Bedding a Howa 1500

Who has done them? Are there any tricks specific to this action?

Who does commercial bedding on these rifle? May just have to send this rifle to someone who specializes on these actions. Any recommendation?

Nez

Nez, If you've bedded rifles before with good results, you should have no problems doing these. They have a couple of quirks but all types do. The couple I've done were conventional stocks...not those horrible Hogue things that come with either molded in pillars or a bedding block.

I made the pillars .562 O.D. (9/16"), .312 (5/16") on the I.D and .075 short of hard contact with the bottom of the lug and the rear action tang. The pillars extend to where the factory floor plate sits and the pillar bottom is is positioned there while the bedding compound sets up. I let the pillars set up in the stock for 48 hrs. before bedding the action.

The action screws are M6X1.0. so you can cut the heads off some long hardware store bolts and used them as locating pins. On both, I did a two point bedding deal....bedding under the front of the action (back to the magazine cutout) and on the rear tang 'tab' only where it sits on top of the pillar area (behind the trigger). The short flat sides of the action and the round sides make no contact with the stock (minimum.020 clearance).

Recoil lug sides get .020 clearance and the front .040 due to it's tapered shape down to the bottom...less chance for dinging the bedding up with plenty of clearance there as the stock comes on and off for maintaining, etc. The bottom of the recoil lug needs to be solidly on the bottom of the recoil lug mortise. I don't like the action sitting on dissimilar materials (aluminum pillars and bedding) so that's why the pillars are made 'short'...bedding goes on top of the pillars. One important caveat here...because the pillars aren't in hard contact with the action, don't go cranking the action screws down to draw the action into position, for obvious reasons. That shouldn't be done anyway, but it's important to understand this when you have clearance between the pillar and action. A light clamp works good as do several other methods.

From there on it's pretty standard 'Bedding 101' stuff. Make sure you have plenty of clearance around the action screw guide pins. The little 5/16" O.D./1/4" I.D. flanged Delrin sleeves I use for normal 1/4-28 action screws work well for centering these M6's (about .236-.238-ish). Just glue the sleeves into the bottom of the pillars and drill them out when your done. Relieve the edges and parting lines when you're done and radius the top of the bedding where the action screws come through.

For action screws, both used screws that were flat on the bottom where they contacted the recesses in the bottom metal. I used button head Allen head bolts and cut the O.D. of the button head down so they fit into the recesses of the bottom metal screw areas. It's possible you could reuse the factory screws but the button heads give a nice Allen head for snugging down rather than the factory bolts screw driver slot. I bed the bottom metal to the pillar bottoms as the final step. This gets rid of any flex as the bottom metal is tightened against the pillars.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Last edited:
Al,

Thank you for sharing, wealth of information.

I am terrible in bedding, so to get my 280AI that I just chambered I paid someone to do bed it for me. To checked the integrity, loosened the front screw, the 0.001 indicator went almoat one full rev. Field expediency, I just cut up a CC, and shimmed it, two layers to get it off the rocking point. Rifle surprisingly tracked well through mid range.

I am not even going to troubleshoot what's causing the action to rock, I will just make pillars and redo the bedding.

Moving forward,, I wish you could take on this bedding project. Like I said, I am terrible in bedding actions. I know my limit.

Nez

Nez
Check to make sure nothing is hitting the bedding. Trigger parts, pins etc. Often I have a surprise and I usually find something hitting the bedding.

Good advice from Dave, per usual.

Ditch the magazine, spring and follower right away when trouble shooting this stuff. After that, take a look to make sure the bottom of the recoil lug is contacting the bottom of the mortise. Lugs w/o an action screw in them need clearance. Ones with the screws in them need to be solid to the bottom of the mortise (Sako, Howa/Vanguard, etc). If not, it's going to go 'sproing!' when the front action screw is tightened/loosened. Make sure there is adequate room around the action screws.

Something like that should have a flashing neon arrow pointing to it!:eek:

Let us know. -Al

Dave and Al,

Thank you for all the tips.

I was fighting two fronts, the other was screwing up a CF Bartlein for my other hunting rifle. It was going to be a 300WM, but I grabbed a 300 WSM reamer instead. It was halfway through the chamber when I realized the reamer is awfully fat. Barrel is still chucked up, it will be a 30 Nosler. Awaiting reamer, die and brass.

Not wanting to deal with bedding the Howa last week I ordered a H/S Precision stock for it. Now, this thing is just as uncommon as the Howa recoil lug. It has two opposing set screws designed to be adjusted tight against the recoil lug. Never seen such a thing, I don't think I will mess with that one. Armed with knowledge from this thread, I will troubleshoot and re-bed the old stock.

Nez

Not wanting to deal with bedding the Howa last week I ordered a H/S Precision stock for it. Now, this thing is just as uncommon as the Howa recoil lug. It has two opposing set screws designed to be adjusted tight against the recoil lug. Nez

Now that's something I haven't seen before! :eek: -Al

Last edited:
Al,

I received the flanged delrin sleeves and the M6-1.0 all thread. Will start on this sometime next week after I finish the barrel I screwed up.

Nez

Attachments

• 20210928_183634.jpg
    20210928_183634.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 246
Al, I received the flanged delrin sleeves and the M6-1.0 all thread. Will start on this sometime next week after I finish the barrel I screwed up.Nez

Great...they will help more than you can imagine. :cool: Taper the bottoms of the guide pins so they don't grab the sleeves as they go through. A wrap of blue painters tape can also be helpful. -Al

Nez,
Take a look at Richard Franklin’s video on stress free pillar bedding. Well worth the $25-30 it costs, and will improve your bedding jobs immensely, even if you were more proficient at it. He goes through every step of the process in theory and in doing it. One of the best resources I’ve used, along with Hanbly-Clark’s book.

Nez,
Take a look at Richard Franklin’s video on stress free pillar bedding. Well worth the $25-30 it costs, and will improve your bedding jobs immensely, even if you were more proficient at it. He goes through every step of the process in theory and in doing it. One of the best resources I’ve used, along with Hanbly-Clark’s book.

Thank you, will look into it.

Quick Question

Who has done them? Are there any tricks specific to this action?

Who does commercial bedding on these rifle? May just have to send this rifle to someone who specializes on these actions. Any recommendation?

Nez
Where did you get the action. Is that the one that came with that Walmart budget rifle you bought over 20 years ago?

Virg

It was the same action, Virg. Time flies, my friend, 20 years ago I was in China for four years. Bought the Howa from Servuce Merchandise for 175 more like 35 years ago. It was a 270 back then when we used to hunt together.

Nez, the Howa bottom metal isn't as wonky as the 700's factory BDL stuff, but be sure to take a good look at what happens when you attach the bottom metal. I normally bed it to the stock, also.

If you do the dial indicator test and it's moves around a bit more than you'd like, remove the bottom metal and try it. -Al

Back