NC in 1986.

Hunted Squirrel couple times on a woods that bordered the Synvania Country Club. Very large oaks with a small stream that was loaded with wood ducks on one occasion.

Got stuck in a farmers field where potatoes had been dug. Had to get the road commission grader to come back and pull me out. Was about 1/2 mi off the road. Only had to move me 4' and I was out.

I use the Pasta fagoili effect ...point and shoot .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir: The fluid dynamic associated with this effect is that air passing over a lifting surface produces lift. In BR [even rim fire BR] a wind from the left when combined with the bullet rotation provides lift to the bullet causing a deflection to the right[due to the wind from the left] but also a slight lift[up]to the POI. In summary: A wind from the left deflects the bullet to the right and slightly up while a wind from the right deflects the bullet to the left and slightly down. Knowing about this affect one can tighten groups if one can properly read the wind. BE WELL....V/r mk

I believe this is true for a left-hand twist barrel.

It might just be a case of where I'm located (SE USA), but
the wind from the right (L<--R)) usually pushes the bullet up and left, and
the wind from the left (L-->R) usually pushes the bullet down and right.

I believe this is true for a right-hand twist barrel.

Since your bullets dont behave in the 'normal' manner perhaps your barrel has a Left twist??

His bullets behave exactly the way they are supposed to, left to right wind pushes the bullet right and down a right to left wind pushes the bullet left and up.That is with a right hand twist barrel.

Don't bring it over onto the centerfire board :) cuz yer ALL wrong! (Except the guys who got the left/up and right/down sorted out. Bullets are pushed left/up and right/down when using a rh twist)

The up/down effect is driven by drag caused by the wind trying to tip the bullet over, producing a gyroscopic force called precession which causes the bullet to tip a little and stabilize at an angle called "equilibrium yaw" or the yaw of repose........... which in turn produces a lift force at 90 degrees ahead (up rotation) of the wind force. This runon sentence is severely short-cutted and incomplete, but it's still YAW that produces the imbalance of pressure that drags bullets up or down.

This is the same combination of forces that produces spindrift in still air.

And my explanation disagrees with every other source you'll find on the web!!

LOL

al

Don't bring it over onto the centerfire board :) cuz yer ALL wrong! (Except the guys who got the left/up and right/down sorted out. Bullets are pushed left/up and right/down when using a rh twist)

The up/down effect is driven by drag caused by the wind trying to tip the bullet over, producing a gyroscopic force called precession which causes the bullet to tip a little and stabilize at an angle called "equilibrium yaw" or the yaw of repose........... which in turn produces a lift force at 90 degrees ahead (up rotation) of the wind force. This runon sentence is severely short-cutted and incomplete, but it's still YAW that produces the imbalance of pressure that drags bullets up or down.

This is the same combination of forces that produces spindrift in still air.

And my explanation disagrees with every other source you'll find on the web!!

LOL

al

Al,
Did you see Jayden Quinlan's explanation of wind deflection in Precision Shooting August 2011? Good for a rant ... or a laugh.;)

Cheers,
Keith

Al,
Did you see Jayden Quinlan's explanation of wind deflection in Precision Shooting August 2011? Good for a rant ... or a laugh.;)

Cheers,
Keith

Ohhh JEEEpers don't get me started on this guy!!!! ("I'm gonna' revise current ballistic theory"..... and rewrite the laws of physics....)

OR The Rupprecht_Nennstiel "How bullets fly"goofers......

gives me gas

al

alinwa,
as I'm not in the habit of spreading misinformation, please enlighten us. Does the link I posted contain errors/mistakes?
Not being confrontational, just a polite response.
Take care sir,
warren russell westphal jr.

alinwa,
as I'm not in the habit of spreading misinformation, please enlighten us. Does the link I posted contain errors/mistakes?
Not being confrontational, just a polite response.
Take care sir,
warren russell westphal jr.

Hey Warren,

all I ask is that you carefully read some real ballistics texts like McCoy or Vaughn. They disagree with "How Bullets Fly. You don't even have to labor through the math (which is only as good as it's application ;) ) just gain an understanding of how a bullet "balances" on the airstream. In short, a bullet MUST maintain it's attitude re the resistance it 'feels' else it will tip over, tumble. It MUST turn it's nose into the wind, it MUST nose over in it's trajectory. A bullet can only react to what it feels. Ruprecht doesn't get this. Nor do most other wannabe ballisticians.

A lot of the R-N stuff would apply on the moon but it's not applicable in atmosphere.

Merry Christmas!

al

Al, appreciate your response, and hope you had a great holiday as well.
I'm not a professional or amateur anything, just a guy who tinkers on guns and shoots a bit. That said, I have seen .22 rounds that fly in a helix to the bull, I've seen over- stabilized and under-stabilized rounds on the target, and the wonderfull effect on your view of the target when the guy next to ya is popping off a Barrett 50 cal.
Blurrrrr ;)
Take care sir,
warren

Back