Beggining to set-up for serious BR.

D

Dwight C

Interested in the new Sinclair HV BR, with windage and BR top, just under $400.00.

Is there a better rest out there for the money?
Is it quality enough to get serious with?

I have a LV TM1000 in a BR stock in the making at this time.

I already have an unlimited Tm1000,.22 / 28fpe.

Also, an RAW XP Pro .22 / 28fpe.

All my equip. is old and very basic. I have never been a serious BR shooter, but intend to be.

I have done all the leg work / research, am familiar with most of the popular accessories. But, not sure about the best choices to spend wisely. Money is an issue, but can buy what I want / need.

Experienced advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwight

Hi Dwight, the most important thing is the accuracy of your rifle and certainly doesn't sound like you have basic equipment there, the Rapid Air Weapons are great rifles.

Next is a decent bench rest scope, a Weaver T36 is a good place to start and plenty for sale on the classifieds.

I cant comment on the rest you have proposed as I dont know of it, I have a Seb rest and that is great.

Make sure you dont make the mistake that most of us make which is buy some kit at a price and then upgrading it a few months later.

All the best with air rifle bench rest its great fun and very addictive.

Tony

Dwight,
I've heard good things about the Greenlaw rests but haven't seen one in person. Off the top of my head I can't really think of another good rest in your price range. One thing you'll have to confirm before buying the Sinclair is that it has enough windage adjustment to go from one side of the WRABF target to the other without repositioning either your rear bag or the front rest. The older Sinclairs would not. I'm in the market for a cheap rest to use for a loaner at our club and recently tried out a Caldwell Fire Control joystick rest that a member has for sale. It also won't traverse an entire target at 25m. At least with the Greenlaw you have Steve's input that it will work.

Tony's recommendation on the Weaver T-36 scope is a great one. If you can find an older Sightron S-II 36X they are very nice also and about the same price as a used T-36. I have both.

You'll need a good set of wind flags too. Check the Classifieds on this site. I use the Wicks style dual vane flags because they are easier to read quartering winds with, something I've found even more critical with air rifles than when I shot rimfire. There are plenty of other good choices on there as well. You might want to get at least one wind probe, too. I sold both of mine at the Worlds and I REALLY missed them at todays match at Pinnacle Mtn in NH.

Lot's of little stuff you'll need too. Timer, small level for both your rest and the target, good rear bag filled with heavy sand (Sinclair carries the sand), an elbow pad of some sort, basic tool kit, etc.
Hope this helps,
Todd

Greenlaw rests

I have the A style rest by D.R. Greenlaw and am very happy with it. A good buy for the money. Others in my club use it also.

http://drgreenlawmachining.com/_a__style_rest

Steve W.

Steve,

Thank you, very impressive rests for that price, relative to all the others I've seen online.
I have put the A-type at the top of my list for now.
My specific BR rifle is still about 6 wks out.

I will keep my ear to the ground for a while, but this rest looks really good to me.

Thanks again,
Dwight

Dwight,

Very glad to help. This rest was suggested to me by a very experienced BR shooter and I respected both him & his suggestion. I have not been disappointed. One thing I forgot is that you should order a speed screw from Sinclair for it. Also, the Protektor bags are great. I have one each for the rest & rear bag.

Good luck in your pursuit of this crazy game! :)

Yours,

Steve

If there are matches in your area go spectate and check out the equipment. You can never go wrong copying what consistent match winners are doing.

BR help / advice

Dwight,
I've heard good things about the Greenlaw rests but haven't seen one in person. Off the top of my head I can't really think of another good rest in your price range. One thing you'll have to confirm before buying the Sinclair is that it has enough windage adjustment to go from one side of the WRABF target to the other without repositioning either your rear bag or the front rest. The older Sinclairs would not. I'm in the market for a cheap rest to use for a loaner at our club and recently tried out a Caldwell Fire Control joystick rest that a member has for sale. It also won't traverse an entire target at 25m. At least with the Greenlaw you have Steve's input that it will work.

Tony's recommendation on the Weaver T-36 scope is a great one. If you can find an older Sightron S-II 36X they are very nice also and about the same price as a used T-36. I have both.

