bbl removal help

I have used the same vise and action wrenches that Dennis uses for over 30yrs, have never had a problem with removing barrels, the most stubborn barrel i ever removed was on a Weatherby MK 5, that barrel was extreemley tight, George.

well, i did what jackie suggested.
machined an al alloy set of jaws for the bbl vice, cleaned with alcohol,added a paper gasket around the bbl and tightened up the vice.....ok real tight, 1 7/16 -3/4 drive socket on a breaker bar.

and we have success!

(opps)
next step is to polish the bbl....i'll make another post on that.

thanks
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been using a product called Simpson Acryllic Tie AT which is an anchoring adhesive dispensed through a hand held gun. I use oak blocks bored to 1 1/2 inches, coat the barrel with paste wax for release. The product is dispensed onto cardboard and mixed with a plastc knife ( I don't use the mixing dispensers as they are a one use item) spread the mixture intothe lower block,(wrap the barrel with tape to bushing diameter to center the barrel) place the barreled action into the block, coat the upper block and place over the lower block and push down tight. Coat the blocks before hand with grease so the epoxy bushing will release from the block. in about 10 minutes the blocks can be removed and the flash cleaned up and you are ready to go. I have never had one slip, they are easy to make, reusable and fast. With an internal wrench well torqued have an assistant place a brass bar or punch on the recoil lug and and slap it with a hammer this takes care of the most stuborn adhesives. Put saran wrap over the two nozzles on the cartridge of Tie and the plastic cap and it keeps for at least a year. I am sure any other anchoring product would do the same thing. Tap the bushing off with a hardwood block, they usually stay intact. Dale

I have used Brownell's vice and wrench with replaceable heads and there bushings for 15 years and never had a problem. I have made a few extra bushings from alloy to fit some barrels. A little heat with a propane torch for the stubborn ones always works. Heat until the sweat just goes away.

A good source for rosin is a music store. Comes in a small box as a solid block, used on fiddle strings. Just scrape off what you need with a knife blade. Works great.

Donald

A good source for rosin is a music store. Comes in a small box as a solid block, used on fiddle strings. Just scrape off what you need with a knife blade. Works great.

Donald

Johnny you rosin up your barrel and play your action hard........

Rosin sources

1/2 lb. Midway USA #846792
1 lb. Brownells #083-016-100

(Besides music and sporting goods stores)

Back