Belted Mag set back

This is sort of getting to be a "Wilbur" issue. Wilbur doesn't allow trashing vendors, including gunsmiths, on BR Central, even if they seem to deserve it. Usually the thread only gives one side of a story, and someone's livelihood can be involved, that sort of thing.

In any case, however you feel about it, it's Wilbur's "House Rule."

BTW, there is already enough information in the thread to allow many people to guess the name...

I'm surprised the thread has lasted as long as it has. I keep expecting it to disappear off the board.

Guess? Figure it out? Not any more! There are also so many things wrong with the "assessment" that the thread should disappear just because it's rife with bad information coupled with bad judgments. There may have been a problem with the chamber, we'll never know, but a lot of the the assertions posted here are flawed.

Someone please give me a logical mechanism for an "oversized" 300WM chamber to hang onto those tapered cases? (Ohhh, he said EJECT cases....)

And someone please 'splain to me how to re-index a 300WM back and prove runout....with a "long reach indicator???"

That's the thing is that unless you know how the barrel was indicated in when the barrel was originally chambered and even if you did, it's going to be extremely difficult to get the barrel set back up in the lathe exacty as it was when it was chambered originally even if done by the same person and obtain the same chamber run outs as the barrel had when it was originally chambered.

And 30thou of "thread flop" and "13 shots and 60 patches before it quit fouling" and "galling on the land"

That's the question I had as well, .030" of thread flop measured where?

And how a tight chamber raises pressure??? (OOOPS, it's an "oversized chamber" ain't it?)

And how chips "break the lands off"

I've never seen that either. Most of the chips push out the back of the reamer even when not using a chamber flush system. I haven't seen them pushed forward. I have seen too tight a pilot leave marks on the bore where it was running in front of the throat.

And "Quikload sez"....

Lotta sad stuff going on here but it ain't all one-sided.

IMO

al

The remarks in bold were added by me to Al's comments.

I'm glad that someone was able to fix the problem for you. I've known the man who chambered the barrel originally for a long time ever since I've been shooting benchrest. He's been building rifles a long time. Whatever caused the problem, it was a problem and glad that you were able to get it fixed. I do believe that the problem should have been handled between you and him even if it meant sending the rifle back to him for him to check out the problem in person. I also understand your reluctance to do that. I've fixed problem rifles before that were done by other gunsmiths and no one likes doing that especially the customer as you wind up paying twice.

I'm surprised the thread has lasted as long as it has. I keep expecting it to disappear off the board.

Mike, I don't know if you're aware of this, but there are no moderators anymore, aside from Wilbur and Elmer. They can't be expected to read everything -- they never could.

For everyone, what that means is if you really think a thread is getting out of line, email Wilbur (in other words, privately) and point the thread out to him.

For example, lately the "Groups" folder (community > groups) had been taken over by spammers -- spam was all you got if you used the "What's New?" pull down. I did email Wilbur, and apparently he agreed, as they are now gone -- at least, temporarily...

I hadn't been on here as much as I had in the past as I've had a lot of rifles to get built as I'm trying to close out the work in my shop. Other things I want to do than build rifles, such as shoot them more in matches. Hard to shoot more matches when people are waiting on their rifles. Anyway, was unaware that there weren't moderators any longer.

The remarks in bold were added by me to Al's comments.

I'm glad that someone was able to fix the problem for you. I've known the man who chambered the barrel originally for a long time ever since I've been shooting benchrest. He's been building rifles a long time. Whatever caused the problem, it was a problem and glad that you were able to get it fixed. I do believe that the problem should have been handled between you and him even if it meant sending the rifle back to him for him to check out the problem in person. I also understand your reluctance to do that. I've fixed problem rifles before that were done by other gunsmiths and no one likes doing that especially the customer as you wind up paying twice.

It was unmistakable by your first post that you were friends with him. Trust me, he told me several times how long he'd been building guns and how many records he had. I tried to go through him twice to fix the issue but was met with a bunch of cussing, yelling, blaming me for hot loads, and threatening to charge me again if he touched it. Not the kind of customer service I expected. EVERYBODY makes mistakes, but it's how you react to those mistakes that make you a true professional. I came on here simply asking questions from people that are knowledgeable, and I really appreciate those that were trying to help, but it seemed when the answer came out, the thread needed to be deleted. Yall enjoy your forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was unmistakable by your first post that you were friends with him. Trust me, he told me several times how long he'd been building guns and how many records he had. I tried to go through him twice to fix the issue but was met with a bunch of cussing, yelling, blaming me for hot loads, and threatening to charge me again if he touched it. Not the kind of customer service I expected. EVERYBODY makes mistakes, but it's how you react to those mistakes that make you a true professional. I came on here simply asking questions from people that are knowledgeable, and I really appreciate those that were trying to help, but it seemed when the answer came out, the thread needed to be deleted. Yall enjoy your forum.

That's why I said I understand your reluctance to have him correct the problem. I can understand what you went through dealing with it. I spend most of this afternoon fixing a groove in a chamber that had been chambered by someone else. I believe the groove in his barrel was caused by a piece of swarf getting caught on a flute when the chamber was reamed. I'd set the barrel back .060 and run the reamer in the corresponding amount, After I had set the barrel back about a 1/4" the groove in the chamber finally cleaned up. I could have threaded and chambered a new barrel in the length of time it took to clean up the groove. Things happen. Some gunsmiths deal with problems better than others. The good thing is that you have it fixed and it's working for you now.

Back