Bat S series actions

I have 2 model SVs. Both are glued into Leonard redwood stocks for short range LV. The first one has been a great shooter and helped me win a bunch of wood. I bought both rifles from another shooter that had too much equipment, so I can only take credit for fitting barrels. The glue in, done by Terry Leonard, has never come loose or needed to be re-glued. I have never had an issue with light primer strikes or any thing else. My striker and spring are factory original. If I was ordering an action to build another PPC I would probably get a DS just for the increase in bedding surface, but my results with the SV have been excellent. I especially like the easy bolt lift (as opposed to the 3L) and the short stroke. They are just a pleasure to shoot.

I have heard of others that did not have as good results as I have, needed tungsten washer behind the striker for good ignition, didn't stay glued in, etc. I didn't pick these actions, just got a good deal on them and was very lucky.

The SV is the lowest priced BAT action and a heck of a good deal. I would be willing to spend a little more for another model with more options available, but I sure would not pass up a good deal on a used SV.

I have had at least 15 different bat actions combos in a 6ppc rifle over the last 7 or 8 years. the two that stood out the very best are, One a Bat SV that Lester Bruno built, and a Model S that I currently shoot. I have been told to stay away from the smaller actions many many times.
I simply think some rifles shoot, and some just don't or wont. The action is only one part of the equation. Lee

Shinny, I don't know enough to give a quantitative answer to your question. I love BAT SV actions, mostly for all the reasons others seem to dislike them. They are short, stout, sturdy and a work of art to use. I have one in 30BR built by Jim Borden and one in 6PPC built by Dwight Scott. Either one of them will win a match for you if you're a good shooter. I knocked out 25X with the 30BR and have shot a number of tiny groups with the PPC, but never used it in competition.

From what I can tell, just about the only critical piece in a point-blank BR gun is the barrel. If you put a hummer barrel on a tuned-up M700 action and everything else is up to par, you'll likely have a shooter. With the original Krieger barrel, my 30 was a so-so shooter. I put on a new Rock Creek and the first five shots out of the barrel were all in one hole. Now my eyes are giving me so much trouble that my shooting is not a fair qualifier of the equipment. But, in my most-humble opinion the BAT SV still rocks and I love it.

Best of the New Year to you, my friend, and go find somebody for us to vote for ...

Reed

Thanx

To all who have posted. It's appreciated.

Reed, stay warm my friend................................Burrr:eek:

Back