Bedding-Glue in Life Questions

C.L. Peterson

Whats the expected life of a glued in action for LV Benchrest gun?

How does one test to determine the stability of the "Glue in Job"?

Does anyone just "Re-glue after so many years or rounds fired"?

Reason for question is I know of 2 guns that were glued in about 18-20 years ago by a prominent stock maker and they have come unglued!
One completely fell out of the stock and the other one partially separated.
There was no evidence of mishandling or of abuse admitted to.

Anyone else know/hear of anything like this??

Just wondering!

CLP

I think you will find that prep is as important as glue,maybe more so. After bead blasting and degreasing I glue right away, not the next day. Oxidization starts to take place right away whether you can see it or not! The few that I have glued are twenty plus years an still are solid. I have a sleeved XP that Paul and Clyde Hart put togather over forty years ago and it is still good. In other words there are a LOT of good adhesives out there that work well as long as things are CLEAN!

Doc, I've seen good bedding jobs come unglued much quicker.
If the metal or stock isn't prepped properly, it's a sure thing in due time.
Not all bedding compounds are created equal either. Some shrink, quite a bit, over time.
No matter how good the bedding job is, solvents from cleaning can ruin the job if the owner isn't very careful when cleaning.
Leave your rifle in a car in the sun in the middle of summer and see what happens.
On the opposite extreme, ask TB what happened to his rifle while traveling to the worlds. Gets cold at 30,000 ft.

I hate the thought of taking a known shooter apart, so don't unless it gives me a reason to.

Glue it, screw it, and forget about it. The 30's changed how I look at straight glue ins. Sure, they'll usually be fine for a long time, but nothing ever fails when you have plenty of time to fix it and be ready for the next match. Pretty sure something to that effect is in the book of Murphy's Law. "Glue in's can only fail at matches"...or something like that.
Glue ins are basically a good bedding job without release agent. Why not put the screws to it to make sure?

Longevity has some to do too with the action. An action with vertical sides like a Panda where the potential shear is vertical will hold longer and stronger than a round action where the shear leverage is angular.

This is assuming the metal was properly prepped and a suitsble quality glue is used.

Funny story. One time CCBW and HFV were at a shoot trying to open a bolt that had too much Cherrios in the load. They broke the bolt handle off! They called George Kelbly for advise. George had them to "super glue" the handle back on. They did and the glue job held thru the match....go frigger!

Jerry is right on the vertical sides. Pandas hold better than any action out there. Even when you put release on em for initial bedding you still have to heat em usually. A hot car will break em loose alot too. I like to reglue mine often. Its a preventive maintenance thing

Re-Glue Time?????

Dusty Stevens-- A hot car will break em loose alot too. I like to re glue mine often. Its a preventive maintenance thing[/QUOTE said:
Dusty:

Do you have any criteria you use to determine if its "re-glue time".
Have you heard what others use as a criteria when to re-glue.

Are you aware of any testing methods to determine the status of the glue in job?

Thanks Dusty.

Thanks everyone for your response.

CLP

I just pry up on the barrel and push down on the forend with my thumb trying to break it loose. If i see movement at the stock line or hear a pop i reglue it. Sometimes its years.

Back