Beggs 'ultralite' rimfire stock

Joe,

I fully agree with your reasoning, but fee that it doesn't convey the mood, the downhome theme, developed over these years of discussion.

I'd vote for an honestly descriptive COYOTE UGLY.

John

Gene:

I don't care how "butt ugly" or "coyote ugly" it is, if it works I want at least one of them.. Are they going to be made for Win. 52's, Suhl's and Remingon 40X's..????

Let me know when they go up for sale..

Dave

Personally I like the looks of the stock and hope to purchase one when they come available. Kins of looks like the "Terminator" version of a rifle. Keep us posted on when they will be up for sale.

'TERMINATOR seems to fit perfect!

Personally I like the looks of the stock and hope to purchase one when they come available. Kins of looks like the "Terminator" version of a rifle. Keep us posted on when they will be up for sale.

'Terminator -would make a nice line of rifles, T1, T2, T3,... T10

beggs2x900.jpg

After looking at this pic for a few minutes - I see something. Not to disparage the excellent front rest but this rifle needs its own purpose built front rest. There seems to be a lot "going on" to clamp the "stock" to the rest. Mr Beggs front mount is clamped directly to the barrel. I think this is something new and you now have a totally new way to re-engineer the top of the rest mount.

A front rest built from the same materials as the stock would be awesome. I know there are guys that read this page could come up with something a lot "cleaner". The rifle is now "A to B". A front rest that would be more "A to B" would be more proper for Mr. Beggs "creation".

This rifle in rimfire with a front rest that uses the barrel mount as the top plate would be extremely clean. Mr. Joe i saw the article on you very nice Rimfire Pieces - saw those perfect scores to. Maybe you could commission a "tubular" front rest for your new Beggs Terminator. I know your going to have to have one, lol!!.... I'm just thinking out loud: joe:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sole rights

Gene:
Is this something anyone can build, and can build their own version, or are you the sole suppliers/builder?

Wouldn't putting a pressure point on the barrel in that manner cause the barrel to be effectively shortened. I mean seems we've went a long way to evolve to longer barrels with tuners and then this seems to shorten the barrel and make it stiffer and thus harder to tune. Well, maybe not harder, but more weight would be required.

I guess I'm a bit skeptical, but what do I know. It looks like it might have the disadvantage of a two piece stock. None of them are great but can be good. For instance I have a Ruger #1V , some 30/30's and a Martini MKIII. The Martini is a pretty good shooter but not great, and I always thought the two piece stock using the action as part of the stock was part of the problem. I guess all would depend on the stiffness of the action. But the MKIII is pretty stout. I'll try to keep an open mind and watch for results. Time will tell. Rich

Slightly off topic, please indulge me... Aluminum Stocks

Good thing: I have a fairly large number of juniors shooting 3Position Smallbore and Prone Smallbore.
Good thing: We have / own about a dozen Rem 40x's with sights (ft and rear).
Bad thing: Rem 40x's are way too heavy (I have both Standard Barrel as well as some Bull Barrels) for 99% of my kids.
Question: Could an aluminum stock (with a pistol grip and hand stop rail) be produced to transform the 40x barreled actions into a more favorable Smallbore 3P / Prone gun for juniors?
Question: can it be done and kept to an amount that the kids / families could afford?
I really like the direction that Mr Beggs has taken and think it bares serious consideration for our needs...

Roy McClain
(404) 227-2272 cell
Spalding Co Shooting Sports
www.olemillrange.org

Attachments

• Savage.jpg
    Savage.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 309
  • Rem40x1.jpg
    Rem40x1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 296
I do feel a little out of place commenting with you guys, i'm new to whats going on here at BC. I'm 60 years old so i do feel i get a little leeway. I like "walnut" but i probably like function over wood when it comes to "contest".

It seems to me Mr Beggs has removed some variables from "point A to point B" with his new design.

From his original post in this thread:
<snip>"The only one I can think of is the lines are not very attractive; it's all business and strictly functional"<snip>

If there ever is a Beggs vs Calfee shootout i think a proper name for the Beggs contest rifle could be "STRICTLY BUSINESS" -not my name but his from the above quote. The rifle and design does look like, nothing personal just "strictly business".
thanks for letting me sit in the middle of some great Bench Rest minds, joe

"Strictly Business" I love it! That's what we'll call it. :D

Later,

Gene Beggs

I Like It!

Gene

If "Strictly Business" can be made to fit a Cooper LVT .22 LR (untapered barrel diameter 0.775"), please put me on the list to purchase one. I think you've hit on a superior design.

Oh yes, Merry Christmas!

Aluminum stocks

Mike Ross at http://www.rossprecision.com/products_rifle.htm produces a great alum. stock & rifle.

He was kind enough to avail me a rough stock block from his trash pile, to which I've put a barrel/action. I shot it at several ARA matches last season - it needs a lot of fine tuning and maybe a different barrel, but has potential.
Dennis Reineke

barrel clamp

No, but I guess I could play with that. (actually, I have to remove the scope to get to the screws of the barrel clamp - a bit impractical to adjust much).

Last season, every time I could get to the range for practice, the wind was too much to tune correctly - best I could do was second guess it and that was never good enough. I'm tuning with Hoehn tuner & mid-barrel dampner.

I'll see if I can post a photo of my toy.

We need a 50-yard indoor range in the midwest !!!

Apology to Gene Beggs

Mr. Beggs, I apologize for seeming to steal this post. I intended to just point out that Mike Ross has been successfully producing Aluminum stocks for a number of years, for prone shooting. I am very pleased to see someone else producing alternative materials and designs for benchrest.

Have you tried shooting your Beggs' stock in a one-piece rest yet?
Tell us more about tuning your stock/action/barrel, it might help me with mine.

I did try my action/barrel in a Stith wood stock first, but it didn't fit my one-piece rest very well. Then I opted to experiment with the Ross stock & barrel-clamp designs -- am still playing with it.

Gene, can you feel any constriction when slugging the barrel in the area of the forend clamp? "Kathy" cautioned against tightening muzzle devices too tight for fear of squishing the bore.

Johan

Mr. Beggs, I apologize for seeming to steal this post. I intended to just point out that Mike Ross has been successfully producing Aluminum stocks for a number of years, for prone shooting. I am very pleased to see someone else producing alternative materials and designs for benchrest.

Have you tried shooting your Beggs' stock in a one-piece rest yet?
Tell us more about tuning your stock/action/barrel, it might help me with mine.

No, I have not tried the 'Ultralite' in a one-piece rest. I much prefer a Farley CoAx and a conventional Protektor rear bag.

No 'tuning' of the stock is necessary other than positioning the forend so the rifle balances well. That is just a feel thing. What I do after the barrel is chambered and the tuner installed is find the balance point of the barrel with it out of the receiver. Once I find where the barrel balances, I mark this spot and turn the flat for the forend attachment. I have never found a case in which this did not work perfectly.

Gene Beggs

Gene, can you feel any constriction when slugging the barrel in the area of the forend clamp? "Kathy" cautioned against tightening muzzle devices too tight for fear of squishing the bore.
Beggs quote, "Once the forend of the Beggs 'Ultralite' stock is bolted in place on the barrel, you can't even get a patch thru the constriction let alone a slug. :eek: The bullets emerge from the barrel swaged down to around seventeen caliber, muzzle velocity is increased to over 4000 fps and wind drift is completely eliminated. It works somewhat like the full choke on a shotgun." :p ;) :D

Yeah, I'm being a wise guy; sorry, just could not resist an opportunity to poke fun at this myth. :D We gotta' have fun sometime; right? ;)

Later,

Gene Beggs

Back