Berger Hybrid 215 and 300WSM

B

blacktornado

I use a 300 WSM with 30" Krieger barrel . I use H4350 and Berger 210VLD with great result. What do you think to use Hybrid 215 for 600 and 1000 yards ? Results??

I have two 50ct. boxes haven't had a chance to try them. What twist do you have with the Krieger. I want to try my 300 wsm at 600, never tryed it. Always shot 6.5. I Know a couple guys that shot the 215 at 1000 and had good luck, but I really like the way the 210 cluster. So its the time factor with me. This year I'm going to take the time and try more of my 300wsms with different bullets.OH don't be afraid to back them of the lands.

Joe Salt

Twist is 1:10. Actually I stay 0.010 off lands with Berger 210VLD. The reason why I'm asking if someone did some test is that before trying to get them in Italy( very difficult) it is better to hear other experiences.

blacktornado let me say this, some may disagree but if you're getting vertical back them off, I'm 105 thou. off a jam with both my 300 wsms. my agg. for 6 matches was 5.8 inches. so thats how I can back that statement up. I happen to find another 1000 of the same lot# of the 210's and again they were all on the money. so big hopes for this year.

Joe Salt

Joe, but 105 thousand means 2,6 mm and it is a lot. I take 0,010 that means 0,25 mm back off lands even if VLD bullets are mainly jammed. Furthermore I use Lapua cases CCI BR2 or RWS primers and 61,2 of H4350. What do you think?

blacktornado also try Fed. 210 and 215 primers with the H-4350, I'm running a little hotter with mine but it sounds OK. Also go to the Burger web sight and read what they say about backing the bullet off the lands.

Joe Salt

Black Tornado -- a thought...

Since you say it is very hard to get bullets in Italy, maybe wait until there is a bit more use of the 215 hybrid in the States before making the effort? More time to evaluate?

As far as bullet design goes, the hybrid is intended to have some of the features of the VLDs with the bullet seating forgiveness of a tangent ogive.

But seating "forgiveness" isn't the only important consideration. As someone who gave up on the VLD designs years ago -- manufacturing consistency in the bullet nose -- I'd recommend the Berger 210 Match BT Long Range (Berger catalog number 30419). It has a BC of .626 (G-1), and if I recall correctly, an 11-caliber tangent ogive (might be 10 caliber tangent ogive).

I (& more importantly, some record setters) have been shooting a 10-caliber tangent ogive bullets with our big .30s for years -- the 187 BIBs. The 210 Berget BT should be an excellent alternative to the 210 VLD, and rather more tunable. The B.C. is only .005 less than the 210 VLD -- insignificant. It is true that the 215 hybrid has a signifiantly higher B.C. than the 210 VLD, but all that is of no use if it isn't as accurate in your rifle.

I would also play with different strength primers -- after 15 years of shooting long range, I finally figured out that different barrels prefer different primers, even with the same bullet & powder. (I'm a slow learner.) For me, that has shown up in changes of overall group size, esp. vertical. I normally use 210s, but have had barrels that prefer the 215s as Joe mentioned, but also the very mild russian primers. Go figure.

To a lesser extent, the same with different powders -- individual barrels may have a preference.

Good luck,

Last edited:
blacktornado I think once you get a bullet that is working in one rifle, you should stick with it like I have or like Charles with the BiBs. When I first sarted using the VLDs, I was told by a Highly respected gun smith you had to put VLDs into the lands. But I could never get them to shoot like I do now. So you're going to have to figure out what work best for you, sometimes it may be off the wall, but what the hay, try it you might like it! The best thing I can tell you is at 1000 yards I look for the bullets to cluster, double or triple shots in one hole. And again try Fed 210 and 215.

Joe Salt

Joe and Charles, thank you so much for your help. What I'm trying to say is I'm happy with the result of my rifle that is a summary of a long reading on this forum.I'm coming from short range Bench Rest where I did quite well here in Italy but since last year my interest is in long distance. It took one year to get parts like Bat action and Krieger barrel from USA but I've finally my rifle. The reamer is a JGS specifically made for Berger 210 VLD. I didn't take part to any match yet.I will start on May. Our ranges are limited to 300 metres where I can stay between 0,15 to 0,20 MOA . Matches at long distances (600 and 1000 yards) are held on mountains and you can't train before because they are open only for match. That's why I'm trying to get more suggestions in order to improuve because I don't know exactly where I'm compared to others. I will make the test of Federal primers and backing off the bullet as explained in the Berger website and I will try to get Berger 210 LR bullets. As far as Hybrid bullets are concerned I will wait more feedback. Thanks .
Gianfranco

Back