You'll need a good set of wind flags too. Check the Classifieds on this site. I use the Wicks style dual vane flags because they are easier to read quartering winds with, something I've found even more critical with air rifles than when I shot rimfire. There are plenty of other good choices on there as well. You might want to get at least one wind probe, too. I sold both of mine at the Worlds and I REALLY missed them at todays match at Pinnacle Mtn in NH.

Lot's of little stuff you'll need too. Timer, small level for both your rest and the target, good rear bag filled with heavy sand (Sinclair carries the sand), an elbow pad of some sort, basic tool kit, etc.
Hope this helps,
Todd

Hi Todd,

You may not remember but, you advised me on wind flags previously.
I'm gradually learning to read them with more consistent results. ( notice, I said more consistent, ha )

Todd, I'd like you to know, I admire you guys, and respect what you did at the Worlds.

I follow you guys in the N E, and review all your match results, pics, comments etc.
I'd like to be set-up well enough by next season to make at least one of your matches.

Welcome any other comments, advice, you care to share.

E-mail - dwight@mcallis.com

Dwight,

If you're not too far away and have the time why don't you try to make either our first Indoor match of the season at Holbrook, MA on 10/5 or our last Outdoor match at Pinnacle Mtn. in Lyndeborough, NH on 10/26. That way you'll be able to see first hand what we are doing and using, will be able to get answers to all of your questions face-to-face, plus will be able to post a few scores of your own. This will do more to help you become familiar with the process than anything else, plus will let you see first hand what we are talking about. And don't worry about not being experience enough to compete because that's not the point. If you show up I'll bet by your second target with either one of your guns (28fpe is Open Class), our with ours, you'll get so hooked and educated at the same time that the smile won't leave your face all the way home, and beyond.

Hope to see you in the weeks ahead.

Dave

Trying to respond.

Having problems. This is experiment.

Later,
Dwight

Dwight,

The classifies can be a gold mine for equip, last matches of they year are good also.

Shadetree engineering makes a nice joystick rest, one of the guys I shoot with uses it for airgun and rifle. Very impressive, I have not used a Farley or seb so I'm not sure how it compares.

Do not buy a cheap rear bag. Spend the money for an Edgewood or protektor, one with a firm heavy bottom. This will have a big impact on your shooting and keep things very stable on the bench. +1 on wind flags also, ribbon will only tell you so much.

Whatever you decide, welcome to benchrest! The most frustratingly simple sport.

Shawn

Dave, Thanks for the welcome.

It will be late Spring before I can make one of you shoots.
When I do, I want it to be for for several days. I'm in IN, 30 mi. S of INDY. It will be a fairly expensive trip, for me.
For the next few months all my discretionary income will go to my new rifle, and BR equip.

I want that first shoot to be a special initiation event for my memoirs. Even if it's painful, Ha.

My rifle is still about 6 wks out. I have made arrangements with Dan B to fine tune the rifle after I have run about 1000 pellets thru it. If all stays on schedule, I hope to have the rifle back from Dan in early Dec.

You know," the plans of mice and men".

Thanks again. I'll be keeping an eye on you guys.

Later, Dwight

Shawn, I appreciate the encouragement.

I will give the classifieds a look. But, I'm always afraid I'll buy another guys problems.

Later
Dwight

Hi Todd,

You may not remember but, you advised me on wind flags previously.
I'm gradually learning to read them with more consistent results. ( notice, I said more consistent, ha )

Todd, I'd like you to know, I admire you guys, and respect what you did at the Worlds.

I follow you guys in the N E, and review all your match results, pics, comments etc.
I'd like to be set-up well enough by next season to make at least one of your matches.

Welcome any other comments, advice, you care to share.

E-mail - dwight@mcallis.com

Hi Dwight,
I do remember, just thought I'd put that out there for any lurkers that might be looking for advice too. Hope you can make it out for our NorthEast Reg. next year. I'm not sure if it'll be a sanctioned match at this point, but it'll be fun no matter what!
Todd

Todd,

I'm surprised to hear you reference the NE Regionals of 2014 as I had heard (from an unnamed source) that you weren't having them again :cool::cool::cool: Glad to hear otherwise.

Dave

Back