Bench Rest purchase help!

J

jonas111

I've been reading on this forum for a while now and gaining some good knowledge. I decided to join today and ask for a little assistance in getting a front rest.

Ive been looking at the Caldwell Rock BR and the feedback is they are too high and might not want one because of there lower quality.

My question is what rest would be good for my purposes of being as accurate as I can with my new 6.5 - 284. I don't want to spend a fortune on a front rest and would love to find a used one at a fair price.

Thanks in advance.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a front rest

Try lookin in the classifieds for a used Hart front rest with a windage top and a speed screw. The Hart rest should fill the bill. :cool:

I feel the top is much more important than the base. I also use a Caldwell BR base, but had a custom windage top built. The Caldwell is high, but I balance that out with a taller rear bag made by Protektor (I think they call it the Bumble bee Dr bag). I like the idea of a bigger rear bag (even though there are certian drawbacks to a large rear bag). I have been pretty successful with this set up. It's more about what you like, and what makes you feel comfortable. There are most certianly better set ups, and I am no way saying my way is the best. It just so happens to work for me. Here is a picture of Dad using my set up.

dad_bench.jpg

Last edited:
I know the Caldwell is a little tall, but you can use a taller rear bag or as I have done mill 1/2" off the bottom of the base. I don't like their top either.
Butch

I too have the Caldwell Rock Br rest and couldn't be happier with it. I did build a 3/4" spacer for under the rear bag. I know it isn't up to the standards of some of the rests out there, but overall I am very satisifed with it. As a p.s. - I didn't care for the green, so I took it apart and repainted it. When people don't know its a Caldwell, suddenly it loses the "stigma".

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I think for now I might just buy the Rock BR and see how it treats me. Some of the other rests are well over $500 and not sure I am that good yet to spend that kind of cash. Maybe I will do what P1Zombiekiller did and customize the windage in the future.

What classifieds are best to find someones used rest?

There is nothing wrong with the caldwell base. In fact the top is not too bad just a bit crude. Get one and when you can afford it get one of Butch's coaxial tops for it. Then you will be " uptown".

Donald

Donald, I agree the base is just fine for most shootings. I modified mine and added a windage adjustment by using the original top.
NOV010.jpg

Not really... it's only a 1.250" taller than stock and I can easly remove a .5" from top top mount and lower the feet if necessary.

Use a Farley coaxial before thinking of anything else. My Farley is my favorite possession.

I agree with maccluer. After trying one. I saved to buy one. They are great.
And I was more in the game this year. 2nd yr. NBRSA Group. 5 trophies.
Tim B.

If you aren't going to shoot any competitions that outlaw one piece rests, why not get one of those and save yourself some recoil? The Caldwell Led Sled is a decent rest once you remove the factory legs and replace them with carriage bolts and wing nuts so you can level the unit.

Goodgrouper,

Pardon me if I'm missing something here, but are you advocating that a person actually SHOOT off the sled as it's designed? Like let the gun drag the sled around and stuff?

IF SO...... I must disagree strongly. The Caldwell lead sled, used as it's designed to be used, does not allow the rifle to reach its full potential.

in my opinion

al

If you're going to be using a rifle in free recoil mode or with a very light touch, you wouldn't want to use a one piece rest with it. But if you are using a rifle that will be intended to be fired from your shoulder like hunting rifle or varmint rifle, these rests work fine. Actually, I've even put my rifles that I shoot free recoil into one of these type rests and they still shot fine but I did have to change the POI.

Fact of the matter is these types of rests actually keep the resistance more consistent than most people can with their shoulders day to day. Just my observation from using one for target work and long range hunting for the last decade.;)

Yeahh well, "most people" have no business taking any shot at any game other than varmints further than 350yds. And ANYone who can shoot ANYthing better from the sled than from the shoulder should stay well inside this range.

IMO

al

I used the Coldwell rock front rest with a Ron Hoen top for a couple of years. The slingshot design of the rock rest makes it very easy to move the rear leg if you are not careful. This is from my experience with it. Russell m

Back