Benchmark & H335

Rflshootr

I'm wanting to load the 6BR with 70 grainers with H335. I have data for Benchmark but not H335. According to Hodgdon, H335 is the next slowest powder under Benchmark on the burn rate list. Can I use the Benchmark data?

I've looked at that data probably 50 times and never had it click in that it was there. But sho'nuf there it is. Thanks for the extra eyes.

I'm wanting to load the 6BR with 70 grainers with H335. I have data for Benchmark but not H335. According to Hodgdon, H335 is the next slowest powder under Benchmark on the burn rate list. Can I use the Benchmark data?

Try H4895 or N135. IMO a better choice.

Benchmark

29.7 grain is the starting load and 31.6 grains is the max by tha ADI manual for Benchmark and a 70 grain projectile

Steve

3031 has worked well for me in a few medium sized case like the 308, 7-08 and 243 for lighter weight bullets. Looking at the velocities in the data I found for the 6BR, which isn't much, it gives up a little speed, but if the accuracy is there, I'm willing to give up the 100fps. Nosler lists 3031 as the most accurate powder tested for their 80 BT so I figure it may be worth trying. Sometimes things surprise you and sometimes they don't. Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug sorta thing.
Jackie, what would your choices for powder be with a 70? So far I've run some BL-C2 (sucked), H4895 (not much better) 8208 (pretty good) and Varget (a smidge better then 8208). I was trying to stick with powders I have on hand.
I picked some things to try somewhere near the same burn rate as what I have read that others have had luck with. But with Murphy hanging around, one never has the recommended pick. :rolleyes:
I've even considered trying some IMR4064 but I haven't found any data for it yet. I don't know if it would be safe to use N135 data as a starting point or not. According to Hodgdon's chart, IMR 4064 is about 4 steps slower then N135. I'm also going to try IMR4320 which is right under Varget.
This is one of those times that I wish I plunked down the dollars for the Quickload program.
I'm trying to find that God forsaken problem that everyone seems to have of each bullet always hitting the back of the last bullet. Not sure if it will ever happen.:D

Last edited:
Back